How many points to stay up

Archied

Felt a bit deflated when I read or heard the figure of 45 points for survival which even with our miracle stuff from Rooney and the boys seems a very tall order but thinking about it reading at fourth from bottom have a points deduction too and can’t see them reaching 45 points , don’t see Peterborough or Barnsley reaching that total so what number do we think realistically could keep us up and what’s the average points per game average we need and how close to that average are we now?

I imagine around 40 but I prefer not to think about it

Remember the season we finished 3rd a few years back, which would have seen us get top 2 in 19 out of the previous 20 seasons or something silly...

I'm just looking at 4th from bottom, and counting the points down

If we get within a win on the final day, we have a chance 

I think 7 wins will see us climb out the bottom 3. Possible winning home matches against Peterboro, Millwall, Barnsley, Coventry, Preston, Bristol and Cardiff. Could drop points against one of them 7 matches so Im looking at away games where we might sneak a win, Cardiff, Swansea, QPR or Blackpool. Then the draws could come from a number of games, like Middlesboro (a), Luton (a), Bournemouth (a) or Fulham at home.  

So 7 wins and 3 or 4 draws would give us 42 or 43 points which would be enough. We might need less if Peterboro and Reading keep up their current form until the end of the season. Injuries will also play their part, so lets hope we keep that down to a minimum and we get Kazim back. His experience will be required in some games. Also want to see our two Polish internationals playing together a few times before the season ends.

10 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I think 7 wins will see us climb out the bottom 3. Possible winning home matches against Peterboro, Millwall, Barnsley, Coventry, Preston, Bristol and Cardiff. Could drop points against one of them 7 matches so Im looking at away games where we might sneak a win, Cardiff, Swansea, QPR or Blackpool. Then the draws could come from a number of games, like Middlesboro (a), Luton (a), Bournemouth (a) or Fulham at home.  

So 7 wins and 3 or 4 draws would give us 42 or 43 points which would be enough. We might need less if Peterboro and Reading keep up their current form until the end of the season. Injuries will also play their part, so lets hope we keep that down to a minimum and we get Kazim back. His experience will be required in some games. Also want to see our two Polish internationals playing together a few times before the season ends.

I assume if we get to the final couple of games and are a couple of points ahead or behind Reading the EFL will decide they were harshly treated having the 6 point deduction instead of the proposed 9 and will reduce it further to 3.  Stake my ass on it. 

Replied to a tweet earlier asking where the points will be picked from so I had a go at it.

Couple of things first, this assumes we keep all key players fit and I should mention I have personally funded the Paddy Power Christmas party with my failed accas.

Don't worry, this isn't one of those daft predict a win in every game. I believe it's fairly realistic.

Will it be enough to stay up? No idea, that depends on the other teams around us. If they continue on the form they are, we should do it with ease, but you have to expect that at least one will go on a mini run at some point.

681028B7-D713-43FE-8AE0-2B1EC2890FD1.jpeg

The way the table looks right now it seems as though it's 3 from 4 to go down, with everyone above Reading pretty much safe. Is there any chance they might appeal their own points deduction?

While we've been playing so well, I can't believe the other three teams will continue to perform this badly for much longer. And there'll be a new kind of pressure for us if we can get to the top of this mini league within a league. It's also got to be likely Paunovic will be sacked at Reading and they'll become much more competitive. 

Reckon at least 45 points. I also think we can do that if Davies, Bielik and Lawrence stay fit.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is there any chance they might appeal their own points deduction?

Wouldn't have thought so.

Reading Football Club can confirm that we have accepted a penalty of a six point deduction as a result of exceeding the EFL’s Profit and Sustainability limits.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/november/17/club-statement---efl-confirm-points-deduction-penalty-/

35 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The way the table looks right now it seems as though it's 3 from 4 to go down, with everyone above Reading pretty much safe. Is there any chance they might appeal their own points deduction?

While we've been playing so well, I can't believe the other three teams will continue to perform this badly for much longer. And there'll be a new kind of pressure for us if we can get to the top of this mini league within a league. It's also got to be likely Paunovic will be sacked at Reading and they'll become much more competitive. 

Reckon at least 45 points. I also think we can do that if Davies, Bielik and Lawrence stay fit.

I put this forward earlier mate that I can see this happening.  As the EFL were so obliging giving them six instead of 9 and allowing them to bring in Carroll and Drinkwater 24 hours later, I can't see there being much problem obliging them with 3 more points to assist us further

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Wonder if Reading can afford to sack him as they are under embargo?