Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

The way that we have become a country of hysterics, reacting to anything with fits of rage, panic or over the top melodrama. Everything is an extreme now, nobody will, or is allowed to, change their minds without being criticised. It's making life impossible. It's what has ruined politics - there is no compromise allowed.

Not sure it's a phenomenon exclusive to this country - seems to be much the same in most western democracies

I've yet to speak to anyone who believes that it's a healthy way for us to be, but it's forced on us by the media, who have essentially realised that their business model is to monetise polarisation of views. It's like a vortex that it's hard for us to escape 

1 hour ago, TomBustler1884 said:

The way that we have become a country of hysterics, reacting to anything with fits of rage, panic or over the top melodrama. Everything is an extreme now, nobody will, or is allowed to, change their minds without being criticised. It's making life impossible. It's what has ruined politics - there is no compromise allowed.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say, I can't believe you even think that is a thing, I'm beyond offended you could even think I would think that like. And nothing you will say will change my point of view on that.

BBC sparks outrage for 'giving terrorists a platform' as Shamima Begum lands 10-part podcast to 'retrace her journey' as she tells how she left the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11622241/BBC-sparks-outrage-giving-terrorists-platform-Shamima-Begum-lands-10-podcast.html

The UK  bans her from the country because she is deemed a threat but the BBC gives her a 10 part podcast, this doesnt make any sense at all.

54 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

BBC sparks outrage for 'giving terrorists a platform' as Shamima Begum lands 10-part podcast to 'retrace her journey' as she tells how she left the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11622241/BBC-sparks-outrage-giving-terrorists-platform-Shamima-Begum-lands-10-podcast.html

The UK  bans her from the country because she is deemed a threat but the BBC gives her a 10 part podcast, this doesnt make any sense at all.

To be fair they gave her an iPad first, but she kicked up such a fuss about the human rights of children making Apple products, they agreed instead to give her a voice. She will be a character on Mrs Brown’s Boys come Christmas. Bookmark this.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

To be fair they gave her an iPad first, but she kicked up such a fuss about the human rights of children making Apple products, they agreed instead to give her a voice. She will be a character on Mrs Brown’s Boys come Christmas. Bookmark this.

Not matter what she's done, that's a  punishment too far.

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

If the UK government had blocked a BBC programme they would get criticised for policing the media - no fan of pretty much anything this government does but they kind of can't win. I won't be listening to the podcast but if one person learns from this the ways to avoid being radicalised it's got to be a good thing - yes? 

30 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

If the UK government had blocked a BBC programme they would get criticised for policing the media - no fan of pretty much anything this government does but they kind of can't win. I won't be listening to the podcast but if one person learns from this the ways to avoid being radicalised it's got to be a good thing - yes? 

The problem is will the podcast be potrayed in the manner where people can learn the right messages from it, I am begining to feel like Big Brother from Orwells 1984, but can we trust the BBC anymore to produce some thing without bias, they might end up with a podcast that makes her into some thing of a che guevara character.

20 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The problem is will the podcast be potrayed in the manner where people can learn the right messages from it, I am begining to feel like Big Brother from Orwells 1984, but can we trust the BBC anymore to produce some thing without bias, they might end up with a podcast that makes her into some thing of a che guevara character.

Car crash media rakes over the mistakes of one person and how they left both country and family for something they believed in, just so viewers can thrash over the sordid details. Surely not?????

Everyone cries about it - free advertising 

People get intrigued. Tune in to hate on it - because we can't just ignore things we don't like anymore (Piers Morgan, Katy Hopkins, Andrew Tate etc). 

People justify the BBC doing it by making it popular. 

I'm a Strictly Ice Dancer Get Me Outta Here appearance by 2024

Tin hat firmly on for this one.

Certain parts of the media who continually portray the motorist as the victim when talking about the increase in the number of parking fines and drivers caught by speed cameras.

I accept that some of the charges applied by third party enforcement companies are excessive and there will always be the rare exceptional case (“I was dropping my elderly relative off for a medical appointment and only went over by 30 seconds”) but councils, police etc don’t force people to exceed the speed limit or park illegally/without paying the correct fee.

Jackie Stewart, on BBC news about government investment in dementia because his wife has it, all the way from his tax haven in Geneva is just the sort of thing I need to boil my morning piddle. If you want to improve a country, live in it, pay your taxes and help fund those very things. If you don't, your choice but you lose the right to complain.

On 13/01/2023 at 12:56, Tamworthram said:

Tin hat firmly on for this one.

Certain parts of the media who continually portray the motorist as the victim when talking about the increase in the number of parking fines and drivers caught by speed cameras.

I accept that some of the charges applied by third party enforcement companies are excessive and there will always be the rare exceptional case (“I was dropping my elderly relative off for a medical appointment and only went over by 30 seconds”) but councils, police etc don’t force people to exceed the speed limit or park illegally/without paying the correct fee.

Don’t do the crime you don’t do the time. 

I see Derby has won £20 million to knock down the Assembly rooms and build a new theatre. After the fire in the Assembly rooms the Council did say the fire had damaged the plant room and it would be repaired in 6 weeks, this was 12/13 years ago.

I have very little confidence that anything will ever be built, the Assembly Rooms may be demolished but Derby Council will not have the money to build anything by then as the money will have all been spent on Consultants and Legal Fees.

I am always amazed by the council’s consistency, how do they always manage to put in such a poor performance, it probably takes practice and dedication???

What has become of that world class recycling plant they built in Sinfin Lane, it never worked and I understand that it has cost the Council millions in legal fees alone

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

3 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I see Derby has won £20 million to knock down the Assembly rooms and build a new theatre. After the fire in the Assembly rooms the Council did say the fire did damaged the plant room and it would be repaired in 6 weeks, this was 12/13 years ago.

I have very little confidence that anything will ever be built, the Assembly Rooms may be demolished but Derby Council will not have the money to build anything by then as the money will have all been spent on Consultants and Legal Fees.

I am always amazed by the council’s consistency, how do they always manage to put in such a poor performance, it probably takes practice and dedication???

What has become of that world class recycling plant they built in Sinfin Lane, it never worked and has cost the Council millions.

Are you going political ?

1 minute ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I see Derby has won £20 million to knock down the Assembly rooms and build a new theatre. After the fire in the Assembly rooms the Council did say the fire did damaged the plant room and it would be repaired in 6 weeks, this was 12/13 years ago.

What has become of that world class recycling plant they built in Sinfin Lane, it never worked and has cost the Council millions.

Bizarrely, I was under the impression the façade was listed as a perfect example of brutalism architecture not long ago so not sure what bits they can get rid off.  Bet they put up something even worse.  Something made of copper that will be dribbling green rust everywhere in 10 years most likely.