The Administration Thread

Boycie

36 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think people are over-estimating League One. The average wage in the division is somewhere in the region of what a good second hand car salesmen makes. In fact, it's known that a lot of the better players prefer to play in the National League as it's part time and they can earn the same amount of money than they can playing full-time in League One and Two. 

Look at Rotherham - 

16/17 - relegated from the Championship
17/18 - promoted to the Championship
18/19 - relegated from the Championship
19/20 - promoted to the Championship
20/21 - relegated from the Championship
21/22 - promoted to the Championship 

Rotherham are a team that in League One averages around £8m in turnover, with a wage bill of around £5m (in League One 2020) which also includes salaries for all 159 workers. 

There can be no excuses for a team of our size, turnover, stature for being anything other than competitive in League One. 

The only excuse would be not being able to get players in. But, I think we'll get a more than competitive team assembled before the first game of the season.

36 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think on here, a few weeks ago Ghost of Clough in his analysis of what it would take above the minimum bid to acquire the club, to ensure we avoided another 15 points penalty, was not far above £1m. I'm sure GoC will correct me if that's not right.

That was the difference between the 25% and 35% options.
Excluding the stadium, the minimum to buy the club and stay in the EFL is less than £8.4m. Min to avoid 15 points just below £30m iirc (c£22m difference).

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Tell that to Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday , Ipswich ,Portsmouth etc.

The point is, if you start with a turnover 3x the league average then in order to not be successful you need to make poor decisions. All of those clubs, as well as ours, have been guilty of doing exactly that. 

This is an opportunity to refine our processes, procedures. It's a fresh start to get it right. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The only excuse would be not being able to get players in. But, I think we'll get a more than competitive team assembled before the first game of the season.

But that excuse already exists.  Most teams are already a week into pre-season, even playing friendlies, with most of their squad in place.  We will not be very competitive to start with, though hopefully that will change after a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The point is, if you start with a turnover 3x the league average then in order to not be successful you need to make poor decisions. All of those clubs, as well as ours, have been guilty of doing exactly that. 

This is an opportunity to refine our processes, procedures. It's a fresh start to get it right. 

We're also in a slightly weird position compared to those other clubs. Normally, if you're a big club that drops down, you're saddled with a lot of players on bigger contracts, that maybe don't want to play at a lower level. Plus you risk carrying a losing mentality from last season into next.

We've basically got none of that.  We can actually go and use the financial advantage we have over most of the league, to go and get players that want to be here.

35 minutes ago, alram said:

league one is not an easy league. 

the wages and budget are irrelevant, if people go into this expecting to do well even with a make shift team then we will be mistaken.

its not always about having the best players, your mentality has to be right for this division every week. it will be every teams cup final against us, we will need to be at it more than other teams just to compete

and the wage restrictions means we are going to have to make use of what we have got. if we sign a load of players on big money and dont make it out we will linger for a long time.

A harsh wage restriction of 50% would still put us 4th in the wage table in 18/19. I'll be surprised if the restrictions aren't the same as normal clubs getting relegated from the Championship - 75%. Even a conservative guess at a normal L1 limit of 60% would out us higher than Charlton.

image.png.20a00d7ba3318af47e241f97bf4c22ca.png

11 minutes ago, Mrso said:

But that excuse already exists.  Most teams are already a week into pre-season, even playing friendlies, with most of their squad in place.  We will not be very competitive to start with, though hopefully that will change after a few weeks.

We have 4 weeks to get players in. I'll be very surprised if we don't have at least a starting 11 and a couple of subs of upper L1 quality by that point.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We have 4 weeks to get players in. I'll be very surprised if we don't have at least a starting 11 and a couple of subs of upper L1 quality by that point.

Agreed , if we can extend some of the contracts we have now then we will probably already have a full 11 that played atleast a chunk of last year 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And I still have my boots ready to go.

My 100 yards time would be best timed by a sundial rather than a stopwatch ???

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Agreed , if we can extend some of the contracts we have now then we will probably already have a full 11 that played atleast a chunk of last year 

Very close to it with just Davies Forsyth and Kazim staying.:

???
???   Davies   Cashin   Forsyth
Bird   Bielik   LThompson
Sibley   Kazim   Knight

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

23 is pretty good for a stadium worth 80m ?     (Assuming 202 is debt free ) 

that’s a parting gift of 57 from MM 

It would be had he actually transferred the money into the club's account and not done it as a purely 'accounting' transaction. If he did that then we wouldn't be in this mess. 

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

???
Sibley   Kazim   Knight

Not a bad team with a couple of additions. I presume Byrne is the other player with buchanan that is trying to get out of their contract?

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It would be had he actually transferred the money into the club's account and not done it as a purely 'accounting' transaction. If he did that then we wouldn't be in this mess. 

We'd be in the exact same mess.

What Mel did:
Wrote an IOU and transferred £80m in small payments to cover running costs (up to winter 2019/20).

What you want:
Immediately transfer £80m then use that money for running costs.

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

???
Sibley   Kazim   Knight

I know from your posts that you’ve seen a lot more of the U23s than I have. 

Do you think a strike force of CKR, Cybulski and Stretton would be up to a league 1 campaign?

Obviously we’d ideally strengthen that position, but GK and defence may need attention/resources too.