Reducing Wages

sage

Beilik, Lawrence, Joz and Marshall will deffo need to be moved on by the summer, but preferably in Jan. 

Beilik is gonna be the tough one as he may not be up to speed for the Jan window so hard to get much back for him, but he’s almost certainly in the top three earners.

Lawrence and Marshall are out of contract in the summer anyways, so Joz is the only one with any potential value other than a nominal nearing end of contract fee.

Then there’s the youngsters, bird, Knight and possibly Festy and Buchanan, they are on lower wages but potentially worth substantial fees. 

After that, the gains from trying to get rid of players unless they want out are pretty slim. 

3 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Assuming we stay afloat, there won't be as much opportunity for players to move for 'mega' wages. Those days are over for all non Prem players,  (I hope)!

I think you are right. Covid may have the biggest most needed after effect of reducing silly salaries for second and third tier football. It will have achieved what FFP was supposed to to do but didn’t !

Outside the parachute clubs anything over 10k / week will be abnormal. .. wow and that’s 500k per year.
How did we get there ? Crazy ! 

When you think about it, Cloughie lived on Ferrers way in a pleasant detached house, the sort of place a local MD of a typical reasonable small/medium company might live in. 

Also ran footballers give great pleasure to local fans but the concept that they can earn a working man’s lifetime wages in just 2 years just doesn’t feel right. They are good at what they do, but they aren’t the elite or exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. 

29 minutes ago, jono said:

I think you are right. Covid may have the biggest most needed after effect of reducing silly salaries for second and third tier football. It will have achieved what FFP was supposed to to do but didn’t !

Outside the parachute clubs anything over 10k / week will be abnormal. .. wow and that’s 500k per year.
How did we get there ? Crazy ! 

When you think about it, Cloughie lived on Ferrers way in a pleasant detached house, the sort of place a local MD of a typical reasonable small/medium company might live in. 

Also ran footballers give great pleasure to local fans but the concept that they can earn a working man’s lifetime wages in just 2 years just doesn’t feel right. They are good at what they do, but they aren’t the elite or exceptional by any stretch of the imagination. 

DCFC wage bill

20/01 - £19.4m (PL)
01/02 - £22.2m (PL)
02/03 - £20.0m
03/04 - £9.7m
04/05 - £9.2m
05/06 - £9.4m
06/07 - £17.3m
07/08 - £26.1m (PL)
08/09 - £22.1m
09/10 - £16.4m
10/11 - £13.2m
11/12 - £13.0m
12/13 - £12.1m
13/14 - £16.4m
14/15 - £21.8m
15/16 - £35.5m
16/17 - £39.0m (estimated for a 12 month period)
17/18 - £46.5m

Also note, whilst wages were at the lowest over these years in 04/05, turnover was also at its lowest - £12.3m. Turnover peaked during Mel's time as owner at over £30m.

Sheffield Wednesday 2021 - Player Wages

Sheffield Wednesday have a total of 59 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Bailey Peacock-Farrell earning £28,000 per week.

Sheffield Wednesday play in the Sky Bet League One, the second division of mens professional football in England.

The teams total wage bill is:

£10,131,160 per year

£194,830 per week

Wigan Athletic 2021 - Player Wages

Wigan Athletic have a total of 52 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Jason Kerr earning £16,000 per week.

Wigan Athletic play in the Sky Bet League One, the third division of mens professional football in England.

£6,276,920 per year

£120,710 per week

Sunderland 2021 - Player Wages

Sunderland have a total of 60 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Aiden McGeady earning £13,000 per week.

Sunderland play in the Sky Bet League One, the third division of mens professional football in England.

£5,998,200 per year

£115,350 per week

Fully expect Jozwiak, Marshall & Lawrence to be gone in Jan. 

Marshall - clearly out of favour

Jozwiak - not getting game time, potential world cup next year so wont want to be in a 3rd division

Lawrence - even though he is captain, he is a high earner who is unlikely to renew so if we can bring in any money for him as well as save on wages we should do

Jan will be too soon for Bielik to go but if he gets fit he will be gone in the summer for the same reasons as Jozwiak.

Out of contract in the summer - 

Davies, Stearman, CKR, Forsyth, Shinnie, Allsop, Byrne, Roos, Morrison, Hutchinson, Watson, Buchanan, Cashin & Williams

Can see Baldock extending in Jan and may drop down to League 1.

Of those out of contract I can only really see Allsop, Hutchinson, Watson, Cashin & Williams renewing.

Rooney may be able to convince Stearman, Shinnie, CKR, Byrne & Roos but im not sure. Davies may stay on with a player/coach role but if Luton or a Champ midlands team come calling he will be gone.

We have the option to extend Buchanan which im sure we will do if we're allowed - dont want another Marriott situation.

Morrison wont drop to League 1.

Then our financial position will play a big role on what happens to Bird, Knight & Sibley as well as their desire to stay/leave

In terms of the League One SCMP calculations, 'turnover' is calculated from two sources - one being relevant turnover from general trading and the other being (what the EFL term) 'Football Fortune Income' which covers (among other things) net transfer income and owner equity injections.

It is also worth noting that EFL regulations allow former Championship clubs to spend 75% of relevant turnover from trading and 100% of Football Fortune Income in its first season as a League One club.

So, as an example, if Derby's relevant turnover was circa £16m; the club raised £5m from net player transfers and the owner injected £5m of (non-Loan) equity, the club could have a wage bill next season of £22m!

Of course, the much-feared 'EFL Business Plan' might not allow it in Derby's case.

Baldock is as bad as his former team claimed he was, he's surplus to requirements and will not help Derby get promoted.

Players like Buchan, Knight, sublet and bird will most likely choose to move on.

I wish I could support our defenders, as they have done well this season but they are simply too old.

There's a significant rebuild to do, it will take money. It will take a fully functioning scout department.

I'm not convinced that Rooney is the right manager to face the challenges of league one and promote the team in one season.

I kind of understand that Bird, Knight Festy and Sibley may go. They are proven championship players of ability and … young. Someone will find money for them that we need, or can’t stump up. It would be hugely sad. I like the lot of them. They play with fire in their bellies. It’s going to rip a huge hole

The upside is that we will get to see Cashin and Watson who I believe are made of the same stuff. 

Wherever we end up there will be a game on and players to watch.

When you walk through the storm hold your head up high and don’t be afraid of the dark 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I kind of understand that Bird, Knight Festy and Sibley may go. They are proven championship players of ability and … young. Someone will find money for them that we need, or can’t stump up. It would be hugely sad. I like the lot of them. They play with fire in their bellies. It’s going to rip a huge hole

The upside is that we will get to see Cashin and Watson who I believe are made of the same stuff. 

Wherever we end up there will be a game on and players to watch.

When you walk through the storm hold your head up high and don’t be afraid of the dark 

I wouldnt put Festy in the same bracket as Sibley, Bird & Knight just yet - he is in the same bracket as Stretton & Watson at the minute, that may change by the end of the season though

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Baldock is as bad as his former team claimed he was, he's surplus to requirements and will not help Derby get promoted.

Players like Buchan, Knight, sublet and bird will most likely choose to move on.

I wish I could support our defenders, as they have done well this season but they are simply too old.

There's a significant rebuild to do, it will take money. It will take a fully functioning scout department.

I'm not convinced that Rooney is the right manager to face the challenges of league one and promote the team in one season.

I think he would do a decent job in League 1

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Sheffield Wednesday 2021 - Player Wages

Sheffield Wednesday have a total of 59 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Bailey Peacock-Farrell earning £28,000 per week.

Sheffield Wednesday play in the Sky Bet League One, the second division of mens professional football in England.

£10,131,160 per year

£194,830 per week

Wigan Athletic 2021 - Player Wages

Wigan Athletic have a total of 52 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Jason Kerr earning £16,000 per week.

Wigan Athletic play in the Sky Bet League One, the third division of mens professional football in England.

£6,276,920 per year

£120,710 per week

Sunderland 2021 - Player Wages

Sunderland have a total of 60 players in their home squad. The highest earning player in the squad is Aiden McGeady earning £13,000 per week.

Sunderland play in the Sky Bet League One, the third division of mens professional football in England.

£5,998,200 per year

£115,350 per week

Peacock-Darrell will be on £28k at Burnley. There is no way Sheff Wednesday are paying that much for a loan keeper. 

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I wouldnt put Festy in the same bracket as Sibley, Bird & Knight just yet - he is in the same bracket as Stretton & Watson at the minute, that may change by the end of the season though

Interesting, and yes he has had limited game time. His football brain is an unknown quantity, the vision, passing and decision making haven’t had the same degree of scrutiny in competitive games as the others.
For me though, so far, his raw talent with the ball at his feet and his pace (melded with strength)  is exceptional. If we keep him we will win games on the back of what he’s got already. …. Add in he is one of those that plays with a smile rather than grim determination.. He loves it out there on the pitch and it shows. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

Interesting, and yes he has had limited game time. His football brain is an unknown quantity, the vision, passing and decision making haven’t had the same degree of scrutiny in competitive games as the others.
For me though, so far, his raw talent with the ball at his feet and his pace (melded with strength)  is exceptional. If we keep him we will win games on the back of what he’s got already. …. Add in he is one of those that plays with a smile rather than grim determination.. He loves it out there on the pitch and it shows. 

I have seen players who I perhaps rated technically more highly than Festy at under 23 level come into our first team and look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. 

Not Festy, he wants it. And for that reason, I think he will be a big success. 

20 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think he would do a decent job in League 1

I'm hoping we can get Cole Stockton from Morcambe, together with Macauley Bonne of Ipswich. I think that will sort out the attack for league one.

For the midfield I'd like Sean McConville of Accrington Stanley, and Luke McCormick from Wimbledon.

In defence I'd like us to sign Josh Ruffels and Sam Long from Oxford.

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I'm hoping we can get Cole Stockton from Morcambe, together with Macauley Bonne of Ipswich. I think that will sort out the attack for league one.

For the midfield I'd like Sean McConville of Accrington Stanley, and Luke McCormick from Wimbledon.

In defence I'd like us to sign Josh Ruffels and Sam Long from Oxford.

Is this based on your extensive scouting of such players, paying due regard to how we set up in League One, with whatever manager we end up with? 

Tom Lawrence is stealing a living with £30k per week. Absolutely incredible amount of money for a bang average Championship player.

I also don’t think you neee cloggers to get out of League One. You may need to adapt to the difficulties of playing on a rough pitch in a compact stadium on a cold, windy night in Fleetwood.

But on the flip side, there should be no excuses at Pride Park. Derby should be winning most of their home games jus like Sunderland have.

1 hour ago, jono said:

I meant more in terms of his experience & game time rather than his quality but hopefully he impresses enough to play alot for us but not too much someone nicks him off us for pittance

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Tom Lawrence is stealing a living with £30k per week. Absolutely incredible amount of money for a bang average Championship player.

I also don’t think you neee cloggers to get out of League One. You may need to adapt to the difficulties of playing on a rough pitch in a compact stadium on a cold, windy night in Fleetwood.

But on the flip side, there should be no excuses at Pride Park. Derby should be winning most of their home games jus like Sunderland have.

I don’t think Tom is stealing a living, he’s just lucky he got a good contract when he did. It is unlikely he’ll ever get such a generous one again. I am not in this anti Tom brigade, in fact I despise the making of scapegoats and using disparaging  language with such casual ease. He works hard on the pitch. He isn’t bang average, he is a classy player - at this level - just too inconsistent to be anything more. 

You’re right about cloggers though, yes you’ll need some strong men at times but 7/10 times skill will out.  And yes it’s got to be an advantage to have a better home ground a big crowd and to at least attempt to strike some awe into the opposition.. “This is Anfield” .. but there will be days when it lifts an opponent 

What will be will be