What players would you bring in on trial

B4ev6is

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Ellis Simms on loan if Rooney can get a favour out of Everton & Lampard wants to do us a favour too

Very much depends on the wage restrictions imposed in order to secure PL Loans.

Many of the PL Teams youngsters are on Championship Wages or better. Not sure what Simms wages are, but he signed a new contract in November.

16 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Keeping the best of what we have... then adding goals and experience!

Goals wise... Michael Smith (Rotherham), John Marquis (Lincoln) and, I think, Cole Stockton (Morecambe) are all out of contract at the end of the season and proven strikers at that level.

For someone younger, Kabongo Tshimanga (Chesterfield) would be well worth giving a go... he's a goal machine!

I think Smith is a really good player and quite underrated, I thought he was fantastic last season 

31 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You are looking at the wrong Smith....Matt is the finish(er) that we need.....

Disagree. Out of the two Michael Smith is better.

Over 15 goals and over a dozen assists and 2 years younger. 
He’s exactly the type we will need for League 1 in my opinion. Would prefer a younger version though as didn’t realise his age.

Matt Smith seems to be a player whose thrown on if you need something late in a game, and couldn’t see him playing a season.

Sounds arrogant but shows how we have fallen talking about these players for us.

Regards 

Gangway D from the terrace

I’m not a massive follower of league one or two football, however my thinking has always been that it would be possible to put a competitive squad together on frees and loans with the correct recruitment. A quick Google of out of contract players found a couple of articles in the local papers of Sunderland and Pompey suggesting good out of contract XI’s. The likes of Alfie May at Cheltenham who has 21 goals this season, Mark Sykes at Oxford who has 9 goals and 8 assists from midfield, Callum Lang at Wigan along with players mentioned earlier in the thread by other posters. 
IF we could sign a few of these experience League one options, and maybe those with potential from league two, along with some more premier league academy cast offs and re-sign some of the core of our current squad (Allsop, Bird, Davies, Byrne, Ebiowei, Cashin, Fozzy) there’s a good mix of people who know the club, the coaches and the city as well as the plight they’ve shared, supplemented with some know how and fresh blood from league one/two. More goals, pace and athleticism etc so that we can compete and succeed.

It is of course all dependent on the takeover actually happening, the recruitment being correct, the EFL business plan allowing us to appeal compared to other clubs (would hope Rooney, the facilities, the fans and the story of our resurrection might help) but with my optimistic hat on, it IS possible to get a good squad together on a strict budget. 

These are two of the articles if anyone wanted to read;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-best-out-of-contract-league-one-squad-based-on-ratings-including-two-oxford-united-two-wigan-one-portsmouth-and-four-wycombe-aces-3650880?page=1 

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/the-league-one-xi-of-players-set-to-be-out-of-contract-including-sunderland-sheffield-wednesday-charlton-and-rotherham-men-3629514?page=2

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added links

39 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

He’s exactly the type we will need for League 1 in my opinion. Would prefer a younger version though as didn’t realise his age.

Matt Smith seems to be a player whose thrown on if you need something late in a game, and couldn’t see him playing a season.

Sounds arrogant but shows how we have fallen talking about these players for us.

Regards 

Doctor Who Hello GIF by BBC America

Matt might be busy 

57 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

Regards 

Nah, I will stick with Matt....

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Steve Nicholson taking the piss! 

Choice of cover image is clearly to drive clicks isn’t it?! The article does have a comprehensive list of champ freebies from all clubs, some would be great additions but will be in demand and possibly out of our reach with wages etc. Again, a lot could depend on the attraction of the club, working with Rooney, the chance to play a part in our resurrection etc etc. Would love the likes of Cahill or Jagielka along with Davies and Cashin as our cb options next year, perhaps with one other younger lad, however it’s fairly unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not a massive follower of league one or two football, however my thinking has always been that it would be possible to put a competitive squad together on frees and loans with the correct recruitment. A quick Google of out of contract players found a couple of articles in the local papers of Sunderland and Pompey suggesting good out of contract XI’s. The likes of Alfie May at Cheltenham who has 21 goals this season, Mark Sykes at Oxford who has 9 goals and 8 assists from midfield, Callum Lang at Wigan along with players mentioned earlier in the thread by other posters. 
IF we could sign a few of these experience League one options, and maybe those with potential from league two, along with some more premier league academy cast offs and re-sign some of the core of our current squad (Allsop, Bird, Davies, Byrne, Ebiowei, Cashin, Fozzy) there’s a good mix of people who know the club, the coaches and the city as well as the plight they’ve shared, supplemented with some know how and fresh blood from league one/two. More goals, pace and athleticism etc so that we can compete and succeed.

It is of course all dependent on the takeover actually happening, the recruitment being correct, the EFL business plan allowing us to appeal compared to other clubs (would hope Rooney, the facilities, the fans and the story of our resurrection might help) but with my optimistic hat on, it IS possible to get a good squad together on a strict budget. 

These are two of the articles if anyone wanted to read;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-best-out-of-contract-league-one-squad-based-on-ratings-including-two-oxford-united-two-wigan-one-portsmouth-and-four-wycombe-aces-3650880?page=1 

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/the-league-one-xi-of-players-set-to-be-out-of-contract-including-sunderland-sheffield-wednesday-charlton-and-rotherham-men-3629514?page=2

Good post and totally agree with the sentiment, also some good possible player suggestions. 

You  can build a squad which should compete in League One through being shrewd in the transfer market with out of contract players.

I am sure many would want to come and play for Rooney at one of the bigger clubs which will be in League One. 

Just hope we can keep the young players mentioned and the playing style and we could surprise a few teams next season - it could be better then many expect. 

Regards

My expectations are high as long as Rooney keeps the players he wants and adds some squad depth.

Dont forget we are not a relegation team based on playing performances and actual points gained so see no reason why we can't do really well next season.

Maybe even still in this league..it's still possible.

Edited by Yani P

7 minutes ago, Yani P said:

My expectations are high as long as Rooney keeps the players he wants and adds some squad depth.

Dont forget we are not a relegation team based on playing performances and actual points gained so see no reason why we can't do really well next season.

Maybe even still in this league..it's still possible.

Good post. When you look at Wycombe and Rotherham who were relegated last season and struggled in the Championship, they are performing well in League 1 ( and long may that continue for WW). With a few additions and no penalties we would be comfortably mid table this season.

Looking forward to the establishment of a quality scouting network, an absolute must once we have a new owner.

Looking forward to the serious bidding war for the best free agents once we are allowed to do that by the efl.

Realistically we might be able to sign 3 or 4 quality free agents in the summer, rooney says he wants upto 40 new players across under 23 and first team players.

I just hope we can bring in a few forwards, whomever, however and wherever from. We’ve been desperate for a goal scorer and some attacking flair for a few seasons now, let’s hope we can get some gems for L1 just like Gee and Davison.