Rooney and his sidekick OUT NOW

Ramfan1958

£3M would have been a record fee paid for a League 2 player and quite a gamble, whatever hindsight now says about that. The club was hard up against the end of the transfer window, Exeter were going well in L2, so it's entirely plausible that they hoiked the price to put Derby off. Whatever you think of it, that leaves a bad taste in the mouth and I certainly wouldn't have gone back in for him in the summer and risked getting disrespected in that way again.

I presume the club were similarly taken advantage of when they signed Butterfield and Johnson on the last day of the 2015/16 transfer window after Hughes and Bryson were declared "out for the season". They clearly didn't possess the promise of Watkins, but how could the club possibly just carry on doing that? How many times have players been signed from L2 clubs and flopped in the Championship? 

Fans who obsess about this need to get over it. Players don't always show their promise on moving to a higher level anyway - some can't even hack it at a bigger club in the same division - just look at all the players who've left Brentford for big fees and flopped. Watkins is an exception but might just as easily have flopped at Derby like so many before him.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

£3M would have been a record fee paid for a League 2 player and quite a gamble, whatever hindsight now says about that. The club was hard up against the end of the transfer window, Exeter were going well in L2, so it's entirely plausible that they hoiked the price to put Derby off. Whatever you think of it, that leaves a bad taste in the mouth and I certainly wouldn't have gone back in for him in the summer and risked getting disrespected in that way again.

I presume the club were similarly taken advantage of when they signed Butterfield and Johnson on the last day of the 2015/16 transfer window after Hughes and Bryson were declared "out for the season". They clearly didn't possess the promise of Watkins, but how could the club possibly just carry on doing that? How many times have players been signed from L2 clubs and flopped in the Championship? 

Fans who obsess about this need to get over it. Players don't always show their promise on moving to a higher level anyway - some can't even hack it at a bigger club in the same division - just look at all the players who've left Brentford for big fees and flopped. Watkins is an exception but might just as easily have flopped at Derby like so many before him.

Some cracking tales of failed signings from Harry Rednapp in this pod cast, Around 8mins in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b0bz5f#xtor=CS8-1000-[Discovery_Cards]-[Multi_Site]-[GR02]-[PS_SOUNDS~N~~P_SackedintheMorningHarryRedknapp]

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

So you weren’t there? Thought not. 

I watched the game on tv, is that a crime? The game that you think we played well in ???? Stop trying to change the subject, you could always retract the comment and save yourself further embarrassment ?????

Edited by Jimbo Ram
Error

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Here you go @derbydaz22 hardly my problem if you challenge me and haven't read my posts.

That’s 4 days after you said you wouldn’t go with Stretton??  For what it’s worth I thought Baldock played ok today but we have a young lad banging goals in for the under 23s so let’s at least have him on the bench.

Just now, derbydaz22 said:

That’s 4 days after you said you wouldn’t go with Stretton??  For what it’s worth I thought Baldock played ok today but we have a young lad banging goals in for the under 23s so let’s at least have him on the bench.

He's banging the goals in because he was sent back to the U23s to do that! He wasn't looking like doing it for the 1st team. So goal-scorers need to be scoring - it makes them tick. Lol.

CKR and Baldock as the clock stopped!!! both have never been prolific goal scorers in their careers and they will not score enough goals to keep us up. 

Pele was playing at 17 if you are good enough you PLAY, Stretton needs a good run of games and good service and do believe Sibley alongside him would prove more of a goal threat than CKR and Baldock, they both must start the games, not come on for the last 10 mins

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's banging the goals in because he was sent back to the U23s to do that! He wasn't looking like doing it for the 1st team. So goal-scorers need to be scoring - it makes them tick. Lol.

If we have to keep dipping him back in the under 23s fine but we need goals and he looks like a decent bet at the moment he simply can’t be any worse than our current options.

2 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

If we have to keep dipping him back in the under 23s fine but we need goals and he looks like a decent bet at the moment he simply can’t be any worse than our current options.

Yes he could. He's young and inexperienced. Not all the youngsters thrown in the deep end swim. 

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes he could. He's young and inexperienced. Not all the youngsters thrown in the deep end swim. 

I’m not saying throw him in regardless I’m saying he’s a option and who knows he could be anything ? It’s worth a punt in my opinion even if it’s 20 mins here and there.

1 hour ago, SirBrian said:

CKR and Baldock as the clock stopped!!! both have never been prolific goal scorers in their careers and they will not score enough goals to keep us up. 

Pele was playing at 17 if you are good enough you PLAY, Stretton needs a good run of games and good service and do believe Sibley alongside him would prove more of a goal threat than CKR and Baldock, they both must start the games, not come on for the last 10 mins

exactly brian, not rocket science is it. If you have good players you get good results, for me rooney is getting oas much as he can out of this group of players