World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

9 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

What they can’t do from central London is spend hours before and after every match learning from all the world’s media pundits what is the scoop on this, that and the other. 
Which is what they do 

Didn't hear many scoops today. Would also expect the reporters to get these rather than the pundits.

No problem with reporters being there.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh I don't doubt that's the claim, Lineker covering himself and the corporation that pays him millions a year, including to go and stay in a 6 star Qatar Hotel for a month.

But it's drivel. It's very much Lineker and the BBC making a point and not letting the people watch the ceremony. Yes, those technically minded might have been able to stream it. I note Lineker doesn't feel strongly enough to make a stand and decide not to go and not to take the (vast amounts of money). For all of these people it's do as I say, as long as I make sure I'm all right jack. 

'Technically minded'?

You've got to push a bloody button.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Our ire should be directed at the people who made the decision to award Qatar the World Cup. Like politics, the people who make all the decisions in this world are rarely challenged on them, they always manage to turn it into a debate amongst the lower orders while they sit back and rub their hands counting the money.

You are right but I suspect that both the 2018 and 2022 World Cup decisions were based upon big brown paper bags may be even suitcases exchanging hands under tables  rather than anything to do with any bids. 

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Who is offside in this picture?! This is the point at which the ball was touched by the player

When the Free Kick was delivered into the box  - no one was offside. 

Although I originally thought it did, I don’t think the offside decision had anything to do with when the free kick was taken. No one was anywhere near being offside. I think it relates to what you might describe as the “next phase of play”.

When the ball arrived at that tangle between the keeper, the defender and the attacker it hit at least one of them. If it came off the goalkeepers gloves, as I originally thought, then there is no offside. However, if it came off the attackers head, as I now think it did, and fell for the Other Ecuador player in an offside position, then it is offside. OK, it may only have been part of his leg (you can’t see it from this picture) but they are the rules. VAR did it’s job (even if we think the rule is wrong) and the officials can’t say, we’ll let him off, it was only a part of his leg. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Half a limb, a full limb? Part of the torso? A full torso?

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Although I originally thought it did, I don’t think the offside decision had anything to do with when the free kick was taken. No one was anywhere near being offside. I think it relates to what you might describe as the “next phase of play”.

When the ball arrived at that tangle between the keeper, the defender and the attacker it hit at least one of them. If it came off the goalkeepers gloves, as I originally thought, then there is no offside. However, if it came off the attackers head, as I now think it did, and fell for the Other Ecuador player in an offside position, then it is offside. OK, it may only have been part of his leg (you can’t see it from this picture) but they are the rules. VAR did it’s job (even if we think the rule is wrong) and the officials can’t say, we’ll let him off, it was only a part of his leg. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Half a limb, a full limb? Part of the torso? A full torso?

Errr righteo. I mean seriously VAR did it's job. ?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Still not sure that I get it. The attacker who headed it was the one playing the ball. The guy he played it TO wasn't offside

Is this an obscure part of the offside rule that you can't play the ball forward if you are offside yourself, and I just don't know because it rarely/never happens?

When the freekick was taken, no one was offside, the player then ran into an offside position and headed it. What if he had headed it in? Would it have counted? 

4 minutes ago, David said:

So, after threatening players with a booking as they enter the pitch, the FA has bottled it in a non alcohol bottle of course.

FIFA need to get their head out of the sand...

It would've been nice if these football associations were brave enough to test the water. I still imagine it is possible for the captains to wear the One Love armband if they want to, and deal with the repercussions. Did Neuer get booked during Euro 2020 for wearing the armband? No.

It would be some statement if Kane wore the armband and the referee was lenient enough to let it slide.

10 minutes ago, David said:

So, after threatening players with a booking as they enter the pitch, the FA has bottled it in a non alcohol bottle of course.

bottled it? would you have preferred Kane to get booked every game, plus if he was substituted and passed the armband on, then that person would be booked

Just now, sage said:

bottled it? would you have preferred Kane to get booked every game, plus if he was substituted and passed the armband on, then that person would be booked

FIFA have not confirmed he would be booked, just that there was a risk. I would have gone for it for one game.

Not that I think gestures such as armbands really make a difference. More so to stick 2 fingers up at FIFA who's handling of the World Cup has been shambolic.

13 minutes ago, David said:

FIFA have not confirmed he would be booked, just that there was a risk. I would have gone for it for one game.

Not that I think gestures such as armbands really make a difference. More so to stick 2 fingers up at FIFA who's handling of the World Cup has been shambolic.

The trouble is then he is one booking away from a one match ban. Maybe he can wear it in post match interviews 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

The trouble is then he is one booking away from a one match ban. Maybe he can wear it in post match interviews 

Make Pickford captain then in armband only. If they book him, next game drop it, FIFA's reputation will be damaged further.

This could hit them where it hurts, in the pocket as advertisers start to cut ties. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

Politics politics politics, My guess and it's only a guess mind that Qatar complained to the Italian who had Ginger hair and Freckles, Then was bullied at school for being the above and an immigrant saying we can't have football authorities making their own decisions concerning armbands, What next taking the knee and then have the legs chopped off.

As Jimmy Cricket would often say..."come here, There's more" loving how this competition is slowly being unravelled ?