Climate Change & COP26

Wolfie

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’m on board mate , just send me a cheque for 30 k and I will rush out and buy an electric van???, £60 + per WEEK to work out of a van I was pushed into buying ,,, erm yeah where do you think normal people magic up all this money up from?

That's why I said these things will get cheaper, either by economies of scale or by government help. Both will have to happen IMO.

tax to change behaviour, you mean ones that force you to change from petrol to diesel? Pushing up manufacturing and throw away , where’s this revenue going ?  Hamster wheel springs to mind 

I'm on my 5th diesel car for the same reason but my next one will probably be hybrid or electric (if I can afford it).

There are plenty of websites which tell you how tax revenue is spent, if you care to look.

but the reply was to you saying taxes were only going up because of covid , so you accept it was a totally wrong statement and there is an issue to be debated re emptying the pockets of those with least ability to pay whilst actually doing bugger all?

No, because I thought you were referring to the recent increase in NI and freezing of tax bands.

I'm not going to debate with you unless you can leave out the politics of it, which isn't allowed & I've been careful to avoid.

Climate change is beyond politics. It has to be.

16 hours ago, Miggins said:

We can't control what goes on in the wider world but we can control what goes on in our homes. We have started to take all our soft plastics to the co-op rather than put them in the land fill bin. We already recycle everything we can. We grow as much of own veg as we can, I am vegetarian and Steve only eats meat once a week, We have a compost bin and both of us drive small cars.

We can only control what we can.  

You see, I've cut down my commute to 4 miles instead of 40. I, like you, grow veg, we both drive small cars, we have decided to take one abroad trip every 2 years instead of a few a year and we recycle as much as we can. 

The problem is, like you say, that you can only do what you can do. There will be people on here that say they care about the future of the planet, but by posting snippets of their lives over the last 5 years on this forum, I know full well they have massive carbon footprints. 

It's easier to say you care than to act on it. Like everything in life, hypocrites and virtue signallers are everywhere. Not aimed at you by the way.

I will add, I'm a massive hypocrite too. I eat far too much meat. All for a personal endeavor that means little to anyone else. 

Edited by Norman

The big issues such as steel, concrete and the material mined for our goods (even electric cars) are going to be very difficult to solve but are hardly impossible to achieve. Yes action needs to be taken but humanity is not going to die out because of this nor is out situation hopeless. The growth of technology such as bio-engineered meat, carbon capture technology, smart architecture, and heating that is beginning to take shape will alter the effects in ways we haven't even considered yet. Going after stuff like air travel (is responsible for an absolutely tiny amount of our carbon emissions) is low hanging fruit that makes people look good but does not solve the problem. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

The big issues such as steel, concrete and the material mined for our goods (even electric cars) are going to be very difficult to solve but are hardly impossible to achieve. Yes action needs to be taken but humanity is not going to die out because of this nor is out situation hopeless. The growth of technology such as bio-engineered meat, carbon capture technology, smart architecture, and heating that is beginning to take shape will alter the effects in ways we haven't even considered yet. Going after stuff like air travel (is responsible for an absolutely tiny amount of our carbon emissions) is low hanging fruit that makes people look good but does not solve the problem. 

I would agree to an extent. I think trying to get short haul passengers onto trains is part of the solution, but deforestation and coal use are the 2 biggest issues by far. The problems with some of the technology solutions is affordability for the poorer countries in the world, not that we shouldn't be looking to make this part of the solutions.   

9 hours ago, Wolfie said:

That's why I said these things will get cheaper, either by economies of scale or by government help. Both will have to happen IMO.

I'm on my 5th diesel car for the same reason but my next one will probably be hybrid or electric (if I can afford it).

There are plenty of websites which tell you how tax revenue is spent, if you care to look.

No, because I thought you were referring to the recent increase in NI and freezing of tax bands.

I'm not going to debate with you unless you can leave out the politics of it, which isn't allowed & I've been careful to avoid.

Climate change is beyond politics. It has to be.

I wouldn’t waste your money on hybrid,, they’re next out??‍♂️
if you think climate change is beyond politics then you are a fool , if and when climate change and unsustainable growth on a fixed size planet are ever REALLY attempted to be addressed politics will have to be involved and changed

Edited by Archied

11 hours ago, Archied said:

Tend to disagree with you ,, I believe the day will come when real change just can’t be avoided but it’s far here now , if you actually listen to Johnson he talks in glowing terms of how investing in rushed hair brained schemes , targets in un ready and un costed policies will bring financial gains you just know it’s garbage , he is one of the most insincere people you could have the misfortune  to come across ,

I dunno - you sound like you're agreeing with me.  

51 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I dunno - you sound like you're agreeing with me.  

Where I disagree is that time is running out on how we are governed , we are far from that point 

and that they are being held to account, which they really aren’t 

how many years have we seen gut wrenching pics and videos of children starving to death or dieing from preventable diseases , it’s been a long long time and just like the climate change topic we are talking about it’s left to ordinary people doing they’re bit to try to help with donations and voluntary work while government s , corporations and the rich pretend to care or ignore whilst they get richer ,

there will be no change until it’s unavoidable ??‍♂️

On 12/11/2021 at 11:09, Norman said:

There will be people on here that say they care about the future of the planet, but by posting snippets of their lives over the last 5 years on this forum, I know full well they have massive carbon footprints. 

Doesn't seem to me that there's any way to assess any individual's carbon footprint as 'massive' based on their posts on a football forum. Would you care to substantiate you claim?

On 12/11/2021 at 11:09, Norman said:

It's easier to say you care than to act on it. Like everything in life, hypocrites and virtue signallers are everywhere. 

How can you possibly know whether folk expressing concerns over the environment are 'virtue signalling hypocrites' and are such folk really 'everywhere'? I mean really, what seems more likely? That people expressing environmental concerns are genuinely fearful for their children's' futures, or that they are posting because they desperately crave your validation? 

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Unfortunately we all want to do more and can do more, but we’re just an insignificant dot on the map in the grand scheme of things ?

D5440512-8EB2-4277-B417-7BBF8257A669.jpeg

That’s the really sad thing. We could be the greenest country on the planet, we could have a negative carbon footprint, but what would it really achieve? And that’s on a whole country scale, so what on earth does it matter what we as individuals do? I’ll keep plodding on doing what I can, for the sake of my own conscience, but it’s like trying to bail out the titanic with a thimble. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:55, uttoxram75 said:

Taxes going up are a political decision Wolfie. 
The country doesn’t owe anyone anything for the cost of COVID. 

No doudt Covid cost a lot but i think the government is either telling us lies or missing a trick.

2008 the financial crash, a bad bank was created for all those loans people defsulted what happened to it and the money owed?

Student loans, billions, i think i read somewhere well over 100 bn will never be repaid and this is never on the balance sheet of any budget.

Covid will end up the same, me thinks

The thing that annoys me is that Greta Thunberg standing there slating us in our country but she isn’t going and standing in Red Square or Tiananmen Square slating the Russians or Chinese who are quite clearly far bigger polluters than us. Call herself some environmental campaigner but then challenging the wrong countries. Come on duck get it right.

14 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

The thing that annoys me is that Greta Thunberg standing there slating us in our country but she isn’t going and standing in Red Square or Tiananmen Square slating the Russians or Chinese who are quite clearly far bigger polluters than us. Call herself some environmental campaigner but then challenging the wrong countries. Come on duck get it right.

She's spoken out about China's record. I can't blame her for not standing in the middle of Tianamen Square protesting - do you think it would be a bit risky? 

China Briefing, 13 May 2021: 

Thunberg faces backlash over China emission tweet

WHAT: Greta Thunberg was widely condemned by Chinese state media and social media users after tweeting about a CNN report of recent US analysis. According to the research, “China’s annual emissions exceeded those of all developed countries combined” in 2019. Thunberg wrote in her post: “We can’t solve the climate crisis unless China drastically changes course.”  

https://www.carbonbrief.org/china-briefing-13-may-2021-greta-thunberg-criticised-former-energy-official-arrested-ev-boom-makes-richest-man

11 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

No doudt Covid cost a lot but i think the government is either telling us lies or missing a trick.

2008 the financial crash, a bad bank was created for all those loans people defsulted what happened to it and the money owed?

Student loans, billions, i think i read somewhere well over 100 bn will never be repaid and this is never on the balance sheet of any budget.

Covid will end up the same, me thinks

Theres nothing to repay. The Bank of England creates the money by the touch of a keyboard, they don't borrow it from anyone.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

The thing that annoys me is that Greta Thunberg standing there slating us in our country

1) we're hosting the global COP26 meeting in the UK, so she's protesting every country in a single place (pretty efficient really) - don't take it personally

2) she organised climate school strikes in over 150 countries

3) what is it about Greta Thunberg that winds up a certain type of person?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

1) we're hosting the global COP26 meeting in the UK, so she's protesting every country in a single place (pretty efficient really) - don't take it personally

2) she organised climate school strikes in over 150 countries

3) what is it about Greta Thunberg that winds up a certain type of person?

It’s a joke pal. She can do what she likes, fair play to her. I don’t really want to see our planet destroyed but I do think other nations have a bigger part to play than us.

Cheers for the bite.