Finance thread 2022.

Rev

52 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're only covered for up to 85k in any one bank under the FSCS.

Which is why even though the probability of a financial institution goes bust again is very low I never exceed this amount. 

Sound advice. 

I would also add, you should check that your savings and current accounts aren't under the same ownership but called different names, such as Natwest, Natwest One and RBS, as the 85k cap applies over all accounts held with the group, rather than each individual account.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're only covered for up to 85k in any one bank under the FSCS.

Which is why even though the probability of a financial institution goes bust again is very low I never exceed this amount. 

There is a different  reason why I never exceed having £85k in my bank account, but you are right if you did be aware of the FSCS limit. Company pension monies are different though.    

5 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Is this the thread i can go to for handy money saving tips or a thread for lefties to vent about Tories? 

Unless you're a banker and or paying the highest rate of tax.

The best money saving tip I'd offer to anyone. Is the first chance you get, vote out this group of incompetent charlatans that are presently masquerading has the UK government. 

10 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Is this the thread i can go to for handy money saving tips or a thread for lefties to vent about Tories? 

The most worrying thing in all this is when the other lot get in power, people think things are bad now (which in the grand scheme of things they’re not really…..lowest unemployment in years, tax and NI reductions putting more cash in your pocket, handouts to help with the increase in energy bill,  which by the way along with rising inflation the whole world is seeing not just the UK) but they’ll ignore all that and you’re right the noisy minority are creaming their pants this week. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The most worrying thing in all this is when the other lot get in power, people think things are bad now (which in the grand scheme of things they’re not really…..lowest unemployment in years, tax and NI reductions putting more cash in your pocket, handouts to help with the increase in energy bill,  which by the way along with rising inflation the whole world is seeing not just the UK) but they’ll ignore all that and you’re right the noisy minority are creaming their pants this week. 

Exactly! And we are now about to embark on a wonderful, sustainable growth period too (details tbc).

Aye things are great.

There's loads more food banks you can visit, you get to see a doctor in just three weeks, the police will definitely investigate that burglary that happened last year, must just be busy dealing with environmentalists before they get back to me. I don't know about your area but the roads are smooth as silk round here and it's great that we get to swim in seas and rivers that are only 5% raw sewage as well.

A tale of two cities indeed.

Edited by JoetheRam

13 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Aye things are great.

There's loads more food banks you can visit, you get to see a doctor in just three weeks, the police will definitely investigate that burglary that happened last year, must just be busy dealing with environmentalists before they get back to me. I don't know about your area but the roads are smooth as silk round here and it's great that we get to swim in seas and rivers that are only 5% raw sewage as well.

A tale of two cities indeed.

With the exception of your last point, you could have made exactly the same points under the last administration. 

57 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Exactly! And we are now about to embark on a wonderful, sustainable growth period too (details tbc).

For me anybody who supported the shut down over night of the economy  and global supply chains for pretty much over a year has absolutely no right to complain about the cost of living, no right at all, none, nothing. And FWIW the clown in charge of the other lot wanted it go on further 

Just now, TexasRam said:

For me anybody who supported the shut down over night of the economy  and global supply chains for pretty much over a year has absolutely no right to complain about the cost of living, no right at all, none, nothing. And FWIW the clown in charge of the other lot wanted it go on further 

If only us selfish granny killers had warned what a bad idea shutting down the economy was....

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

With the exception of your last point, you could have made exactly the same points under the last administration. 

So? Should things never improve just because the other lot never improved them (fwiw I don't remember food banks in 2009 and don't remember it ever being so hard to get a GP appointment but maybe I'm wrong?).

It's like the argument of "well, energy prices and inflation are high in other countries too" as if that's a justification for them being high here. The Government, governs (hah) the UK and aren't responsible for inflation or energy prices in other countries.

It's all just excuses.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Are you alright Jack?

Well after listening to a government spokesman on the radio this morning.  The recent actions taken by the chancellor hasn't caused a financial crisis. The pound hasn't been tanking and the 35 billion pounds the Bank of England spent trying to stabilize it, was just a normal days business.

Edited by 1of4

OK. I've deleted a bunch of off topic posts.

The thread was set up for people to offer practical ways to save money. Tips welcome.

I'll offer - once we get to Christmas, look for reduced cream after Christmas Day. You can churn it into butter and freeze it.

I picked up about 30 tubs of cream for about 10p a tub, and made around 30 blocks of butter for £3. 

How much would 30 blocks of Lurpak cost you today?