The Administration Thread

Boycie

What I find most surprising about all this is how Mr Clowes has managed to persuade his board of directors (assuming there is one) that it’s a good idea for a decent sized developer to buy a failing football club (aka a money pit).
Maybe the company is set up so that he  makes all the decisions and the buck stops with him (I don’t know a lot about how private businesses like this are run), but even if this were the case, his accountants must be telling him it’s a risky business. Must be a very big fan to risk the family legacy! 
We’ve seen before how the siren-call of buying the club you support has seduced many a wealthy man and turned them poor. But they were - presumably- generally using their own money. This is a business buying the club. Might this mean a more sensible approach to expenditure (aka a few years of stabilisation and transition… which isn’t necessarily a bad thing)? 

I’m not knocking him; very grateful. Just surprising, is all.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just a guess

Fair enough. 

I could see him (or someone like him) taking the job temporarily - the whole process has been rushed, so it's quite possible Clowes hasn't had chance to even think about appointments yet.  But I don't see how he can do the job at the same time as his current job full time, and I don't see him leaving that job for this one.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Clowes' right hand man, Ian Dickinson, will likely be the CEO

I highly doubt it, certainly not for the long-term, Clowes Developments is a far bigger business than DCFC so it will likely be external appointments who ultimately run the club.

People won't like it but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephen Pearce retained for at least the first few months.

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

What I find most surprising about all this is how Mr Clowes has managed to persuade his board of directors (assuming there is one) that it’s a good idea for a decent sized developer to buy a failing football club (aka a money pit).
Maybe the company is set up so that he  makes all the decisions and the buck stops with him (I don’t know a lot about how private businesses like this are run), but even if this were the case, his accountants must be telling him it’s a risky business. Must be a very big fan to risk the family legacy! 
We’ve seen before how the siren-call of buying the club you support has seduced many a wealthy man and turned them poor. But they were - presumably- generally using their own money. This is a business buying the club. Might this mean a more sensible approach to expenditure (aka a few years of stabilisation and transition… which isn’t necessarily a bad thing)? 

The Clowes Trust own 75% of the shares in the company and can remove any of the Directors of Clowes Development, without approval from the other directors...

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

In all fairness, they are also buying a piece of real estate with an independant valuation of over £80m for a total cost of £45m ish (including the club). No need to be a money pit if they run things sensibly.

23 minutes ago, wombatram said:

Anyone not just a little curious that this has been completed very quickly? 

Would love to know how close the Clowes group is currently, with a certain figure of the past… ?

Not really.  These things are always settled at the very last minute.

Detail can be worked out quite quickly - it is price that is difficult.

Think long distance indoor cycling - you go round and round for an hour, but sprint on the last lap!!

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

In all fairness, they are also buying a piece of real estate with an independant valuation of over £80m for a total cost of £45m ish (including the club). No need to be a money pit if they run things sensibly.

The question is do you believe the valuation - and if you do, other than the club what do you put there?  

Agreed on point two - I think he'll be here for five years minimum, as that is what it is going to take to get debt under control, the ship steady and so marketable due to fanbase.