The Administration Thread

Boycie

11 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

God knows how many years ago mid to late 60s I guess, But PP was a waste tip, Me and my mates would play on Chadd Park then mooch over to the waste tip across Pipe bridge over the river Derwent...so Tex it was a joke ?

I had a v quick look but didn't see any reference to what the landfill might have been (best guess is for the locomotive works? Unless anyone who was alive at the time can shed light).

But yes, I thought it was well known pride park was built on infilled land.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I had a v quick look but didn't see any reference to what the landfill might have been (best guess is for the locomotive works? Unless anyone who was alive at the time can shed light).

Where the Wyvern is now it used to be Chadd Siddings(Railway),The A52 was an old Canal which was filled in way before my time, There was a farm close by(at the bottom of Meadow Lane) where we'd go potato picking for a shilling a sackfull, Paid to us by the Farmer.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Wilmorton College was built on the tip. Even though the foundations were piled on most of the buildings, some of them still suffered badly from settlement and movement problems. I think that's why it was eventually redeveloped for housing, because it was costing too much to repair and maintain. 

I think Pride Park was associated with the old Town Gas Works and was thus heavily contaminated by toxins. I believe the land was remediated in some way when it was developed to make it safe, though it may still be barred for housing use for health reasons, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

God knows how many years ago mid to late 60s I guess, But PP was a waste tip, Me and my mates would play on Chadd Park then mooch over to the waste tip across Pipe bridge over the river Derwent...so Tex it was a joke ?

My mother refers to it as Dead Man's Lane. I recall it as an area of goods sidings in the 1970s. 

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

My mother refers to it as Dead Man's Lane. I recall it as an area of goods sidings in the 1970s. 

Deadmans Lane is off London Road near the Portland Pub, Which runs to where Bombardier is now.

Chadd sidings is where all the trains parked up well away for Deadmans Lane, We used to put a penny (1d) on the tracks...wait...then collect a piece of flat copper, You could get 2 black jacks for a penny in the 60s, We were minted ?

12 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

As far as I remember visiting the area beyond the railway bridge on deadman’s lane as an apprentice , the East Midlands Gas centre was there and beyond that we’re the gas hoppers, (only just removed).  I remember it being a vast open site with a few small brick buildings on it.

Maybe there was a “town gas” generating plant there prior to North Sea Gas coming? Probably would explain the poisonous soils?

Edited by Boycie