What made today a special day?

Miggins

Went for a long walk with the dogs on Ilkley Moor in sunshine this evening - beautiful views and one of the last warm and dry days of the year, probably. 

Spent the couple of hours constructing a list of all that is good about our club in my head, from our academy and the under 18s beating Liverpool - you know, that team that produced that 16 year old star - to our manager and his team, the team spirit he's developed, our ground and training ground, our fan base and fans reaction to our latest problems, that it's only £50 million (chicken feed in high finance) and that we're not Boro or Bristol City or Barcelona (and we think we've got problems) and so on and on and on.

Think positive thoughts people - don't let the negative ones in.  Stick em in a box and shut the lid.

And @Miggins, if the little bristly backside is still showing paint a few of the needles with nail varnish.  You'll always be able to recognise it when others come along and that way you'll have some idea of how many you have in the garden.

He has gone now, @ilkleyram, but we are hoping he will come back soon to his penthouse!

I'm glad you have had such a happy day with your pooches and that you have managed to blow away the cobwebs of negativity and get  sense of perspective in all of this. It sounds as though it has been a heavenly autumn day up on the moors. I'm sure we'd all love to come and walk with you if we could.?

Had a lovely day today. Mr. Miggins decided to go air rifle shooting at Yeavesley in Derbyshire and I went with him. I m not in the slightest interested in target shooting but he had a lovely morning and I sat outside the cafe with a coffee and got immersed in a new book. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and I felt quite detached from any worries. On the way back we called in at a well known watering hole and had a quick snifter before returning home to Belper to let Freddie Goodcat out into the garden. Spent the afternoon in the garden in the last of the autumn sunshine on the lounger reading and sipping some good red wine. Mind you, I had to fight Freddie Goodcat for the lounger!! Driving back through the Derbyshire Dales and appreciating yet again that this is the original garden of Eden!!

Edited by Miggins

I went to House Of Beer (formerly Maison de Biere) at Ashbourne.

OK, I go there every Sunday, but that just means that every Sunday is special.

Started with a Lowenbrau Triumphator, then had a pint of a chocolate orange porter on draught (sublime - can't remember the brewery) and finished with a Chimay 150 (green). All amazing beers.

57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I went to House Of Beer (formerly Maison de Biere) at Ashbourne.

OK, I go there every Sunday, but that just means that every Sunday is special.

Started with a Lowenbrau Triumphator, then had a pint of a chocolate orange porter on draught (sublime - can't remember the brewery) and finished with a Chimay 150 (green). All amazing beers.

Not heard of House of Beer, @Eddie! We may well try it out next weekend!  We are in Belper, so it's not too far away! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Miggins said:

Not heard of House of Beer, @Eddie! We may well try it out next weekend!  We are in Belper, so it's not too far away! Thanks!

It is a splendid place. Basically it's a bottle shop and taproom, with a nice comfy lounge where you can enjoy a beer or two inside. Their shop opening times are as follows...

• Wednesday:   12:00 - 17:00
  • Thursday:       12:00 - 21:00
  • Friday:            12:00 - 21:00
  • Saturday:       12:00 - 21:00
  • Sunday:          13:00 - 19:00

The lounge (for drinking inside) doesn't open until 4:00 pm on a Saturday, but it's open from 1:00 pm on a Sunday. We go there on the bus and get there around 3:15 pm.

Next Sunday afternoon they have a band on (probably folk music - they tend to have musicians once a month or so).

They usually have around 10-12 beers or ciders on tap, and they have a few hundred different bottles and cans, including 20 or so German beers, 40 or 50 Belgian beers etc. A lot of local stuff too - Eyam Brewery  produce some brilliant beers, and their shelves are always well-stocked.

@sage is from Belper. We met up in Ashbourne the other week at lunchtime, but it was on a Saturday so ended up in the Green Man instead before heading back to Belper (a micropub near the marketplace - can't remember the name).

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is a splendid place. Basically it's a bottle shop and taproom, with a nice comfy lounge where you can enjoy a beer or two inside. Their shop opening times are as follows...

• Wednesday:   12:00 - 17:00
  • Thursday:       12:00 - 21:00
  • Friday:            12:00 - 21:00
  • Saturday:       12:00 - 21:00
  • Sunday:          13:00 - 19:00

The lounge (for drinking inside) doesn't open until 4:00 pm on a Saturday, but it's open from 1:00 pm on a Sunday. We go there on the bus and get there around 3:15 pm.

Next Sunday afternoon they have a band on (probably folk music - they tend to have musicians once a month or so).

They usually have around 10-12 beers or ciders on tap, and they have a few hundred different bottles and cans, including 20 or so German beers, 40 or 50 Belgian beers etc. A lot of local stuff too - Eyam Brewery  produce some brilliant beers, and their shelves are always well-stocked.

@sage is from Belper. We met up in Ashbourne the other week at lunchtime, but it was on a Saturday so ended up in the Green Man instead before heading back to Belper (a micropub near the marketplace - can't remember the name).

Angels was the micro pub in question 

4 hours ago, Miggins said:

Had a lovely day today. Mr. Miggins decided to go air rifle shooting at Yeavesley in Derbyshire and I went with him. I m not in the slightest interested in target shooting but he had a lovely morning and I sat outside the cafe with a coffee and got immersed in a new book. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and I felt quite detached from any worries. On the way back we called in at a well known watering hole and had a quick snifter before returning home to Belper to let Freddie Goodcat out into the garden. Spent the afternoon in the garden in the last of the autumn sunshine on the lounger reading and sipping some good red wine. Mind you, I had to fight Freddie Goodcat for the lounger!! Driving back through the Derbyshire Dales and appreciating yet again that this is the original garden of Eden!!

Keep these posts up. They're great.

On 29/08/2021 at 19:30, Miggins said:

We have had a hedgehog house in our garden for the last two years and today there was a hedgehog curled up inside. So excited! I could see a little bristly bottom just inside the door! Will feed it appropriate food and give water and encourage it to have lots of babies in our garden. So excited by this discovery!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161526791229152&id=818304151

On 01/10/2021 at 15:42, Eddie said:

Walking into Tesco and discovering that they are now selling La Chouffe - at £2 a bottle.

Edit: and just receiving a message that my latest order of big bottles (including La Chouffe) from Beers Of Europe has shipped, arriving Monday.

I'm chouffing chouffed.

Are you sharing? ?

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

Are you sharing? ?

The Memsahib's already drunk one of the small bottles.

The big bottles are always shared - we tend to have beer o'clock each day around 3:00 pm (in the garden if it's nice) and we have a platter of cheeses and two beers - one Belgian, one German, which we split.

Today's beers were Straffe Hendrik Tripel and Tucher Bajuvator Doppelbock - both utterly world-class examples of their styles.

The cheeses weren't bad either - Cotswold Double Gloucester with chives, Camembert, Long Clawson Barnstone Blue, White Stilton with port and Rhubarb Wensleydale.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Memsahib's already drunk one of the small bottles.

The big bottles are always shared - we tend to have beer o'clock each day around 3:00 pm (in the garden if it's nice) and we have a platter of cheeses and two beers - one Belgian, one German, which we split.

Today's beers were Straffe Hendrik Tripel and Tucher Bajuvator Doppelbock - both utterly world-class examples of their styles.

The cheeses weren't bad either - Cotswold Double Gloucester with chives, Camembert, Long Clawson Barnstone Blue, White Stilton with port and Rhubarb Wensleydale.

Nice to see you like your British Cheese apart from that Camemshit.

1. What a wonderful idea! I'd say that 3pm is that time in your day when everything in the world begins to make sense! The beers sound exotically delicious and the cheeses also. Have you tried the cheeses with different kinds of honey? Just put a small drizzle of honey in a bowl and dip the cheese. We discovered this after buying some cheese from a small cheese shop at Cromford Mill and honey was stocked in tiny jars and recommended  by the shop keeper. Delish! ?
Edited by Miggins
tried to get rid of 1.!!

2 hours ago, Miggins said:
  1. What a wonderful idea! I'd say that 3pm is that time in your day when everything in the world begins to make sense! The beers sound exotically delicious and the cheeses also. Have you tried the cheeses with different kinds of honey? Just put a small drizzle of honey in a bowl and dip the cheese. We discovered this after buying some cheese from a small cheese shop at Cromford Mill and honey was stocked in tiny jars and recommended  by the shop keeper. Delish! ?

That's something to try. I usually supplement my cheese with a few pickled Jalapeno chillies and sun-dried tomatoes.

2 hours ago, Miggins said:

I bought some cheese from there last week all nice but if you go back avoid the one with cranberries and oranges in it.  Bleedin awful.