What made today a special day?

Miggins

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Only messing with you buddy! Not exactly a lot to be cheery about from a Derby perspective, least until we're out of admin. I'm trying to steel myself to get back to the gym myself for the very same reasons. I know the fist two weeks will be hateful but the benefits will come soon after. Anyway, well done mate! First step typically the toughest ?

Two weeks of fisting will be tough. I know I wouldn’t be able to sit comfortably

.Too Much Head GIF by Kinda Funny

1 hour ago, Malagaram said:

Do you mean The Memsahib

Got it in one. Basically, as I have taken on more and more of the catering side of the household, she has, on occasions, managed to perfect a disappearing act and just let me get on with it.

Perhaps she now trusts me. If she does make an appearance (usually right at the end), it's with a cheery "Need a hand?", knowing full well the answer will be in the negative.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Been off work for over 2 months with things being a real struggle one way or the other.

Ran nearly 3.5 miles for the first time in about 5 months wasn't easy and had to walk for a couple of times but did it. 

Sorry to read that life has been a struggle for a while, Tyler. Running that distance would finish me off, but I know several people who swear that running and exercise in general, lifts their mood and keeps them sane. Well done

The last time I remember running long and hard was about 40 years ago. I was in competition with a very large and angry bull. It was touch and go for a while, but pleased to say that I won the race (and the highjump).?

On 31/10/2021 at 16:34, StockholmRam said:

Flights and hotels booked. Finally after 2 years able to come back to uk to visit family and friends at Christmas.

Been a rough 2 years for many and my lot have been no different. Going to be a lovely but emotional trip. Tickets booked for myself and the lad for boxing day v West Brom. 

Welcome home @StockholmRam! Really hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and that the Boxing Day result doesn't disappoint!

@Eddie recommended a place in Ashbourne that did brilliant beer called 'The House of Beer'. I took Mr Miggins there this afternoon and he indulged in 4 half pints of various draught beers whilst I as the designated driver stuck with zero alcohol stuff although in fairness he did wave his glass in front of me so I could inhale the vapours!

It was a very enjoyable afternoon. Thanks for the recommendations, Eddie! Sorry we missed you.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

@Eddie recommended a place in Ashbourne that did brilliant beer called 'The House of Beer'. I took Mr Miggins there this afternoon and he indulged in 4 half pints of various draught beers whilst I as the designated driver stuck with zero alcohol stuff although in fairness he did wave his glass in front of me so I could inhale the vapours!

It was a very enjoyable afternoon. Thanks for the recommendations, Eddie! Sorry we missed you.

We would normally have been there, but this week, there are road works which caused the cancellation of our bus, so we stayed at home and drank a few. In my case, a couple of German beers (a Doppelbock and an Oktoberfest) and a Belgian Abbey beer.

Glad you enjoyed it - it's my favourite bar and my favourite bottle shop. All things being equal, we should be back to normal next week.

On 31/10/2021 at 16:34, StockholmRam said:

Flights and hotels booked. Finally after 2 years able to come back to uk to visit family and friends at Christmas.

Been a rough 2 years for many and my lot have been no different. Going to be a lovely but emotional trip. Tickets booked for myself and the lad for boxing day v West Brom. 

You will know this I’m sure, but just in case - the WBA match is not on Boxing Day now. They’ve moved it to the 27th.

You know how it is...

You come home from war... your thoughts, nightmares, mental torture, and guilt over not keeping your mate alive, despite them only being feet apart when the Afghan sniper hit... all firmly bottled away for 4 years in an army issue camo travel-flask... before finally coming clean (read "failed to hide it any longer"!) to your superiors, army doctors, shrinks, and... eventually... family!

A further 5 years pass by (on Civvy Street) with mainly ineffective help, advice and treatment (not for the lack of trying!), whilst the meds, the waking nightmares, the endless sleepless nights, the guilt, and the suicidal tendencies continue apace... until finally, along comes a seemingly successful (fingers crossed!) bout of EMDR therapies, slowly but surely making for a massive upturn in all things mood related.  (Still early days, mind!  Taking nothing for granted, here!)

And then... with almost perfect timing... the chance of a new start.  A new focus.  A new purpose in life. 
As of this very morning... confirmed!

Some folk... particularly parents, I would imagine... may see the fact that their son is about to head off clearing the planet of landmines (starting with 6 months in Cambodia in the new year) as a bit of a bummer!
But with what we have all been through for the last five years (Plus the secret four, for him!) and with the smile finally back on his face, and a renewed zest for the future, I'm putting today down as being one of the best... despite the natural parental trepidation... because quite simply, it's what he wants... what he needs... and what he deserves.

Just need to get through this coming Sunday, as we'll be with him when he heads homeward from his Cornish Hideaway, and goes for a long awaited* chat and a catch-up with the aforementioned mate's name-on-the-Camp Bastion Wall, at The National Memorial Arboretum, then it really is time to move onwards, upwards, and forwards!
(*It was an annual thing, until Covid scuppered last year's visit)

I may delete this any time soon... for obvious reasons... but right now, with tears in my eyes... I just want to scream out in unashamed relief!
I think he... and we... might just have turned a very long, slow corner.  Who knows... we may even have made it out through the other side!

Good day?  Hell yeah!

For The Fallen.
For Matt.
And for those still with us.
xxx

#LWF

summer-sunset-over-poppy-field-picture-i

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

You know how it is...

You come home from war... your thoughts, nightmares, mental torture, and guilt over not keeping your mate alive, despite them only being feet apart when the Afghan sniper hit... all firmly bottled away for 4 years in an army issue camo travel-flask... before finally coming clean (read "failed to hide it any longer"!) to your superiors, army doctors, shrinks, and... eventually... family!

A further 5 years pass by (on Civvy Street) with mainly ineffective help, advice and treatment (not for the lack of trying!), whilst the meds, the waking nightmares, the endless sleepless nights, the guilt, and the suicidal tendencies continue apace... until finally, along comes a seemingly successful (fingers crossed!) bout of EMDR therapies, slowly but surely making for a massive upturn in all things mood related.  (Still early days, mind!  Taking nothing for granted, here!)

And then... with almost perfect timing... the chance of a new start.  A new focus.  A new purpose in life. 
As of this very morning... confirmed!

Some folk... particularly parents, I would imagine... may see the fact that their son is about to head off clearing the planet of landmines (starting with 6 months in Cambodia in the new year) as a bit of a bummer!
But with what we have all been through for the last five years (Plus the secret four, for him!) and with the smile finally back on his face, and a renewed zest for the future, I'm putting today down as being one of the best... despite the natural parental trepidation... because quite simply, it's what he wants... what he needs... and what he deserves.

Just need to get through this coming Sunday, as we'll be with him when he heads homeward from his Cornish Hideaway, and goes for a long awaited* chat and a catch-up with the aforementioned mate's name-on-the-Camp Bastion Wall, at The National Memorial Arboretum, then it really is time to move onwards, upwards, and forwards!
(*It was an annual thing, until Covid scuppered last year's visit)

I may delete this any time soon... for obvious reasons... but right now, with tears in my eyes... I just want to scream out in unashamed relief!
I think he... and we... might just have turned a very long, slow corner.  Who knows... we may even have made it out through the other side!

Good day?  Hell yeah!

For The Fallen.
For Matt.
And for those still with us.
xxx

#LWF

summer-sunset-over-poppy-field-picture-i

I don’t know how it is. But I do hope that the mine clearing goes very well for everyone involved, if not well for the mines.