Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

On 04/12/2021 at 11:05, Anag Ram said:

I think the thing with Omicron is it’s more transmissible which means more cases and more impact on the economy. Hence the rush to get people vaccinated as much as possible.

We would suffer if games got cancelled or we went back to no crowds.

That is our only hope of avoiding relegation, lockdown, season canceled, put everyone on furlough. Job done. Come on Bojo you can do it.

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That is our only hope of avoiding relegation, lockdown, season canceled, put everyone on furlough. Job done. Come on Bojo you can do it.

Nah. If the season was cancelled then it would be classed as void and our points deductions would probably be carried forward to the following season.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

To be fair they did mention this coming week as the preferred bidder stage. 

Now if this week passes without any progress, then questions will need to be asked and it may well ring alarm bells

Fair enough, it just seems like manyana with them like chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We're in a desperate situation by even having to rely on the administrators to get us out of the kaka, am sure they'll be paid their fees regardless of whether they find a buyer for the club or not.

On 04/12/2021 at 12:46, atherstoneram said:

But players and backroom staff will find other teams so HMRC still get taxes going forward. Fans who won't buy season tickets anymore will spend their money on something else paying VAT so they still don't lose out

I keep seeing this type of comment, but it is fundamentally flawed.

Players will end up at other clubs, likely to be smaller wages, but also at the expense of another player, to re-address The Rams going out of business would cascade down the league and effectively it would be the likes of Halifax that replace us in the 92, far far smaller pulling power and revenue than a league 1 DCFC, therefore far less NI and taxes.

Also, would people spend their money on other things and therfore pay vat? How many times do people say they struggle in the current climate, but as lifelong fans they manage to continue to fund tickets, I know I'm not going to suddenly go, well that's £2000 pounds I can fritter away a year so I carry on paying vat without the justification of DCFC, if anything I'd likely have a hol abroad and take a chunk of the money into someone else's economy!

8 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

I keep seeing this type of comment, but it is fundamentally flawed.

Players will end up at other clubs, likely to be smaller wages, but also at the expense of another player, to re-address The Rams going out of business would cascade down the league and effectively it would be the likes of Halifax that replace us in the 92, far far smaller pulling power and revenue than a league 1 DCFC, therefore far less NI and taxes.

Also, would people spend their money on other things and therfore pay vat? How many times do people say they struggle in the current climate, but as lifelong fans they manage to continue to fund tickets, I know I'm not going to suddenly go, well that's £2000 pounds I can fritter away a year so I carry on paying vat without the justification of DCFC, if anything I'd likely have a hol abroad and take a chunk of the money into someone else's economy!

But you would still be paying VAT on your holiday and other associated items + airport taxes etc. As for other teams having less pulling power that won't concern HMRC. In context if it happens to be the demise of DCFC HMRC won't bat an eyelid.

22 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

But you would still be paying VAT on your holiday and other associated items + airport taxes etc. As for other teams having less pulling power that won't concern HMRC. In context if it happens to be the demise of DCFC HMRC won't bat an eyelid.

It is partially true, but the money spent in this country amounted to less than 25% of the total spend, and arguably that went to the Irish economy as it was Ryanair...... and the hotel chain Melia isn't UK based either.... in fact the more I think about it, only the airport taxes were extra spend the last time I went away.

I'm just pointing out it is a flawed statement that the UK economy wouldn't lose out if DCFC went bust.

I'm not saying HMRC would take it into account, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the National income. But there would be less income resulting from DCFC going under.

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

What will bother HMRC is if they lose the tax they could have got if they accept a deal, and any future tax on revenues and spending. Just maybe remind them how much tax did they actually collect during Mel Morris tenure. Spending of what £250 million. PAYE of what £100 million. Employer and employee NI £30 milion. Stamp duty on PPS sale £4 milion. VAT etc. So what's that maybe £150 million thanks to Mel's high spending. Ok there's a £20 million shortfall now but on balance if I was the HMRC tax collector I would be very thankful  Mel spent all that money and didnt keep it all in his pocket.   

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

I think this is the first footballing admin since the new rules came in and I'd be surprised if the HMRC didn't use this opportunity to set a precedent as a warning to other clubs not paying their taxes. You are correct that they won't bat an eyelid. 

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

What will bother HMRC is if they lose the tax they could have got if they accept a deal, and any future tax on revenues and spending. Just maybe remind them how much tax did they actually collect during Mel Morris tenure. Spending of what £250 million. PAYE of what £100 million. Employer and employee NI £30 milion. Stamp duty on PPS sale £4 milion. VAT etc. So what's that maybe £150 million thanks to Mel's high spending. Ok there's a £20 million shortfall now but on balance if I was the HMRC tax collector I would be very thankful  Mel spent all that money and didnt keep it all in his pocket.   

Of course what you’ve said there is true but it isn’t the main motivation of HMRC. They can’t treat us differently to any other business, otherwise everyone would be knocking on the taxmans door asking for a reevaluation!

12 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

Of course what you’ve said there is true but it isn’t the main motivation of HMRC. They can’t treat us differently to any other business, otherwise everyone would be knocking on the taxmans door asking for a reevaluation!

footbal clubs have always been treated unlike other businesses. They don't make profits like other businesses. Football clubs pay silly wages, which is actually very good for HMRC. 

Let's say HMRC take 30%.

That's a haircut of around £18m.

What's to stop every other Championship club immediately entering Administration? 

The league standings would be unaffected, after all we'd all have a 12 point deduction, yet the revenue would be lose out on multiple millions.

Extreme example I admit, but that must play on HMRC thinking.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

Let's say HMRC take 30%.

That's a haircut of around £18m.

What's to stop every other Championship club immediately entering Administration? 

The league standings would be unaffected, after all we'd all have a 12 point deduction, yet the revenue would be lose out on multiple millions.

Extreme example I admit, but that must play on HMRC thinking.

Most clubs have been given a loan specifically to cover HMRC debts.  So it wouldn't work.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Most clubs have been given a loan specifically to cover HMRC debts.  So it wouldn't work.

16 clubs, I think, have taken those loans.

That still leaves 8 who haven't, and may be eyeing up a reduction.

That's why HMRC are going to hardball us.