Pass the ball Morrison!!!

rammieib

I don’t disagree that he has the talent that everyone says he does but ultimately I think if Lawrence had stalled those counter attacks and tried lazily to win that penalty rather than shoot like Morrison did last night he would be getting absolutely flamed on here. He helps us maintain control usually but last night he had a poor game. 

28 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but I reckon he had a decent game last night. 

He still doesn't seem to have 90 minutes in him though. 

Weird how we see things differently. I normally rate him but thought last night was not one of his best. He seemed to slow the game down too much on occasion, chose the wrong pass and delayed the pass too often.

11 hours ago, blue texel ram said:

Ravel Morrison has so much to offer but he was far to deep tonight 

I noticed that a couple of times too, Luton’s big lads forced him to cover stuff he wouldn’t normally be called on for. 

Yes he made a couple of bad calls but he was all over the pitch, not a brilliant game but he played well. He’s intelligent and he works.

15 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He was part of an excellent team performance. Has great balance and can definitely pick a pass. He obviously been instructed to drop deep and pick the ball up off the centre backs. Would like to see him burst forward more though and have a few shots.

It was decent performance and reflective of the battling displays that seem to be the norm but, I wouldn’t classify it as excellent.

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

We lost all control of the game when he came off, like we do most of the time when he does. Probably needs to get fitter as he seems to tire after 60 mins but that's to be expected from someone who hasn't played a lot of games in recent years. 

Are we seriously that a lack of fitness is due to not having played many games last season or the season before…..or the season before?

If any one player shows a lack of fitness it will be solely down to how that player looks after himself and how hard he pushes himself on a daily basis. These clubs - and Derby in particular - have some of the finest facilities and the most highly trained staff all geared towards high end levels. If a player who is playing regularly, shows less capability in that department than any other one it’s probably their own fault.

FWIW I thought he played well last night and prefer it when he travels with the ball. He didn’t look tired he looked completely hacked off at coming off when he probably felt he was playing well.

25 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Are we seriously that a lack of fitness is due to not having played many games last season or the season before…..or the season before?

If any one player shows a lack of fitness it will be solely down to how that player looks after himself and how hard he pushes himself on a daily basis. These clubs - and Derby in particular - have some of the finest facilities and the most highly trained staff all geared towards high end levels. If a player who is playing regularly, shows less capability in that department than any other one it’s probably their own fault.

FWIW I thought he played well last night and prefer it when he travels with the ball. He didn’t look tired he looked completely hacked off at coming off when he probably felt he was playing well.

Morrison is often taken off because Lawrence is the seen as sacrosanct. 

Both played well last night though. 

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Morrison is often taken off because Lawrence is the seen as sacrosanct. 

Both played well last night though. 

Would agree with that nine times out of ten and it makes me mad.

But last night I thought Lawrence was the better player. 

I do wonder if part of Morrison 's drop off in second halves is due to his underlying condition? Concentration is a key factor in a 90 minute performance, and it's almost as if that starts to drift as the game goes on.

I think he's doing remarkably well so far to say how little football he has played over his career.

I think Morrison is clearly an above average Championship midfielder who warrants a place in our best XI. And I think he could be more effective with a) Bielik behind him and b) a decent striker ahead of him who he could make the runs needed for that killer pass.

However, what he isn't - based on what I've seen - is some kind of wasted genius with the ability to win a game at this level through a touch of individual brilliance. 

We have to play the ball in between the central defenders and the full backs to be attacking in open play which needs the midfielder to actually pass it and hope the winger/ full back get to it - Morrison was poor at that last night but he can do it and even if it’s 50/50 you should still release it and our players will should still be moving for it and Bird can be just as guilty at not passing it through, Watson  appears to be the one who plays the more through balls but he hasn’t had as many minutes in big boy football.

Edited by Sparkle

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

Getting really fed up of Morrison now and his inability to simply just pass the ball. It’s not even make the right pass, it’s simply make a pass!

Great skilful player but no end product. It took him Two minutes not to put Buchanan in followed by Buchanan just walking back up the pitch shaking his head.

Players eventually just won’t even bother making the runs if you don’t attempt the pass in.

Slightly controversial here but he’s the player I’d drop to bring CKR back into the team.

that in itself is the problem though. We have no strikers/forward players making runs in behind. 

20 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

that in itself is the problem though. We have no strikers/forward players making runs in behind. 

It's a problem with our system, we're overloaded with midfielders. Our wingers aren't really wingers, they're wide midfielders and are quite defensive. Our only attacking player who makes runs is the striker