Pass the ball Morrison!!!

rammieib

I can see both sides here. Sometimes his decision making seems reallly poor. He’ll turnaround when he has options ahead and it’ll end back at the goalie from a Promising attacking position. Other times he’ll do a trick or move past someone like they’re not there and setup an attack or a shot.

I can’t help but feel we’re a much better side with him in it and I just wonder if max bird has benefited enormously from having ravel with him in the midfield. For me max has improved massively this year and is starting to fulfill his promise.

im not sure I believe all this about him not being fit to play the full 90 minutes. I just think Wayne seems insistent on subbing him off after 70 minutes. I recall Baiano had the same thing, (anyone remember him, one of the best players I’ve ever seen in a Derby shirt) he always subbed off after 70 minutes. I didn’t  get it then and I don’t get my it with ravel now to be honest.

…. And why oh why doesn’t he wear the number 4 shirt? RAV4. It’s a no brainier.

The one thing I think he gives us is more composure in the midfield area, he doesn’t always make the right decision, but we are definitely better when he is on the pitch.

It always concerns me when he comes off, it would be interesting how many goals/points we have lost when he has been substituted, we conceded 2 against Peterborough and lost the game, conceded against Luton which cost us another 2 points, there the main ones I can think of off the top of my head, not saying we may have not conceded if he had still be on the pitch, but imho less likely to have done ( 5 points we could have done with) 

19 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

The one thing I think he gives us is more composure in the midfield area, he doesn’t always make the right decision, but we are definitely better when he is on the pitch.

It always concerns me when he comes off, it would be interesting how many goals/points we have lost when he has been substituted, we conceded 2 against Peterborough and lost the game, conceded against Luton which cost us another 2 points, there the main ones I can think of off the top of my head, not saying we may have not conceded if he had still be on the pitch, but imho less likely to have done ( 5 points we could have done with) 

Agree he uses the ball sensibly if not always in the most direct fashion. 

Sometimes the fan baying for the pass can't see the blocking opponent Ravel can see. 

He still isn't quite fit enough and he still sulks a bit but if he wasn't doing those two things he wouldn't be with us. He still retains a touch of class. 

I don't know why, but Morrison seems reluctant to pass the ball wide right. Several times yesterday either Festy or Byrne were in space and didn't receive the ball.

The stats show that Byrne is a key player regarding assists and should be used more. CKR showed the way, by holding the ball and then playing in Byrne, to cross to Shinnie for the goal. A special mention to Byrne, who absolutely bust a gut to sprint from the half way line, to get involved.

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I don't know why, but Morrison seems reluctant to pass the ball wide right. Several times yesterday either Festy or Byrne were in space and didn't receive the ball.

The stats show that Byrne is a key player regarding assists and should be used more. CKR showed the way, by holding the ball and then playing in Byrne, to cross to Shinnie for the goal. A special mention to Byrne, who absolutely bust a gut to sprint from the half way line, to get involved.

I agree, They went down the left a lot and wasted it by running into traffic.

Was very noticeable at times, maybe it was a plan to involve Kamil, well, that went well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 09:21, ram59 said:

I have noticed that too. Time after time he has a player wide right and a relatively simple ball but never does it. Always left or forward to a player tightly marked by the time he plays it. Let’s see on Saturday

On 19/10/2021 at 22:58, rammieib said:

Getting really fed up of Morrison now and his inability to simply just pass the ball. It’s not even make the right pass, it’s simply make a pass!

Great skilful player but no end product. It took him Two minutes not to put Buchanan in followed by Buchanan just walking back up the pitch shaking his head.

Players eventually just won’t even bother making the runs if you don’t attempt the pass in.

Slightly controversial here but he’s the player I’d drop to bring CKR back into the team.

Technically, only Davies (55) and Jagielika (51.6) pass the ball more often per 90 than Ravel (50.4)
Only Stearman (88.2%) has a better pass completion rate than him (85.1%)

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Technically, only Davies (55) and Jagielika (51.6) pass the ball more often per 90 than Ravel (50.4)

Yep and on Saturday it was his header to Lawrence which helped set up the goal and his beautiful weighted cross which should have gifted Buchanan the winner. 

Sure he fouls up from time to time but he still sees the game well. 

On 19/10/2021 at 22:58, rammieib said:

Getting really fed up of Morrison now and his inability to simply just pass the ball. It’s not even make the right pass, it’s simply make a pass!

Great skilful player but no end product. It took him Two minutes not to put Buchanan in followed by Buchanan just walking back up the pitch shaking his head.

Players eventually just won’t even bother making the runs if you don’t attempt the pass in.

Slightly controversial here but he’s the player I’d drop to bring CKR back into the team.

Agree ?

43 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

don't think it's fair to compare him to the CB's as their passes are often simple ones to each other/the GK or just to the midfield. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If only we could have the following two stat lines:

"% Completion rate of making the wrong passing option"

or

"% Shooting when he should have passed it"

Sometimes you have to look beyond stats.