Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

9 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

^^^THIS^^^

*As long as you substitute @Boycie's sand stone for my 4" thick patterned concrete... oh, and I replaced about 40m of 6ft privet with wooden fence panels too.

I haven't mowed, trimmed, or dumped at the tip for 9 years!  Score!  ?

Pleased to hear it. 

8 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

From the “get go”. Aaargh! I know it’s from Get Ready, Steady, Go but what’s wrong with From the start or From the off or From the beginning?

These creeping Americanisms are slowly spreading…

On a similar theme of creeping Americanisms, we've just been invited to a gender reveal party. 

What the actual fook is that about?

Surely the parents know?

I wondered if we'd all been invited down to the hospital when she has the initial scan, all craning for a better view of the monitor trying to distinguish umbilical cord from genitals, or not, as the case may be.

Then I realised it's being held at their own house, and marvelled at the over stretched NHS sending along an obstetrician along to attend the event and make the reveal, maybe things aren't as bad as the press make out.

While musing this out loud, my son informed me I was misguided in my wonderings. 

Apparently, some people who go down this path ask for the gender to be sealed in an envelope, then hand over this paper sheath of utter  pointlessness to a party organiser, who fills a balloon, pinata or some such form with confetti matching the matching generally accepted gender colours of pink or blue.

If that was my job, I'd be fired after 6 months.

When they marched in to demand an explanation, and I gave them a tin of pink or blue paint, a paintbrush and no apology.

On 14/08/2022 at 12:52, Turk Thrust said:

From the “get go”. Aaargh! I know it’s from Get Ready, Steady, Go but what’s wrong with From the start or From the off or From the beginning?

These creeping Americanisms are slowly spreading…

The phrase "uptick" - as in "we are seeing an uptick in sales". Does the word 'increase' not quite work to describe that? It seems to cover most of the needs of expression in the sentence so I struggle to see the place for "uptick" in our vocabulary. It adds nothing, except making people sound like David Brent.

18 hours ago, Rev said:

On a similar theme of creeping Americanisms, we've just been invited to a gender reveal party. 

What the actual fook is that about?

Surely the parents know?

I wondered if we'd all been invited down to the hospital when she has the initial scan, all craning for a better view of the monitor trying to distinguish umbilical cord from genitals, or not, as the case may be.

Then I realised it's being held at their own house, and marvelled at the over stretched NHS sending along an obstetrician along to attend the event and make the reveal, maybe things aren't as bad as the press make out.

While musing this out loud, my son informed me I was misguided in my wonderings. 

Apparently, some people who go down this path ask for the gender to be sealed in an envelope, then hand over this paper sheath of utter  pointlessness to a party organiser, who fills a balloon, pinata or some such form with confetti matching the matching generally accepted gender colours of pink or blue.

If that was my job, I'd be fired after 6 months.

When they marched in to demand an explanation, and I gave them a tin of pink or blue paint, a paintbrush and no apology.

I was speaking to someone recently who said the NHS have put a stop to the envelope business. I think the doctors/nurses were getting fed up of being messed about.

Also, blue/pink, binary gender choices, not even asking the foetus how it identifies or what pronouns it would prefer before assigning a gender? This is all highly problematic. I'm getting triggered just thinking about it.

57 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The phrase "uptick" - as in "we are seeing an uptick in sales". Does the word 'increase' not quite work to describe that? It seems to cover most of the needs of expression in the sentence so I struggle to see the place for "uptick" in our vocabulary. It adds nothing, except making people sound like David Brent.

Not come across that word. Sounds awful. I’d have used “rise” or “improvement”.

On the subject of Americanisms being slowly absorbed into British English, we should remember that many words we use are Americanisms that have successfully invaded British English. The list of them is lengthy—and includes “lengthy,” as well as “reliable,” “talented,” “influential,” “realistic” and “tremendous”: “All of these words we use without a second thought.  Those seemingly innocuous words caused fury at the time in the 19th and 20th centuries. “Hospitalisation” is a more recent one as is “tailback” . 

however some of the very recent ones are not if the same calibre and are just silly

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

On the subject of Americanisms being slowly absorbed into British English, we should remember that many words we use are Americanisms that have successfully invaded British English. The list of them is lengthy—and includes “lengthy,” as well as “reliable,” “talented,” “influential,” “realistic” and “tremendous”: “All of these words we use without a second thought.  Those seemingly innocuous words caused fury at the time in the 19th and 20th centuries. “Hospitalisation” is a more recent one as is “tailback” . 

however some of the very recent ones are not if the same calibre and are just silly

And we've also pinched a shed load of French words since 1066 that's one in the eye for our Germanic language ?

2 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Spare a thought for our friends across the water. After all, if we Brits get fed up with other Brits using a few of their words and phrases, I'd imagine our US counterparts must be permanently apoplectic given how many of our words they've ended up using.

I think just that just on its own would probably be enough to put me off being an American. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Under the general topic of "some people just need a good hard slap to bring them to their senses" I offer this little gem:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/08/york-parents-offended-by-new-ride-which-contains-the-word-dick-17147144/

A good job that well known 60s cook Fanny Cradock is not alive today...cheeses christ some people Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Under the general topic of "some people just need a good hard slap to bring them to their senses" I offer this little gem:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/08/york-parents-offended-by-new-ride-which-contains-the-word-dick-17147144/

Oh the irony.

But tbf, if I owned the place I'd agree and change the name.

I'd change it to Knob Turpin just to pizz them off some more.

Edited by Bob The Badger

People who say "It made me feel physically sick" or "sick to my stomach" as a reaction to a mildly disturbing sight, smell or thought. As opposed to what, mentally unstable? Sick to your forearms?

People who say "tunafish" instead of just tuna. Nobody says "codfish and chips", "salmonfish & watercress sauce" do they? Stop it! We all know what tuna is!

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

They'll be changing the name of a well known pantomine next and gone will be the classic phrase - "it's nearly midnight and still no sign of dick"

Clothes sizes.

I range from anywhere between XL and 3XL, even with the same brand.

I shop online as the high street is pretty much dead, I can order 2 t shirt's, 100% cotton, regular fit, same brand, same size. 

One makes me look like a first attempt at making a sausage, the other perfect, how? 

It's got to the point now where I'm ordering multiple sizes of the same item just to make sure I get one that fits.

9 minutes ago, David said:

One makes me look like a first attempt at making a sausage, the other perfect, how? 

It's got to the point now where I'm ordering multiple sizes of the same item just to make sure I get one that fits.

Sounds to me like you should take it up directly with the Victoria's Secret customer services

3 hours ago, David said:

Clothes sizes.

I range from anywhere between XL and 3XL, even with the same brand.

I shop online as the high street is pretty much dead, I can order 2 t shirt's, 100% cotton, regular fit, same brand, same size. 

Change your mirror 

image.png.e5a92a5def47b5d368720c7d20f068b6.png