1 Year of Wayne Rooney

Day

1 Year of Wayne Rooney  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The hotel room fart jokes seem so long ago now.

He's had so much greif in the last year I'm starting to wonder if he commited some serious wrong in a previous life (i dunno, played for leeds or something).

But seriously, I went with very good, because i still think we should've been way more comfortable last season - however, this season he has been magnificent under the most difficult circumstances.

I don't think anyone could have done more than hes done this season, and he's done it with such grace, courage, detemination and passion that i don't have a word to say against him. And he's won me over from being very skeptical.

18 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why would walking away be easier?

He is in his first job as arguably the highest paid Championship manager with zero pressure on him and he can’t be sacked. Derby’s situation is dire and I’m sure Rooney would want better players, the ability to spend money and the chance of promotion. But from a managerial perspective, it is an excellent pressure-free opportunity to learn the job… His first job. 

Saying all that, I think he has been brilliant for the club over the past two months.

Nah, we could have easily gone down not showing any fight, just accepting relegation as an inevitability feeling sorry for ourselves.

Against the odds he helped convince some aging players to join us in the summer for peanuts and blooded some youngsters into a team that gives 100% week in, week out.  

The day after he says the preferred buyer is due to be announced, the EFL shaft us, a key defender leaves, we receive a bid on a midfielder and know that others will have to be sold to ensure we even have a club in February.  Yet the players still give 100% and we climb off the bottom of the league for the first time. 

It would be easy to walk away, get another job where he has a squad to work with a backing to improve it.  We we're odds on to sink into Division 1 this season without putting up a fight - Rooney's motivation and ability would have been questioned regardless and his next job would not have been an attractive one. 

As it happens Wayne Rooney *is* the club atm, he is leading us on and off the pitch and given everyone the belief that we can still achieve the impossible.  Yes he had everything to gain, but he also had a lot to lose as well.  Walking away would have at least given him a blank slate, instead he'll probably get the Everton job. 

Excellent. What he has done in the 26 games this season is remarkable. It’s churchillian. With everything going on to galvanise the team as he has it’s unbelievable. If he keeps us up then shearer’s right, he deserves the keys to the city. We should also build a statue in his honour. His leadership in the most difficult moment in this clubs history has been outstanding. 

I hope it doesn’t all end now, both with club being kicked out the league and Wayne going to Everton but if this is the end of Derby County as we know it, or the end of Wayne Rooney or both, I will cherish this season forever.

Do we pay Rooney’s wages or is it 32 Red? I am assuming that if Everton want Rooney they would have to pay some form of compensation to Derby. In this scenario the adminstrators would probably bite their hand off if the compensation keeps the club Alive for the rest of the season. They will then just appoint someone within the club/Rosenior to manage the team until the end of the year or takeover conclusion. 

But I assume that is only if Derby have Wayne tied to a contract and not 32 red? 

If he does go, he will go in my opinion with a lot of respect from Derby fans. He’s given everything. Only one man to come in if he does go if we can tempt him out of retirement. 

Enter Neil Warnock. 

Edited by belperram9

I think he's been great and is really starting to put his stamp on our style of play. Also want to add Liam Rosenior deserves a bit of recognition too stood by Wayne and worked tirelessly to help us. I would have no objection to him running the show till season end if Wayne was to follow his Everton dream. 

I went for very good.  If it wasn’t for last season it would have been excellent.  I thought he should have gone at the end of last season.  But this year he’s shown what a great leader he is.  He’s arguably got the toughest job in football but he’s somehow managed to get the mixture of youngsters and journeymen to run through brick walls for.  And all this through the many obstacles thrown in his path.

9 minutes ago, Rammed79 said:

I think he's been great and is really starting to put his stamp on our style of play. Also want to add Liam Rosenior deserves a bit of recognition too stood by Wayne and worked tirelessly to help us. I would have no objection to him running the show till season end if Wayne was to follow his Everton dream. 

I agree with your support of Liam. But as for him standing in...there aren't enough notes to hand out to the players for that to be a good idea!

Why would Everton go for Rooney, still a rookie manager, after what happened with Lampard and Ole at Chelsea and Man United respectively.

Even if they believe Rooney will be a better manager, it's still a risk. Just leave him alone, he's doing a good job at Derby and won't leave this club mid season after everything that has happened.

If Everton desperately want a manger with a genuine affinity with the club, why not just give it to Duncan Ferguson?