World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

4 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

If diversity is such a good thing why can't we respect the cultural norms of Qatar. If everyone has the same laws and cultural norms then that's not diversity. Religion is very important to people in that part of the world and gay sex is prohibited by their religion. Why should the West try to force their cultural norms on the rest of the world.

Brave post 

I lived in China for a while and was surprised at how many smart, liberal, highly educated Chinese were disparaging of Western moral imperialism. As they saw it, individual human rights over wider social objectives of prosperity and ‘harmony’ was not necessarily the right choice. 

But for my money religious fundamentalism and theocracies are much more difficult to defend. Religion as a tool of the ruling classes and all that ... 

2 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

No one could afford to do a statistically meaningful survey about what all the people in the world think about anything. That doesn’t mean you can’t talk about people might think otherwise we’d be silent on most topics. My belief is based on a thought experiment.

LGPT rights is a thing mainly confined to American, other English speaking countries and Western Europe. That population is small compared to the rest of the world. It is probably only about a third of the population of India alone.  In my thought experiment I just imagined a random person in somewhere like India, Nigeria or Indonesia watching the German protest and asking what it was all about. On hearing that the Germans are demanding that people should be able to change sex at will or marry someone of the same sex I would assume that these people would burst out laughing at the absurdity of it.

In terms of the world population we in the West are a small fringe group with offbeat ideas.

I’m sure human rights laws are fairly universally adopted. Apart from in the few places that famously don’t adopt them. 

11 hours ago, Skin em Ted said:

Ok, fair enough... et pardon mon ignorance!

Maybe as a Derby fan I just don't like to see non-football folks de-briefing in the dressing room, regardless of the circumstance.

Perhaps more acceptable in French culture also? I can't help but feel if Bojo tried this after the Euros final - looking like a sackful of yoghurt with his England shirt over his suit - he would've quite rightly been derided, and hopefully canned out of there!

Forgive me for being cynical over the way he was clinging on to Mbappe like a piece of driftwood however, I think he physically tried to rub off a bit of magic at one point.

Nothing to pardon mate. I'm not really defending Macron as such and I didn't see him dry-hump Mbappe's leg, just thought his speech to the 'troops' had its heart in the right place.

18 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

They were laughing.

If diversity is such a good thing why can't we respect the cultural norms of Qatar. If everyone has the same laws and cultural norms then that's not diversity. Religion is very important to people in that part of the world and gay sex is prohibited by their religion. Why should the West try to force their cultural norms on the rest of the world.

Re. the loss of lives, as far as I know only three people died building the stadiums. In the early 1970s I worked on a construction site in the UK where more than three people died on site over about three or four years and that didn't even make the national papers. Many migrant workers have died building other things in Qatar but the death rate for migrant workers in Qatar is lower than that in their own countries. Most people brought up in the Third World have not had access to medical care as children and they are not as healthy as people in First World countries. A lot of migrant deaths in Qatar can be attributed to general ill health. A doctor who had done research in Central Africa told me that the average person there has so many parasites that it is amazing that they have the strength to do any work at all.

I can only assume this is an attempt at satire, because if it's serious, it's the biggest pot of arse-gravy I've yet read on this forum. 

16 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A lot of miserable barstewards in here!

Stopped reading the thread as it just seemed to be full of people moaning about players, refs, commentators and pundits.  

We seem to have a lot of fans that love Derby but don't actually appear to like football very much.  Every club is no doubt the same.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I can only assume this is an attempt at satire, because if it's serious, it's the biggest pot of arse-gravy I've yet read on this forum. 

I can only assume you have no respect for the cultural beliefs of one quarter of the world's population. What happens in the West is of little concern to them. But when Westerners try to push woke culture down their throats in their countries then that is a different matter.

To them the West is a rich and decedent old man with no heirs. He will soon be gone and only remembered for his eccentricity. In not too many generations the West will just be a strange footnote in the history of the world. 

35 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I can only assume you have no respect for the cultural beliefs of one quarter of the world's population. What happens in the West is of little concern to them. But when Westerners try to push woke culture down their throats in their countries then that is a different matter.

To them the West is a rich and decedent old man with no heirs. He will soon be gone and only remembered for his eccentricity. In not too many generations the West will just be a strange footnote in the history of the world. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Stopped reading the thread as it just seemed to be full of people moaning about players, refs, commentators and pundits.  

We seem to have a lot of fans that love Derby but don't actually appear to like football very much.  Every club is no doubt the same.

I feel like it’s something to do with age. People falling out of love with the game because it’s no longer what it used to be.

46 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I'm not trying to push anything 'down their throats', I'd just like them to stop oppressing one half of the world's population and criminalising other people's sexual preferences. It's the 21st century, not the 7th. Any international tournament should be open to the enjoyment of everyone without fear. FIFA did not fulfill this requirement when choosing Qatar.

As for "rich and decadent old man"? Absolute LOLZ considering the life of the average Gulf Arab.

You're a Troll though, so these posts are unsurprising. I've seen your work before. I can't ban you from this forum, but I'd strongly recommend that someone with the power to do so does.

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm not trying to push anything 'down their throats', I'd just like them to stop oppressing one half of the world's population and criminalising other people's sexual preferences. It's the 21st century, not the 7th. Any international tournament should be open to the enjoyment of everyone without fear. FIFA did not fulfill this requirement when choosing Qatar.

As for "rich and decadent old man"? Absolute LOLZ considering the life of the average Gulf Arab.

You're a Troll though, so these posts are unsurprising. I've seen your work before. I can't ban you from this forum, but I'd strongly recommend that someone with the power to do so does.

Guy argued not arresting gay people is woke

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

9 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I only post on this site so I don't know where you think you've seen me before. Why do you call me a troll and why do you want to ban me? All I've said is that the world is a very big place and we in the West are a very small part of that. We should respect other cultures. 

Do you always want to ban people who write things you disagree with ? How does that fit with your comments about oppression? That smacks of hypocrisy. 

6 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Very similar to the matchday threads, then!