Jump to content

The Championship 21/22


David
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 25/07/2021 at 10:19, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do these people have an ounce of self awareness?

 

It goes against the spirit of FFP, but you’re right, we’re in no position to be judgemental.

Clubs will always be looking for creative ways to circumvent FFP and this could be the new norm where Prem clubs delay payments to ensure they get a decent fee for their player.

We now know from first hand experience, if you get too creative, use all your aces up the sleeve it can come back to bite you on the backside.

Fulham will go up, we won’t be competing at the same end of the table as them so it is what it is.

What amazes me is Forest appear to have gone under the radar, they are over there enjoying our “downfall”, fair play to them, we’d do the same, but they have an owner with 2 clubs selling players between them both.

How that hasn’t triggered an investigation in the same way a stadium sale has I’ll never know, well I do. Steve Gibson and Karen Maguire, upset those to and they EFL will be banging on the door. 

So much stinks in football, find myself applauding these new creative ways if anything now, just shows how fit fit purpose they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a go at predicting the league table for this season in a competition: 

1. Fulham
2. Sheff Utd
3. Bournemouth
4. West Brom
5. Middlesborough
6. QPR

7. Stoke City
8. Notts Forest
9. Millwall
10. Cardiff City
11. Blackburn Rovers
12. Birmingham City
13. Swansea City
14. Luton Town
15. Barnsley
16. Bristol City
17. Coventry City
18. Reading
19. Preston
20. Hull City
21. Peterborough

22. Derby County
23. Huddersfield Town
24. Blackpool

When I considered everything, although I think we will ultimately get relegated, I do think we will end up putting up more than a fight than I originally expected. Of course, this is on the basis that we can sign at least 4 of our free agents on trial. It's also on the basis that we DON'T get a point deduction. If either of them happen then we will finish 24th at a canter. 

I think the top four are a cut above everything else in the division, comfortably, but the final 2 places in the play-offs could be hard fought this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've had a go at predicting the league table for this season in a competition: 

1. Fulham
2. Sheff Utd
3. Bournemouth
4. West Brom
5. Middlesborough
6. QPR

7. Stoke City
8. Notts Forest
9. Millwall
10. Cardiff City
11. Blackburn Rovers
12. Birmingham City
13. Swansea City
14. Luton Town
15. Barnsley
16. Bristol City
17. Coventry City
18. Reading
19. Preston
20. Hull City
21. Peterborough

22. Derby County
23. Huddersfield Town
24. Blackpool

When I considered everything, although I think we will ultimately get relegated, I do think we will end up putting up more than a fight than I originally expected. Of course, this is on the basis that we can sign at least 4 of our free agents on trial. It's also on the basis that we DON'T get a point deduction. If either of them happen then we will finish 24th at a canter. 

I think the top four are a cut above everything else in the division, comfortably, but the final 2 places in the play-offs could be hard fought this season.

Which games are we going to lose? Just asking so I can do something else that day. Ta muchly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've had a go at predicting the league table for this season in a competition: 

1. Fulham
2. Sheff Utd
3. Bournemouth
4. West Brom
5. Middlesborough
6. QPR

7. Stoke City
8. Notts Forest
9. Millwall
10. Cardiff City
11. Blackburn Rovers
12. Birmingham City
13. Swansea City
14. Luton Town
15. Barnsley
16. Bristol City
17. Coventry City
18. Reading
19. Preston
20. Hull City
21. Peterborough

22. Derby County
23. Huddersfield Town
24. Blackpool

When I considered everything, although I think we will ultimately get relegated, I do think we will end up putting up more than a fight than I originally expected. Of course, this is on the basis that we can sign at least 4 of our free agents on trial. It's also on the basis that we DON'T get a point deduction. If either of them happen then we will finish 24th at a canter. 

I think the top four are a cut above everything else in the division, comfortably, but the final 2 places in the play-offs could be hard fought this season.

Go on then...

  1. Fulham
  2. Bournemouth
  3. West Brom
  4. QPR
  5. Cardiff
  6. Sheff Utd
  7. Barnsley
  8. Millwall
  9. Swansea
  10. Forest
  11. Middlesbrough
  12. Luton
  13. Preston
  14. Birmingham
  15. Derby
  16. Blackburn
  17. Stoke
  18. Hull
  19. Reading (points deduction)
  20. Coventry
  21. Peterborough
  22. Huddersfield
  23. Bristol City
  24. Blackpool
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 10:53, David said:

It goes against the spirit of FFP, but you’re right, we’re in no position to be judgemental.

Clubs will always be looking for creative ways to circumvent FFP and this could be the new norm where Prem clubs delay payments to ensure they get a decent fee for their player.

We now know from first hand experience, if you get too creative, use all your aces up the sleeve it can come back to bite you on the backside.

Fulham will go up, we won’t be competing at the same end of the table as them so it is what it is.

What amazes me is Forest appear to have gone under the radar, they are over there enjoying our “downfall”, fair play to them, we’d do the same, but they have an owner with 2 clubs selling players between them both.

How that hasn’t triggered an investigation in the same way a stadium sale has I’ll never know, well I do. Steve Gibson and Karen Maguire, upset those to and they EFL will be banging on the door. 

So much stinks in football, find myself applauding these new creative ways if anything now, just shows how fit fit purpose they are.

The only reason EFL went after us was cos Steve Gibson moaned about it. The only reason he loaned was cos we were competing with boro for a play off place. 

Ergo, no one will moan about forest, because they’re not going to be competing with anyone for a play off place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

QPR had an excellent second half of the season last year. I think they will fancy a run at the playoffs.

I think Coventry and Blackpool could surprise too with decent midtable finishes.

On the flip side, I see Preston struggling (I think they’ll go down) while Reading and Swansea may disappoint too. 

West Brom to win the league. Derby’s fate to depend on signings. Currently I find it tough to see three worst sides in the league, but that could all change before the transfer deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

QPR had an excellent second half of the season last year. I think they will fancy a run at the playoffs.

I think Coventry and Blackpool could surprise too with decent midtable finishes.

On the flip side, I see Preston struggling (I think they’ll go down) while Reading and Swansea may disappoint too. 

West Brom to win the league. Derby’s fate to depend on signings. Currently I find it tough to see three worst sides in the league, but that could all change before the transfer deadline.

How much of a role did Carroll play in QPRs late run?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Sheff United & Jokanovic may take time to gel & what looks a good match up may actually end up backfiring.  He's inherited a squad familiar with one manager & his style of play. The likes of Brewster may thrive under the new boss, but the Blades are unsettled (Berge). I think Wilder's reputation took a massive knock after the owner revealed his side of the story. He basically said that he'd back him if they got relegated but asked questions about why some of the signings, like Brewster, were not working out. That seems a fair criticism. Wilder came across as a bit of a Billy Davies, pursuing his own agenda, agitating to leave a lot earlier than he did and clearly something must be amiss if WBA were divided about appointing him.

As for us, I think we are in a desperate situation. We have some talented players, but we also need the types flagged up by Steve Nicholson, 26-29 in age, experienced and in their physical prime to cope with a demanding league (know how). We, too, could receive a points deduction. If you flip things round and another side was in our predicament & experienced the close season we've had, you'd probably have them in the bottom three.

I think several sides in/around us last season have gone quietly about their business and have experienced managers who may not be spectacular but know football & the division. The likes of Coventry will be boosted by the return to the Ricoh, I agree about QPR, Blackpool have a promising manager, many of our rivals in our division play as teams (Luton). At the end of last season, we fell apart and were in freefall. 

I think Preston could struggle, if Alex Neil couldn't turn around things, the new boss may struggle and interim bosses struggle to continue making the same impact after getting the job on a permanent basis. Swansea have had a difficult summer and lost the spine of a team like we did under Frank Lampard: on loan GK Woodman, Guehi, Hourihane & Ayew in attack, whose contract came to an end. It's a good job & yet Eustace turned it down, perhaps because it'll be hard to maintain the momentum they've had for the last two seasons. 

Blackburn may struggle, Mowbray has done a great job but it seemed to fizzle out & there was speculation about his role - and if they lose Armstrong, he could be hard to replace. I also agree about Bristol City though they have enough experience to stay out of danger. They lack goals, but Weimann's return could be key.

You'd expect some of the promoted sides to struggle, Hull are under an embargo as well.

As for the top end of the divison, Fulham look most likely. Usually a side with a manager in situ for at least one season challenges. QPR & Middlesbrough perhaps with Warnock, love him or hate him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think Sheff United & Jokanovic may take time to gel & what looks a good match up may actually end up backfiring.  He's inherited a squad familiar with one manager & his style of play. The likes of Brewster may thrive under the new boss, but the Blades are unsettled (Berge). I think Wilder's reputation took a massive knock after the owner revealed his side of the story. He basically said that he'd back him if they got relegated but asked questions about why some of the signings, like Brewster, were not working out. That seems a fair criticism. Wilder came across as a bit of a Billy Davies, pursuing his own agenda, agitating to leave a lot earlier than he did and clearly something must be amiss if WBA were divided about appointing him.

As for us, I think we are in a desperate situation. We have some talented players, but we also need the types flagged up by Steve Nicholson, 26-29 in age, experienced and in their physical prime to cope with a demanding league (know how). We, too, could receive a points deduction. If you flip things round and another side was in our predicament & experienced the close season we've had, you'd probably have them in the bottom three.

I think several sides in/around us last season have gone quietly about their business and have experienced managers who may not be spectacular but know football & the division. The likes of Coventry will be boosted by the return to the Ricoh, I agree about QPR, Blackpool have a promising manager, many of our rivals in our division play as teams (Luton). At the end of last season, we fell apart and were in freefall. 

I think Preston could struggle, if Alex Neil couldn't turn around things, the new boss may struggle and interim bosses struggle to continue making the same impact after getting the job on a permanent basis. Swansea have had a difficult summer and lost the spine of a team like we did under Frank Lampard: on loan GK Woodman, Guehi, Hourihane & Ayew in attack, whose contract came to an end. It's a good job & yet Eustace turned it down, perhaps because it'll be hard to maintain the momentum they've had for the last two seasons. 

Blackburn may struggle, Mowbray has done a great job but it seemed to fizzle out & there was speculation about his role - and if they lose Armstrong, he could be hard to replace. I also agree about Bristol City though they have enough experience to stay out of danger. They lack goals, but Weimann's return could be key.

You'd expect some of the promoted sides to struggle, Hull are under an embargo as well.

As for the top end of the divison, Fulham look most likely. Usually a side with a manager in situ for at least one season challenges. QPR & Middlesbrough perhaps with Warnock, love him or hate him.

 

When many of the teams are of equal or similar quality, their season really can come down to the experience of the manager.

I don’t think Forest or Boro have particularly great teams (set of players), especially compared to say Fulham and West Brom, but in Warnock and Hughton they have managers who know how to get results at this level.

I think Bristol City will be one to watch as an unpredictable side. I really can’t call which way they’ll go with Pearson there. They were awful in the second half of last season.

I agree on Sheffield United. They may take a while to find their footing, similar to Fulham under Jokanovic’s first season. 

The Championship is an unforgiving league. And one where a third of the clubs will have different managers in charge come next May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2021 at 10:53, David said:

It goes against the spirit of FFP, but you’re right, we’re in no position to be judgemental.

Clubs will always be looking for creative ways to circumvent FFP and this could be the new norm where Prem clubs delay payments to ensure they get a decent fee for their player.

We now know from first hand experience, if you get too creative, use all your aces up the sleeve it can come back to bite you on the backside.

Fulham will go up, we won’t be competing at the same end of the table as them so it is what it is.

What amazes me is Forest appear to have gone under the radar, they are over there enjoying our “downfall”, fair play to them, we’d do the same, but they have an owner with 2 clubs selling players between them both.

How that hasn’t triggered an investigation in the same way a stadium sale has I’ll never know, well I do. Steve Gibson and Karen Maguire, upset those to and they EFL will be banging on the door. 

So much stinks in football, find myself applauding these new creative ways if anything now, just shows how fit fit purpose they are.

Also where  the funds for Forest come from , if the articles by David Conn are correct and Marinikas gets convicted for his alleged misdemeanours the Red Dogs could be in serious trouble. 
Quite how he passed the EFL fit and proper test is amazing and how the Trees fans don’t seem to care is just as bad 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Millwall and QPR have recruited well and have good championship managers so top 8 for them along sadly with Middlesbrough because Warnock just knows how to win similar to Cardiff and their manager 

Red dogs - no idea other than average - far too many players on their books who aren’t going anywhere 

Us - well I think if we avoid point deductions we could actually make mid table optimistically speaking but we desperately need that goal scorer unless our midfielders suddenly start shooting on target and regularly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Also where  the funds for Forest come from , if the articles by David Conn are correct and Marinikas gets convicted for his alleged misdemeanours the Red Dogs could be in serious trouble. 
Quite how he passed the EFL fit and proper test is amazing and how the Trees fans don’t seem to care is just as bad 

Forest will be enjoying the developments at Derby, but I’m sure they are heading into a world of mess soon. 

Not necessarily the conviction of their owner, but FFP and transferring players between his clubs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think Millwall and QPR have recruited well and have good championship managers so top 8 for them along sadly with Middlesbrough because Warnock just knows how to win similar to Cardiff and their manager 

Red dogs - no idea other than average - far too many players on their books who aren’t going anywhere 

Us - well I think if we avoid point deductions we could actually make mid table optimistically speaking but we desperately need that goal scorer unless our midfielders suddenly start shooting on target and regularly 

If only we had an attacking midfielder who has shown a willingness and ability to take on shots with an excellent goal scoring record when starting games in his correct position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, David said:

Forest will be enjoying the developments at Derby, but I’m sure they are heading into a world of mess soon. 

Not necessarily the conviction of their owner, but FFP and transferring players between his clubs. 

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, nor should there be. Olympiacos and Forest are different entities - the former is actually doing quite well with some big name players - both in name length and reputation. They won the league at a canter last season and competed quite well in Europe. 

In truth, he could probably be doing more to help Forest considering the set up he has. Although, I understand Olympiacos will have their own FFP rules to adhere to, particularly given their involvement in European football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that, nor should there be. Olympiacos and Forest are different entities - the former is actually doing quite well with some big name players - both in name length and reputation. They won the league at a canter last season and competed quite well in Europe. 

In truth, he could probably be doing more to help Forest considering the set up he has. Although, I understand Olympiacos will have their own FFP rules to adhere to, particularly given their involvement in European football. 

So it’s ok for the owner to negotiate with himself over the transfer price, sales which can help either club out with FFP?

Lost count how many players have moved between the 2 clubs now since he arrived. Cafu has this summer joined permanently from Olympiacos having been on loan.

They took a striker on a free from them and then sold Thiago Silva to Olympiacos last summer. 

No 2 clubs ever transfer players between them as much as these 2.

However selling your stadium to yourself under a new business name is frowned upon though, considered a loophole which the EFL have now closed. 

If the stadium sale wasn’t investigated, all the other gremlins wouldn’t have been revealed.

The more players move between his clubs, won’t be long before it comes to the attention of the EFL, I do wonder what gremlins Forest have to reveal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.