Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

Energy sapping result tonight for both sides. Wouldn't want either to have won, no spirited fightback to draw from either side. Can't see it as anything other than a good result for us. We have to make it count on Saturday by getting 3 points and going above Peterborough. Hopefully Rooney can free the lads up from any nerves and get them to play positively and take control from the off...

Good result for us last night I thought.

Posh now have to play us less than 72 hours after leaving the pitch last night.  They will also be distracted by their FA Cup run.

If we beat them on Sat we go above them, psychologically very important at this stage if the lads can do it.  Goal difference is SO important now.

Reading are obviously all over the place, the whole less than the sum of the parts, fans disgruntled, dressing room tensions etc.  Once we are just one place and only a few points below them and with a much superior GD then, given the form of both teams, the pressure will be very much on them rather than us.

I originally thought that we would need 12 points from the 6 games in Feb to bring us within sight of Reading, but it now seems that even if we can just pick up another 3-6 points from the next 3 games we will be breathing down their necks.

As long as this form continues, the fact is that we do seem to be the team out of the bottom 4 best placed to escape the drop.

Finally, if/when we do overtake Reading, the pressure then piles onto the other 3 teams because they will know that, compared to them, we are likely to pick up more points going forward - IF the current run of form continues.

Who would have believed 2 months ago that the table would look like this?

What a season!

8 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Key parts to the run in for Reading is if/when they sack their manager & who they bring in to replace him. Squad isnt too bad, abit like us last season where the squad is alright but confidence has gone.

For us its how soon can we name a PB & potentially bring in some free agents to strengthen our squad.

Both teams are a few key injuries away from disaster imo. If Reading lose Joao, Swift & even Ince they could be in trouble. For us if we lost Davies Lawrence Plange we could be struggling big time due to lack of cover.

That's a really good summary of where we are at...

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

This is the result we wanted. Don’t rule out Peterborough as they have a game in hand.

Reading now 5 points ahead but must be looking over their shoulder now. 

Because, at the bottom of the league, when you haven’t won a game in months, games in hand are as good as 3 points in the bag. 

The Championship is a division notorious for teams going on sudden winning streaks and saving themselves, or even forcing their way into the promotion frame. For that reason, I won't write off any of the bottom 4 until it's certain. I'm sure Rooney will keep the team focused on "one game at a time" and not allow any complacency to set in. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree. How can any fan think that yelling at their players like this helps their club? 

I agree with you, it doesn't help at all.

I guess if the players aren't playing for the team and there's a perception of infighting. That kind of thing can escalate quickly once it starts. Vicious circle isn't it.

If we were in the same position as them, there would surely be an element of our fans who would do this. Fortunately, we've captured a togetherness led by Rooney, Rosenior and the team but things could have been very different.

Whether we stay up or go down this season {I believe we will stay up} I am already immensely proud of Derby and Derbyshire for the way we have as a city and county pulled together and shown immense levels of support; the March was a great act of unity. The money raised so that the ground is filled with people at a time when people are struggling with soaring bills is eye-watering. The name of Derby County has been resurrected by these actions and the reputation of Derby and Derbyshire folk has been enhanced as a place where people look after one another. I’m so proud of that. 

We fight to the end. We stay positive. We look after each other. We stay united. That’s what defines our support and that’s what defines being a team. 

Edited by Ellafella