I’ve enough of football.

24Charlie

1 hour ago, Raminphilippines said:

I have been thinking for a few weeks the way to go might be a Phoenix League not just a Phoenix Club, A League that takes football back to its roots, where clubs only can play players from their own region. It would create more local interest and stop big transfers and salaries. 

Interesting idea but zero chance if happening.

30 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ve often thought that would be nice. But I’m not sure it’s practical. Just like national teams, where do you draw the line of someone being local. Can they have lived there for several years, can their grandma be from the place. Transfers have been around since literally the beginning when these Scottish lads were poached by one of the first football clubs (can’t remember the name, but it was on that series on prime or Netflix).

but I can eventually see something like a rugby league va rugby Union breakaway. I’ve never really understood the difference, but my impression is that one is very much all about the super league and the razzamataz, and one is more for the purists. 

I do find that this thought goes against everything I believe in, but then it should be considered as a sport first and a job second as it is not like other jobs. Maybe it could be done on the basis of you must have lived in a set radius of the club for at least the last 5 years to be eligible to play for them, and no Grandma rights.

5 hours ago, curb said:

I never realised that pic in the bottom rh corner is Derby away at Plymouth (I was there as well).

If you're talking about the F A Cup quarter final (and I was there too), then that took place 4 years after that album was released.

Half the fans in the country have claimed it was them, but the only thing certain it was taken in the 70s from an old BBC sound affects record and probably wasn't Derby fans.

But I guess it could have been.

30 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

If you're talking about the F A Cup quarter final (and I was there too), then that took place 4 years after that album was released.

Half the fans in the country have claimed it was them, but the only thing certain it was taken in the 70s from an old BBC sound affects record and probably wasn't Derby fans.

But I guess it could have been.

Yeah I know, I worked out later that it couldn’t have been 84 as they’d split up well before then.

(It’s a different picture on the BBC sound effects album btw)

Edited by curb

2 hours ago, Raminphilippines said:

I have been thinking for a few weeks the way to go might be a Phoenix League not just a Phoenix Club, A League that takes football back to its roots, where clubs only can play players from their own region. It would create more local interest and stop big transfers and salaries. 

Athletic Bilbao still use this system. 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

A grassroots revolution would have no impact what so ever. Do you really think the PL cares at all about clubs local communities and whether they attend games or not? They care more about the Chinese audience because that's where the money is.

Just look at American sports like the NFL because that's the way English football is heading. Where clubs severe all ties to their local city and become franchises, sometimes even relocating entirely. 

Within 5 years we'll probably see Man City play a PL game in Abu Dhabi or Man Utd play one in Florida, if the Super League hasn't been resurrected by then. Why would anyone from Manchester feel any connection to these clubs in any way?

I do think the PL cares about whether local communities attend games or not.  But only in a financial sense.  Premier league clubs aren't going to fill stadiums with 50,000 Chinese tourists every week and stadiums full of passionate noisy fans produce a league that is a far more marketable product than half empty stadiums. 

If Man City, Newcastle etc.. do turn into franchises and play their games in Dubai and Miami in the Sky Billionaire Global Football League....and local people still support them, then we, as fans, only have ourselves to blame.

19 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I do think the PL cares about whether local communities attend games or not.  But only in a financial sense.  Premier league clubs aren't going to fill stadiums with 50,000 Chinese tourists every week and stadiums full of passionate noisy fans produce a league that is a far more marketable product than half empty stadiums. 

If Man City, Newcastle etc.. do turn into franchises and play their games in Dubai and Miami in the Sky Billionaire Global Football League....and local people still support them, then we, as fans, only have ourselves to blame.

I agree they care about wanting to fill the stadiums for money, but my point was they don't care where the crowd is coming from or if the local communities feel represented. A lack of crowd doesn't seem to affect Man City that much and they've already experimented with artificial crowd noise last season.

Everyone still watched it after the creation of the PL in 1992 killed much of what was good about football and saddest part is, most people will continue to watch it even if all the clubs turn into franchises. Every time I see Newcastle now it makes me sad. How can such a historically working class city allow and encourage something so culturally important to them just be taken and exploited? and for what? their team to win more? pathetic. 

7 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

I think I've only watched 2 full games in the past year that haven't involved Derby, both lower league sides playing against someone higher up in a cup.

The way the past few years have played out for us and how we've been treated by everyone has left too sour a taste and the prospect of more of that to come just makes it all the less appetising.

Fed up of other clubs who've just lucked and had everything fall for them, but honestly that feels most clubs compared to us these days!

I haven’t watched a single whole game not  Derby live for 2 years. I really struggle with my mates’ Whatsapp group which are all on the “wow Liverpool this.. Man C that..” all  I want to say is hope Liverpool burn in premier league hell which is not adding much other than my friends thinking I’m weird..

15 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I agree they care about wanting to fill the stadiums for money, but my point was they don't care where the crowd is coming from or if the local communities feel represented. A lack of crowd doesn't seem to affect Man City that much and they've already experimented with artificial crowd noise last season.

Everyone still watched it after the creation of the PL in 1992 killed much of what was good about football and saddest part is, most people will continue to watch it even if all the clubs turn into franchises. Every time I see Newcastle now it makes me sad. How can such a historically working class city allow and encourage something so culturally important to them just be taken and exploited? and for what? their team to win more? pathetic. 

The fans reaction to the European Super League was encouraging at least.  It's hard to see how progress will be made while the billionaire owner model is still in place.

4 hours ago, Highgate said:

Would a salary cap in the Premier League help?   The thing is ....all the major European Leagues would have to do this together for it to be effective. 

Perhaps one day the players go to the trough for food and there’s nothing there, the organisations that put food in the trough have all starved to death. ???

There’s no way any organisation can survive, long term, when over 100% of its turnover goes in wages.

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I agree they care about wanting to fill the stadiums for money, but my point was they don't care where the crowd is coming from or if the local communities feel represented. A lack of group doesn't seem to affect Man City that much, and they had already experimented with artificial crowd noise last season.

Everyone still watched it after the creation of the PL in 1992 killed much of what was good about football, and the saddest part is most people will continue to watch it even if all the clubs turn into franchises. Every time I see Newcastle now, it makes me sad. How can such a historically working-class city allow and encourage something so culturally significant to them to be taken and exploited? And for what? Their team to win more? Pathetic. 

I think the super league highlighted two critical things. The distinction was made between 'legacy fans,' i.e., true fans from the area and 'future fans,' i.e., people abroad with 0 connection to the club and wanted to market more towards the latter and were even disdainful of the former. So there is a distinction to be made. Second, the idea collapsed like a house of cards because the 'legacy fans' are the fans, and ultimately, no sports team can survive without its fanbase. Even franchised units in America still need a 'home base' to play at; otherwise, they're just wandering badges that are homeless and despised in their cities. Fundamentally, those clubs can't be utterly divorced from their geographical locations; I'd suggest in England it'd be not very smart to attempt such an idea given the histories and identities that are layered upon football clubs. 

In his infinite wisdom, Simon Jordan claimed that we couldn't stop the super league because of the money involved; the idea lasted about a week before fans seemed willing to burn their clubs down before letting it happen. I think what will eventually happen is like almost all forms of markets that seem to be growing ever more they'll hit a brick wall. They'll be a mass crisis, and most premier league clubs will need to be bailed out. The tv revenue cannot continue to exponentially go up (there are only so many markets in the world), and there are a limited amount of sovereign wealth funds in the world. The result will be a radical change in the standings for a few years and maybe spending limitations implemented if we're lucky. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

11 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think the super league highlighted two critical things. The distinction was made between 'legacy fans,' i.e., true fans from the area and 'future fans,' i.e., people abroad with 0 connection to the club and wanted to market more towards the latter and were even disdainful of the former. So there is a distinction to be made. Second, the idea collapsed like a house of cards because the 'legacy fans' are the fans, and ultimately, no sports team can survive without its fanbase. Even franchised units in America still need a 'home base' to play at; otherwise, they're just wandering badges that are homeless and despised in their cities. Fundamentally, those clubs can't be utterly divorced from their geographical locations; I'd suggest in England it'd be not very smart to attempt such an idea given the histories and identities that are layered upon football clubs. 

In his infinite wisdom, Simon Jordan claimed that we couldn't stop the super league because of the money involved; the idea lasted about a week before fans seemed willing to burn their clubs down before letting it happen. I think what will eventually happen is like almost all forms of markets that seem to be growing ever more they'll hit a brick wall. They'll be a mass crisis, and most premier league clubs will need to be bailed out. The tv revenue cannot continue to exponentially go up (there are only so many markets in the world), and there are a limited amount of sovereign wealth funds in the world. The result will be a radical change in the standings for a few years and maybe spending limitations implemented if we're lucky. 

The Super League hasn't worked for now, but it will eventually. If there's money to be made, greedy people will continue to push it until it happens. The same thing happened with the Premier League in 1992, they said the 'legacy fans' wouldn't allow it but eventually it happened.

You say NFL teams need a 'home base', but sometime they even move cities entirely. The LA Rams moved from California to Missouri in 1995. The NFL now plays one game a season at Wembley. I could honestly see in the next few years, one or two PL or Champions League games being played in the Middle East or North America. For example Liverpool and Man Utds owners doing a deal to play a game at Fenway Park or the Buccaneers stadium. There'd be a lot of money to be made and therefore a lot of people pushing it.

The TV revenue isn't the problem, it's the owners of Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc. Where the TV revenue is an insignificant amount of their wealth. They buy these clubs because owning a culturally important asset gives them some security. they also use them to Sportswash, or in Abramovich's case literally laundering. The saddest thing is, you can say all this to the fans of these clubs but they still want it. I was watching the FA Cup earlier and Shearer made some ridiculous comment along the lines of: "fans are allowed to support and enjoy their team winning and be critical of their owners at the same time". He's trying to make himself feel better about being happy with Newcastle's owners but it's just a massive contradiction. How can you be unhappy with your owners but then enjoy and celebrate the success their dirty money created?

Yes, there's only a limited amount of sovereign wealth funds in the world but just one is enough to ruin it for everyone. The problem is once you allow these people to buy clubs, how do you go back? you can't just take it off them.

99% of the time I feel the exact same as you @24Charlie, then we go and play like we did today. I was nothing but proud.

I have no connection to Derby, never lived there, only ever been there for the football. my grandad from Shrewsbury started supporting us in the mid 60’s, my dad was born a ram in 1969, I was born a ram in 1992 and my son was born a ram 2021.

I hate football to the core, the money us mere mortals can’t even comprehend and the billions on offer for Chelsea is quite frankly disgusting! But Derby County is different… it’s a bond between 3 (soon to be 4) generations. 

I’m  very much done with football outside Derby County, I hate it and it disgusts me to my bones… but I’ll never be done with Derby County (or any phoenix variety) 

This club has given me years of joy with my dad and Grandad and I hope it’s still here when my boy grows up… and his boy…

i couldn’t give a toss about football apart from the rams on a Saturday (and super 6 but money is on the line)

COYR AND DUCK THE EFL! 

Edited by Ramslad1992

I agree Derby County is a fundamental part of people's lives, it can't just be defined as a football team. To me personally its memories.  Happiness...sadness..glory days and depressing days.. but days that form a bond inside of every fan.

I have supported this team all of my life..loved every minute of it..like others I've never lived in Derby but visited the place enough that it feels like family.

Today was a sad day for me, got a phonecall early in the morning here telling me my dad had been rushed into hospital back in the UK..87 years old and the doctor said he had fluid around his heart...his heart was failing..im a long way away in Canada..I called him on Whats App...what did he say to me? When does the game start.  Don't miss the game I'm fine....

He was off for tests..I watched the game the boys made me proud again as they do so often and I had another memory another addition to the bond of the Derby fan. My dad improved during the day, long way to go but they are pleased with him, responded well to the meds..will have a procedure on Monday that they hope will sort him out.

So life goes on..a traumatic day passes  in the life of a Derby fan.

Edited by Yani P

1 minute ago, Yani P said:

I agree Derby County is a fundamental part of people's lives, it can't just be defined as a football team. To me personally its memories.  Happiness...sadness..glory days and depressing days.. but days that form a bond inside of every fan.

I have supported this team all of my life..loved every minute of it..like others I've never lived in Derby but visited the place enough that it feels like family.

Today was a sad day for me, got a phonecall early in the morning here telling me my dad had been rushed into hospital back in the UK..87 years old and the doctor said he had fluid around his heart...his heart was failing..im a long way away in Canada..I called him on Whats App...what did he say to me? When does the game start.  Don't miss the game I'm fine....

He was off for tests..I watched the game the boys made me proud again as they do so often and I had another memory another addition to the bond of the Derby fan. My day improved during the day, long way to go but they are pleased with him, responded well to the meds..will have a procedure on Monday that they hope will sort him out.

So life goes on..a traumatic day passes  in the life of a Derby fan.

Best wishes mate. Hope your dad is on the mend soon.

Old people are fed up with football, its always the same. When I was a kid my dads generation were moaning about greedy footballers with long hair like George Best. The old players like Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney etc were working class lads who played for the love of the game according to them and it was true, but the world changed and footballers became famous and rich.

Nowt changes, old buggers like us will moan and say their done with it but thats always been the case. Young uns will take over and take up the challenge.

There is a huge young, vibrant fanbase in Derby right now and they will keep this club going like us lot did back int he 1980's.

Get involved, get angry, put pressure on Quantuma and the EFL, keep fighting. 

Come on you fecking big beautiful Rams.

I can see why people are so disillusioned with modern football, I’m one of them.

however, if there’s one thing positive to take away from this whole situation we find ourselves in it’s how it’s brought us all together.

The March to the stadium, paying off (and over) the St Johns Ambulance debt to name a couple of occasions where Derby fans have shown how much the club means to the area. If we start next season in League One on -15 points at least we’ll have a club to support and we should keep this Us against the world mentality ongoing.

Keep supporting the club and don’t let the fat cats ruin your love for football. I never wanted us to get promoted because of what the Premier League has become.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Old people are fed up with football, its always the same. When I was a kid my dads generation were moaning about greedy footballers with long hair like George Best. The old players like Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney etc were working class lads who played for the love of the game according to them and it was true, but the world changed and footballers became famous and rich.

Nowt changes, old buggers like us will moan and say their done with it but thats always been the case. Young uns will take over and take up the challenge.

There is a huge young, vibrant fanbase in Derby right now and they will keep this club going like us lot did back int he 1980's.

Get involved, get angry, put pressure on Quantuma and the EFL, keep fighting. 

Come on you fecking big beautiful Rams.

Just read that back and realised I'm rambling......its been a long day and I have drank too much Bass.

My little town today was surreal. Went into my local at 10.30 this morning, it was full of racegoers for the Midlands Grand National meeting at Uttoxeter Races. Some Millwall fans were in town early doors for their match at Stoke as well so with 15 of us Derby lads having a pint it was a fairly strange atmosphere at first.

Talking to the racegoers who support many different teams, mostly from Stoke, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Birmingham etc, and the Millwall lads, was quite interesting as they were all supportive of DCFC and Rooney. Very impressed with the way Derby have battled this season against all the odds. Quite a few made a point of saying Rooney has gone up in their estimation because of the way he has handled the situation.

Not much point to my drunken posting other than outside the Middlesbrough and Gumps hatefest we are seen as a fairly decent and loyal fanbase by most other clubs.