What made today a special day?

Miggins

2 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Happy hens lay tasty eggs! So glad you care so much about them. I wish all the hens in the country were looked after like this. We have sown wild flowers into the grass but I think we might have to re-sow next year as not many came up. It took us 2 years to get a hedgehog into our shelter, so I think you just have to be patient! ?

Ah thats a shame, hopefully you will have more look next year ? Being super impatient myself I just bought a few rolls of 'far more expensive than you'd think' meadow turf. 

This was yesterday but I finally managed to swim front crawl properly (correct breathing etc) for the first time in the deserted gym swimming pool.

I'm not a bad swimmer (breaststroke mainly) but never mastered front crawl as a youngster. Having watched numerous swimming classes for my daughter, I decided yesterday to follow what I'd seen her learn and give it a proper go.

This old dog has learnt a new trick!

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

This was yesterday but I finally managed to swim front crawl properly (correct breathing etc) for the first time in the deserted gym swimming pool.

I'm not a bad swimmer (breaststroke mainly) but never mastered front crawl as a youngster. Having watched numerous swimming classes for my daughter, I decided yesterday to follow what I'd seen her learn and give it a proper go.

Took swimming lessons when I was about 42 and was ok with breaststroke but never mastered the crawl - could never co-ordinate the breathing, always got a mouthful of water.

Love the hedgehog tales on here.

On 06/09/2021 at 11:23, TimRam said:

Not had hedgehogs in garden for years. A couple have made their home this year though. They drink a lot of water so I always put a fresh saucer out with food. Cheeky mouse sometimes joins them!

Wonderful footage of a very satisfied hedgehog and a hyperactive mouse! Our hedgehog has disappeared but we hope it will be back soon !

On 06/09/2021 at 11:04, Wolfie said:

Your humble nature prevented you from uploading the evidence so I've taken the liberty of doing that for you.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uza6tzu4pceu0v3o9f

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Your humble nature prevented you from uploading the evidence so I've taken the liberty of doing that for you.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uza6tzu4pceu0v3o9f

That's actually not far off what happened last night when I got cocky and tried to replicate Sunday's feat in the now-a-bit-more-crowded pool.

I salvaged what dignity I had left and went & hid in the steam room.

Still, if I've done it once etc..... just more practice required!

Last night we went out for a meal with my in-laws (or the out-laws as we know them!). I've not seen my 'Ma and Pa' since 'Pa' had his lung operation in May despite them only living 20 minutes away as they stayed away from any chance of infection. It was wonderful to hug both of them! We have kept in contact via the phone but nothing beats a hug!! We had a delicious meal, (Sea bass in tarragon sauce) but the precious thing about the evening was the chance to chat face to face, to laugh and tease. It was a warm evening so when we got back to ours we had coffee on the patio and I lit 3 candles and we just talked idly about this and that in the candlelight and for a few hours it felt as if all was right with the world... 

My lady and I headed off to see two of my oldest and dearest fiends last night. I've not see them since before the pandemic and they've had a torrid and at times tragic time of things, losing 3 friends (to cancer, not Covid) and major health scares for both of them and two of their parents.

Had a wonderful evening with a delicious meal and much laughter and merriment, as is always the case. It was as if we'd never been apart. We all woke up this morning with hangovers but in good humour, ate a hearty breakfast then we headed home. I'm still smiling now. If there's been one small benefit to the whole Covid issue, it's that I value the good times so much more and take far less for granted. You can't make every day special, but there's no harm in trying.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

My lady and I headed off to see two of my oldest and dearest fiends last night. I've not see them since before the pandemic and they've had a torrid and at times tragic time of things, losing 3 friends (to cancer, not Covid) and major health scares for both of them and two of their parents.

Had a wonderful evening with a delicious meal and much laughter and merriment, as is always the case. It was as if we'd never been apart. We all woke up this morning with hangovers but in good humour, ate a hearty breakfast then we headed home. I'm still smiling now. If there's been one small benefit to the whole Covid issue, it's that I value the good times so much more and take far less for granted. You can't make every day special, but there's no harm in trying.

Know exactly how you feel, @86 Hair Islands. About 2 weeks ago I met up with my old teacher training friends, Margaret and John. They live in Middlesex and were up in the Peak District for a holiday. We trained as teachers together and now John has retired! Where on earth did that time go? We went for a delicious Indian meal in Darley Dale and it was just as if no time had passed at all. So sad to hear that your friends have had such a horrid time but it's these kind of connections that help to mitigate sadness and replace it with positive thoughts. I agree that you can't make every day special, but there is no harm in trying. God knows there are dark days so we have to balance them by finding as many good days as we can and having lots of fun in the process!

Edited by Miggins

• 2 weeks later...

We took my mums dog, Jasmine, to the groomers last week. Jasmine is a golden cairn terrier and is 10 years old. She is supremely fit, slim and in good health. So I was horrified when the groomer pointed out a large lump just below her collar. We got her to the vets yesterday for an examination and whilst the vet can't be 100% sure what it is, all the signs point towards fatty tissue. I know we are not certain of this but it has made me feel so much better as my anxiety levels had gone through the roof. Jasmine is the companion for my mum who is 90. She snuggles up to mum at night and curls up on her lap and really keeps my mum going... and you can guess the rest. Feeling 75% less anxious tonight! It has been a good day!