Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I have just watched the goals. Stretton takes his well. What is this modern obsession though with passing the ball back to a goalkeeper who is stood on his own goal line? Seems nonsensical to me. I am firmly in the old ‘if in doubt kick it out’ school of pragmatism. 

I agree although, these days, there is probably someone paid to tally up the number of times playing out from the back results in a goal conceded v the number of time hoofing it clear does. Pretty much everything else seems to be monitored and reported as a "meaningful" statistic. ?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree although, these days, there is probably someone paid to tally up the number of times playing out from the back results in a goal conceded v the number of time hoofing it clear does. Pretty much everything else seems to be monitored and reported as a "meaningful" statistic. ?

I rarely watch match of the day but every time I do there is a goal given away caused by pratting around unnecessarily. Playing it out from the back is fine but the stupid ball to your midfielder who is marked, facing his own goal,with the only options being losing it or at best putting it back where it came from, well it seems daft. The rule change relating to goal kicks now means more teams doing it in their six yard box. Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd have Baldock and Stretton, you forgot that bit.

I didn’t forget I didn’t see you mention it you said it might do Stretton more harm playing and Baldock had more experience. I would sooner see Stretton have more game time as hopefully he could be the striker we are crying out for.

Any idea who the coaches are to have stepped up to replace Adam Thorley, who left for Chelsea, and Matthew Thorpe, who left for Liverpool?

Im 99% certain I saw comments from the administrators say said internal appointments were made to replace the two who’ve moved on.

30 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Any idea who the coaches are to have stepped up to replace Adam Thorley, who left for Chelsea, and Matthew Thorpe, who left for Liverpool?

Im 99% certain I saw comments from the administrators say said internal appointments were made to replace the two who’ve moved on.

The 16s won 3-2 against Wolves today and an old flame Josh Butler who previously went to Man City is now looking after the 16s 

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The 16s won 3-2 against Wolves today and an old flame Josh Butler who previously went to Man City is now looking after the 16s 

He was a junior age group coach for muchbof the Clough years. Returned to the club at the start of 2021 in a youth recruitment role.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Always difficult to tell with GKs... their chance of making it generally depends on how much they grow.

Very much this, we had a keeper called Jon Thompson who was England U16's keeper back in the early 90's, unfortunately never made it past 6 foot so he joined the Royal Navy instead.

Follow this lad and Foukes on twitter, both look to be solid keepers so would be nice to have another Lee GRant/Lee Camp situation.

7 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Very much this, we had a keeper called Jon Thompson who was England U16's keeper back in the early 90's, unfortunately never made it past 6 foot so he joined the Royal Navy instead.

Follow this lad and Foukes on twitter, both look to be solid keepers so would be nice to have another Lee GRant/Lee Camp situation.

Harrison Foulkes has been very impressive since his arrival - positioning, distribution, aerial ability and shot stopping. He's 1.90 (6 ' 2").

I'm told that's a bit on the short side for a keeper these days. 

Jack Thompson is younger, so will hopefully still be growing.

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

Harrison Foulkes has been very impressive since his arrival - positioning, distribution, aerial ability and shot stopping. He's 1.90 (6 ' 2").

I like the look of Foulkes, am surprised he's 6' 2" but happy he is tallish.

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

If he's 6'2 I'll eat my own shoes after going on a long walk. Looks more like 5'10 or 5'11, similar to Jon Mitchell.
This pic is from a couple of years ago so unlikely to have grown much since.

image.png.19a9c2e3ce78274b397a11b8a443f321.png