Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

36 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

So much of what's gone on with the club must have effected the top end academy sides

Like has been mentioned, U23s and U18 have been stripped of top players for a lot of matches, but also for training too. For example Cashin has played for U23s as he can't play senior, but I'm assuming he's been training with the seniors more due to numbers, so they may not have trained together as much as would be ideal

Then there's the motivation others have mentioned, must be tough as an U23 talent knowing whatever you do, you can't play for the seniors

Theres also other factors like injuries ect, but I think that's the main crux of it 

Indeed.

I think we'd have seen glimpses of Cashin (and possibly Liam Thompson and Luke Plange) in the first team this season if it wasn't for the EFL's ridiculous 'player of professional standing' rules.

3 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Indeed.

I think we'd have seen glimpses of Cashin (and possibly Liam Thompson and Luke Plange) in the first team this season if it wasn't for the EFL's ridiculous 'player of professional standing' rules.

Agreed, when your rules are holding young players development back its time to have a good look at yourself 

I was disappointed (as if my expectations weren't low enough) of the EFLs reply to question in that essentially saying it was our choice to bring in a few experienced frees this summer instead of promoting them... Bol1@%s 

Imagine the the difference for Cashin playing amongst Curtis and Jags, compared to Cashin-Brown at the back! 

I seem to recall Bolton pulled out of fixtures saying their youth team getting destroyed by senior teams was actually detrimental to their development, that's how we'd have been without Jags, Curtis, Stears, Bolldock, Morriston etc

Rant over.... For now 

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

Agreed, when your rules are holding young players development back its time to have a good look at yourself 

I was disappointed (as if my expectations weren't low enough) of the EFLs reply to question in that essentially saying it was our choice to bring in a few experienced frees this summer instead of promoting them... Bol1@%s 

Imagine the the difference for Cashin playing amongst Curtis and Jags, compared to Cashin-Brown at the back! 

I seem to recall Bolton pulled out of fixtures saying their youth team getting destroyed by senior teams was actually detrimental to their development, that's how we'd have been without Jags, Curtis, Stears, Bolldock, Morriston etc

Rant over.... For now 

Totally agree and that's why I asked the follow up question about it in the latest list of questions that Rams Trust have sent to EFL. Not going to let them off the hook that easily. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U18s are 1-0 up after 30 mins (ZDixon, 10').

2 U16s in the starting lineup 

Think Robinson named twice is a mistake: https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2021/10/30/england/premier-academy-league/Derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/manchester-united-fc-under-18-academy/3587737/

Edited by Stuniverse

Stretton looks the part at under-23 level but has generally looked out of his depth when promoted to the first team. I think that probably why he's been stepped down again. I agree he might benefit playing in a pair up front with an experienced striker like CKR, but not convinced at this stage Stretton is going to make the grade at Derby.