Climate Change & COP26

Wolfie

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

No, we produce our own money. Its very strange to comprehend but worth a read if you're genuinely interested.

https://neweconomics.opendemocracy.net/magic-money-tree-dont-let-politicians-tell-otherwise/

Mmm. I only studied economics to A-level standard and that was a lifetime ago so, I don’t profess to fully understand it all but if the government could spend what it likes and borrow the money from itself then why bother raising money at all through taxes? Why not spend what they like and just get the Bank of England to create a bit more money? Why issue bonds or raise money through National Savings and Investments?

It needs an economist to answer the question but, presumably, if they just create more money it would seriously devalue the currency already in existence. 

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

1) we're hosting the global COP26 meeting in the UK, so she's protesting every country in a single place (pretty efficient really) - don't take it personally

2) she organised climate school strikes in over 150 countries

3) what is it about Greta Thunberg that winds up a certain type of person?

She is one of those precocious children you get these days that parents have decided the best way to bring them up is never to tell them off??‍♂️, on top of that she just makes noise with no answers , 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Mmm. I only studied economics to A-level standard and that was a lifetime ago so, I don’t profess to fully understand it all but if the government could spend what it likes and borrow the money from itself then why bother raising money at all through taxes? Why not spend what they like and just get the Bank of England to create a bit more money? Why issue bonds or raise money through National Savings and Investments?

It needs an economist to answer the question but, presumably, if they just create more money it would seriously devalue the currency already in existence. 

Yes, devalue the currency and also cause hyper-inflation, wiping out everyone’s savings. 

“Printing money” is fine for some things like maybe infrastructure projects but as soon as it starts to feed demand inflation, then it can quickly escalate into a cycle of ever rising costs. Inflation is currently going up but that’s Supply inflation, which is highly likely to burn itself out in a few months because the supply chain issues are likely to be temporary. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Your A level economics is far better than anything I have ever studied on the subject Tamworth!

This bit taken from my link sort of covers some of your points I guess. Its certainly a very interesting topic when you read into it a bit more.

You may have noticed that issues of “affordability” never arise when the proposed spending relates to activities like going to war or bailing out the banks. That’s because for a country like the UK which has its own central bank and borrows in its own currency, financing government spending is never a problem. The “magic money tree” attack is simply a convenient way to mask an ideological crusade to shrink the state.

This does not mean that governments can spend without limit, or that governments should spend money unwisely. Government spending has consequences for inflation, employment, capital formation and many other things. Sustained over-spending can have serious consequences.

But right now the UK economy is crying out for public investment. From addressing climate and demographic change, to tackling inequality and the housing crisis, the UK’s long-term prosperity depends on having a government that is willing to direct investment into the areas of the economy most in need.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes, devalue the currency and also cause hyper-inflation, wiping out everyone’s savings. 

“Printing money” is fine for some things like maybe infrastructure projects but as soon as it starts to feed demand inflation, then it can quickly escalate into a cycle of ever rising costs. Inflation is currently going up but that’s Supply inflation, which is highly likely to burn itself out in a few months because the supply chain issues are likely to be temporary. 

I get all that Wolfie, I've just replied to Tamworth with a quote from the link.

I think the point is that we are not in a desperate situation to pay it back, we haven't borrowed money from anyone, The BofE has created it.

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Your A level economics is far better than anything I have ever studied on the subject Tamworth!

This bit taken from my link sort of covers some of your points I guess. Its certainly a very interesting topic when you read into it a bit more.

You may have noticed that issues of “affordability” never arise when the proposed spending relates to activities like going to war or bailing out the banks. That’s because for a country like the UK which has its own central bank and borrows in its own currency, financing government spending is never a problem. The “magic money tree” attack is simply a convenient way to mask an ideological crusade to shrink the state.

This does not mean that governments can spend without limit, or that governments should spend money unwisely. Government spending has consequences for inflation, employment, capital formation and many other things. Sustained over-spending can have serious consequences.

But right now the UK economy is crying out for public investment. From addressing climate and demographic change, to tackling inequality and the housing crisis, the UK’s long-term prosperity depends on having a government that is willing to direct investment into the areas of the economy most in need.

I think I get it. If you want a road building, you need to pay the work men. So just print some money to pay them. It won’t really make much a difference to the overall pot, and the money stays in the uk, giving a workman a pay cheque. You don’t have to source his wages from pre-existing taxes. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

She is one of those precocious children you get these days that parents have decided the best way to bring them up is never to tell them off??‍♂️, on top of that she just makes noise with no answers , 

It does seem that way, but you have to take into account her Aspergers and OCD, depression and eating disorders. Her parents decided that she was happiest and most fulfilled when she was campaigning and that is why they support her.

41 minutes ago, Miggins said:

It does seem that way, but you have to take into account her Aspergers and OCD, depression and eating disorders. Her parents decided that she was happiest and most fulfilled when she was campaigning and that is why they support her.

Seems more like manipulation by parents and like minded people rather than having a childhood and concentrating on issues you mention ??‍♂️
I certainly wouldn’t be putting a child of mine in the spotlight they have , even without any issues , 

23 minutes ago, Archied said:

Seems more like manipulation by parents and like minded people rather than having a childhood and concentrating on issues you mention ??‍♂️
I certainly wouldn’t be putting a child of mine in the spotlight they have , even without any issues , 

I’d be immensely proud if I was greta’s parents. She might not get it right every time, if you really want to scrutinise every one of her actions, but she’s a kid, it’s not her job to get it right, and it’s not her job to to single handedly take on China. 

she’s not being manipulated, she’s perfectly capable of forming and following her own passions and beliefs, her parents have just been supportive and encouraging of this. 

some child stars are actors, singers, or sports stars. And sometimes their parents are accused of sacrificing their childhoods, and shoving them into the spotlight, but sometimes they’re just born to do what they do and absolutely love it. You couldn’t hold them back if you tried. Greta’s talent happens to be in activism and awareness raising. Why wouldn’t you encourage your kids’ talents?

It's genuinely mind-boggling to see people permanently more annoyed by Greta Thunberg than by the threat of human induced Climate Change itself. If you don't appreciate Greta then just ignore her.

Needless to say Climate change is a huge global problem...why do we allow ourselves to be sidetracked by trivialities ?

29 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It's genuinely mind-boggling to see people permanently more annoyed by Greta Thunberg than by the threat of human induced Climate Change itself. If you don't appreciate Greta then just ignore her.

It's just some old men sticking their fingers in their ears because they don't like the message and like it even less coming from a teenage girl. The more she winds them up, the more I like her. Folk can whinge all they like. She's fearless and won't worry about a few aged gainsayers and their pointless mithering.

44 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's just some old men sticking their fingers in their ears because they don't like the message and like it even less coming from a teenage girl. The more she winds them up, the more I like her. Folk can whinge all they like. She's fearless and won't worry about a few aged gainsayers and their pointless mithering.

Yourself included?

29 minutes ago, Archied said:

Any minute now Greta will be round shouting ,,time gentlemen please ,so get it down you quick

And you'll be sat in your armchair chuntering on about how only alcoholics go to pubs anyway

,,,,,,,,,,,?????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

And you'll be sat in your armchair chuntering on about how only alcoholics go to pubs anyway

,,,,,,,,,,,?????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And you won’t notice cause you’ve wet your trousers on the settee again ?

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

1 hour ago, Archied said:

And you won’t notice cause you’ve wet your trousers on the settee again ?

Look chaps, this is the reason we are not allowed to discuss grown up subjects on here. Why don't we all have a concerted effort to debate politely without personal little digs.