What made today a special day?

Miggins

Spent the day with an old friend who i haven't seen in 30 years.  (He moved abroad)  He is not in a great way, health wise or mentally and all he has is his aging mother and his two old friends from decades ago.  We went to the pool and it was lovely, snowing the whole time and then for something to eat after and chatting, lots of chatting.  He told me it was his best day in a long time, that makes me feel good, so it's been a good day.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't recall calling you pig headed.

I do recall describing how pig headed people behave, whether you think you tick the boxes or not is for you to decide!

Anyway, having travelled from Derbyshire, to Norfolk and then on to Devon, I can confirm that Derbyshire is easily the coldest.

On to Cornwall tomorrow and will see how the temperature measures up down there.

Work or pleasure? I'm guessing that it's work seeing as tomorrow is Tuesday! Hope you get some time to walk on a beach! We've not been able to get away this year but I would love to see Cornwall next!

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Spent the day with an old friend who i haven't seen in 30 years.  (He moved abroad)  He is not in a great way, health wise or mentally and all he has is his aging mother and his two old friends from decades ago.  We went to the pool and it was lovely, snowing the whole time and then for something to eat after and chatting, lots of chatting.  He told me it was his best day in a long time, that makes me feel good, so it's been a good day.

I have a friend in a similar position, @ramit. We meet up about 4 times a year. We have something nice to eat and drink, chat, laugh, remember old times when we taught together. He never married, looked after his mum all his life as his father died just days before he was born. He has now got type 1 diabetes and I know he misses his mum so much and is quite lonely even though he has quite a lot of friends.

I look forwards to meeting up with him as we taught so many years together and were such good friends. We still meet up and carry on our friendship as if we only met up yesterday.

So pleased that you both had a good day and the snow must have made it all the more special and memorable.

So glad that you found the original, @Anag Ram.

Mine alas will never be found.

I lost mine at mum's whilst cleaning dog sick off the landing carpet. The carpet cleaner and warm water in the bucket caused the ring to slip off my finger and then I tipped the waste water into the toilet and flushed it - then realised my ring was missing. I'm glad that your tale ended happily. ?

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Work or pleasure? I'm guessing that it's work seeing as tomorrow is Tuesday! Hope you get some time to walk on a beach! We've not been able to get away this year but I would love to see Cornwall next!

Yes work unfortunately, Sunday/Monday Hunstanton, Monday/Tuesday Paignton/Torquay, Tuesday/Wednesday Paignton/Looe.

Some lovely places but unfortunately wrong time of the year to be there!

Lovely walk with my wife and dog in the snow from Darley Park along the river through Allestree Park lunch at the (cough) Joiners on to Mackworth and back to Darley Abbey via Markeaton Park. Even tonight’s match has not dampened the enjoyment. We are so fortunate to be able to walk in such lovely countryside around our City and with the snow on the ground today was particularly special.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 17:02, 86 Hair Islands said:

Early birthday dinner tonight. Drunken weekend ahead with the bezzers and no work planned before Tuesday. Nice apples!

Hope you take a couple of photographs as a record of a special weekend spent with good friends. Early Happy Birthday. ?? (sorry for the rather unappetizing looking cake!!?)

• 2 months later...

1. I know this won't be appreciated by everyone, but we have about 10 antique clocks which, over the years, have developed problems which have seen them lapse into silence one by one. Enter today David who is a horologist who has been mending clocks for 60 years. He has taken two away to work on and the rest are up and chiming away for the first time in about 4 years! He is a 'clock whisperer'! It is so good to hear them again! It has been a good day!