Climate Change & COP26

Wolfie

Just watched The Trick, which 'tells the story of Philip Jones, the world-renowned Professor and Director of Climate Research at the University of East Anglia, who found himself in the eye of an international media storm and the victim of cyberterrorism'. 

Not the type of film I often watch in all honesty, especially given the rather lukewarm reviews, but it's actually very good. Aside from being an 'important' and interesting account of a rather disturbing intervention, Jason Watkins and Victoria Hamilton are excellent in the roles of Professor Philip ones and his wife Ruth.

Well worth a watch for anyone with any interest in the subject matter.

On 12/11/2021 at 09:53, Stive Pesley said:

I get the gist of what you're saying, but I think time is running out for the old way of governing. There is a spotlight on everything they do and say now, and people are finally holding them to account. So for me it's "we're doing OUR bit and we've been doing OUR bit for years - now we expect the same of you, and if you don't then you will be removed from power via the ballot box"

Why else do you think BJ is so desperate to be seen as some kind of ecological warrior when the COP26 cameras are rolling? 

With the Labour Party dead on its feet, I would expect the Greens to start making gains soon

Greens will always struggle because of our voting system not suiting the fringe parties. It has its benefits of course but it will really limit the likelihood of Greens having success because obviously you need majorities and they only get that in Brighton. Personally I think Proportional representation is alot more democratic but it has its negatives as well. 

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

2BF2B927-51CA-4946-8956-9E97322CFEDE.jpeg

Having read your post, may I congratulate you on your plan to improve your health.

This as motivated me to reduce my alcohol intake and hopefully improve the life expectancy of my liver.

I am proposing to achieve this by drinking less malt whisky (40% by volume) and more wine (12.5% by volume). So for every bottle of whisky, I can instead have 3 bottles of wine, saving 2.5% alcohol.

While this will increase the volume of liquid drunk ,over the course of a year I will be making a saving of 97.5% alcohol consumed. Meaning I will be virtually alcohol free by the end of 2022. ? ???

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Look chaps, this is the reason we are not allowed to discuss grown up subjects on here. Why don't we all have a concerted effort to debate politely without personal little digs.

I’m happy for it to stop , I seem to have a small number who think it’s ok to throw that stuff at me and I give it back in spades??‍♂️

9 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

it will really limit the likelihood of Greens having success because obviously you need majorities and they only get that in Brighton.

I suppose my point is that their success in Brighton has proven that it can be done, so why not elsewhere as people start to look for a third way?

9 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Personally I think Proportional representation is alot more democratic but it has its negatives as well.

As more time passes some of the things we were always told were negatives about PR start to look more like positives!

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I suppose my point is that their success in Brighton has proven that it can be done, so why not elsewhere as people start to look for a third way?

As more time passes some of the things we were always told were negatives about PR start to look more like positives!

I’m hoping that enough votes for Green will have a similar effect as UKIP had. UKIP didn’t win much, but they took enough votes away from the other parties to make them take notice that there was a public appetite for brexit that would need to be appeased. 

hopefully the same thing could happen again, but with a more positive outcome, and the major parties will have to take notice of the green agenda.