What made today a special day?

Miggins

On 08/11/2021 at 15:37, Mucker1884 said:

You know how it is...

You come home from war... your thoughts, nightmares, mental torture, and guilt over not keeping your mate alive, despite them only being feet apart when the Afghan sniper hit... all firmly bottled away for 4 years in an army issue camo travel-flask... before finally coming clean (read "failed to hide it any longer"!) to your superiors, army doctors, shrinks, and... eventually... family!

A further 5 years pass by (on Civvy Street) with mainly ineffective help, advice and treatment (not for the lack of trying!), whilst the meds, the waking nightmares, the endless sleepless nights, the guilt, and the suicidal tendencies continue apace... until finally, along comes a seemingly successful (fingers crossed!) bout of EMDR therapies, slowly but surely making for a massive upturn in all things mood related.  (Still early days, mind!  Taking nothing for granted, here!)

And then... with almost perfect timing... the chance of a new start.  A new focus.  A new purpose in life. 
As of this very morning... confirmed!

Some folk... particularly parents, I would imagine... may see the fact that their son is about to head off clearing the planet of landmines (starting with 6 months in Cambodia in the new year) as a bit of a bummer!
But with what we have all been through for the last five years (Plus the secret four, for him!) and with the smile finally back on his face, and a renewed zest for the future, I'm putting today down as being one of the best... despite the natural parental trepidation... because quite simply, it's what he wants... what he needs... and what he deserves.

Just need to get through this coming Sunday, as we'll be with him when he heads homeward from his Cornish Hideaway, and goes for a long awaited* chat and a catch-up with the aforementioned mate's name-on-the-Camp Bastion Wall, at The National Memorial Arboretum, then it really is time to move onwards, upwards, and forwards!
(*It was an annual thing, until Covid scuppered last year's visit)

I may delete this any time soon... for obvious reasons... but right now, with tears in my eyes... I just want to scream out in unashamed relief!
I think he... and we... might just have turned a very long, slow corner.  Who knows... we may even have made it out through the other side!

Good day?  Hell yeah!

For The Fallen.
For Matt.
And for those still with us.
xxx

#LWF

summer-sunset-over-poppy-field-picture-i

Thanks, @Mucker1884. This is a post that will stay in my thoughts for a long time. Love to you and your family and hope that your son has indeed made it through. Well done and stay safe, 'Little Mucker!' xxx

The autumn was at its very best today, really going out in a blaze of glory! And what a departure! The light was golden, yet wistful and when the sun came out the trees were radiant with long golden shadows everywhere. I love these glorious sunsets at this time of year with their golden, coppery tones. I also love those autumn days when everything is cloudy, misty, hazy and wraith-like. Every season has its delights and today was one of the finest. Hope I wasn't the only one who managed to see it!

Also watched the service at the cenotaph with its evocative music and personal testimonies. The most special thing about today.

I was a bit poorly in the night and wide awake from about 1 -5pm. I lay in bed looking out of the window and I saw a most spectacular shooting star! It was quite bright and was the first one I've seen for years! 

There you go! Three reasons for today being a special day!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the snow is not good for everyone, but for those of us who don't need to go anywhere today in Derbyshire it is magical. It is very still so all the trees and branches are covered in a thick layer of snow. I thought that the cat might be interested in this phenomenon but he is completely unaffected! When I taught in North Derbyshire we always had snow during the last week of November in the 1990's but much less so since then and for the last couple of years we have very little so this has seemed extra special today. The light in the kitchen at the moment is quite unique.

Put up the christmas lights in our windows this morning so blame me!!

Hope others have had a chance to enjoy the snowfall. Otherwise I genuinely apologize.?

@G STAR RAM telling me I'm pig headed properly gave me a laugh.

Also, it finally being warmer in Cornwall than Derbyshire.

I had no clue before I moved here a year ago that until you get into late autumn Matlock's average temperature is significantly higher than where we are in Cornwall.

But this is the time of the year it tips, so happy not to be dealing with snow.

I think last winter I used a de-icer on my car 3, maybe 4 times.

31 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I know that the snow is not good for everyone, but for those of us who don't need to go anywhere today in Derbyshire it is magical. It is very still so all the trees and branches are covered in a thick layer of snow. I thought that the cat might be interested in this phenomenon but he is completely unaffected! When I taught in North Derbyshire we always had snow during the last week of November in the 1990's but much less so since then and for the last couple of years we have very little so this has seemed extra special today. The light in the kitchen at the moment is quite unique.

Put up the christmas lights in our windows this morning so blame me!!

Hope others have had a chance to enjoy the snowfall. Otherwise I genuinely apologize.?

You mean like these at the bottom of my garden? 

20211128_163203.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I had no clue before I moved here a year ago that until you get into late autumn Matlock's average temperature is significantly higher than where we are in Cornwall.

pig GIFJudging by this little fella, I'd take that as a compliment! ?

Edited by Miggins

On 28/11/2021 at 16:25, Bob The Badger said:

I don't recall calling you pig headed.

I do recall describing how pig headed people behave, whether you think you tick the boxes or not is for you to decide!

Anyway, having travelled from Derbyshire, to Norfolk and then on to Devon, I can confirm that Derbyshire is easily the coldest.

On to Cornwall tomorrow and will see how the temperature measures up down there.