Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Errr I think they might. Can't see that at all.

Charlton could’ve been 3 up in first five minutes….as I said im talking potential chances not clear cuts…we’ve edged that for sure but Charlton have given us problems in equal measure in the final third and started the half in the same manner….that’s 2 clear cuts for them already!!

Festy has been the difference - not with his general play but they simply can’t deal with him if he runs at the full back. 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:17, Ravabeerbelly said:

Not happening. You simply can’t do that without the player agreeing. It’s a legally binding contract that can only be terminated by mutual consent, no matter whether you offer to pay it up on full or not. 

If your club doesn't want you and you have the chance to have your contract paid up through to the end so you can go to a team where you would be wanted, get game time, and get paid even more money on top, you'd be bonkers not to. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If your club doesn't want you and you have the chance to have your contract paid up through to the end so you can go to a team where you would be wanted, get game time, and get paid even more money on top, you'd be bonkers not to. 

Which as I said, would be a mutual agreement. 

However what you said was “terminate contracts and release them”. To which I said “won’t be happening”.

What you’ve said above may happen but lots needs to be in place first and it all needs to make sense for both parties.

Firstly, clubs first offers are rarely to be paid up in full. It wouldn’t make sense to do so. The priority if terminating is financial benefit. 

Then you need to consider that the player is most likely being asked to give up potential bonuses which contractually would still come under loss of earnings. So ‘paid up in full’ becomes arbitrary.

Of course we are assuming it’s within the window or the player moves / agrees to move but can’t play or train anyway?

Then you need to have interest from another club. A club that the player wants to go to. That may mean moving house, moving family. Derby is a nice place to live whereas with no disrespect Morecambe possibly isn’t. This now involves financial implications as well as personal ones.

So even if you have a club that wants the player, even if Derby could agree a financial package, even if the new club can offer finances that make it worthwhile, even if it is in a transfer window….the player still needs to want to go!! He may prefer to sit tight and take his chances on getting a different / better move in the summer.

Notwithstanding all of the above you still have to consider what are the benefits to Derby by doing this?

Firstly they have to find a player better than the one they’ve paid up to lose. Who’s to say those players are readily available? We have no real idea just how good Hutchinson / Watson / Brown are or are going to be or indeed are now. Hutchinson and Watson have looked every bit as good as Sibley and Jozwiak and take away reputation dare I say Lawrence or Morrison!

Then you have to consider if those players are going to want to come to Derby in the position we’re in? Hardly a solid career move at the moment is it?

Then ask if they’d come for the wages we can offer? Or if the wages we will have to pay them are worth the difference in what we were paying Hutchinson / Watson / Brown? At a guess even £4.5k a week against ‘let’s say £1k a week is nearly £200k a year more…plus bonuses plus relocation fees, plus agent fees…..so let’s assumed we swapped all three for 3 players on £4.5k a week that’s nearly an increase of £1 million pounds a year just in wages…..where we finding that?

Chances are the type of player we’d replace them with, even if they are better right now, will have no resale value and most likely no use to us beyond the first year of any short term contract!!

I could go on but I think I’ve demonstrated already that it’s really not as simple a case as “pay em up and release them to make way for another player’!!

As I’ve said before I’d be much more inclined to go the other way and take the money on a Lawrence / Sibley / Bird / Jozwiak - even Buchanan when it’s potentially £1-2million coming in in transfers fees and another £500k - 1mill in wages saved PER PLAYER!!!

Living quite near to Kingsmeadow (where Chelsea play their games and rather unsportingly booted out the local team Kingstonians...) I went along to this.    We were quite unlucky to lose, playing better than we did the other night against Charlton. Everybody turned in a decent 6 or 7 out of 10 performances, with the exception of Liam Thompson, who was the best player on the pitch, at least for the first 75 mins.   He outshone both of those perennial Chelsea stars of the future Lewis Baker and George McEachran.

The sending off changed the game - it was a clear red, so we can't feel cheated.  After that the most we could hope for was to hang on for 0 - 0.  Some random thoughts:

• Harrison Foulkes is a tidy keeper, but also unfortunately a tiny one.  He seemed barely visible when their player took the penalty, although Mart Poom standing on the crossbar would have struggled to reach it.
  • We were quite, erm, 'professional' in breaking up Chelsea's potential attacks with carefully timed fouls
  • Jack Stretton certainly likes mixing it with the defenders, often leaving something in there on challenges
  • Ossie Aghitese, who I've always thought looks like he's making up the numbers at u23 level, had a strong second-half performance & so hopefully he's beginning to find his feet
  • Luke Plange looks like a decent asset.
  • Given their resources, I was quite surprised how mundane Chelsea where.  Most of their players seemed a long way of potential Premier league standard.

12 minutes ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Living quite near to Kingsmeadow (where Chelsea play their games and rather unsportingly booted out the local team Kingstonians...) I went along to this.    We were quite unlucky to lose, playing better than we did the other night against Charlton. Everybody turned in a decent 6 or 7 out of 10 performances, with the exception of Liam Thompson, who was the best player on the pitch, at least for the first 75 mins.   He outshone both of those perennial Chelsea stars of the future Lewis Baker and George McEachran.

The sending off changed the game - it was a clear red, so we can't feel cheated.  After that the most we could hope for was to hang on for 0 - 0.  Some random thoughts:

• Harrison Foulkes is a tidy keeper, but also unfortunately a tiny one.  He seemed barely visible when their player took the penalty, although Mart Poom standing on the crossbar would have struggled to reach it.
  • We were quite, erm, 'professional' in breaking up Chelsea's potential attacks with carefully timed fouls
  • Jack Stretton certainly likes mixing it with the defenders, often leaving something in there on challenges
  • Ossie Aghitese, who I've always thought looks like he's making up the numbers at u23 level, had a strong second-half performance & so hopefully he's beginning to find his feet
  • Given their resources, I was quite surprised how mundane Chelsea where.  Most of their players seemed a long way of potential Premier league standard.

Hard to disagree with any of the player comments based on what I've seen of them previously.

Aghatise struggled with the step up previously and has finally started to get going over the past few games.

3 hours ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Thanks, great to get a first hand view of the game. 

On 16/10/2021 at 17:16, Long Time Lurker said:

I would hope Stretton and Plange could make the step up to the first team. We need goalscorers.. badly !

So it’s not been a good year so far for the academy teams. I was wondering why this is. We had quite a few players leave and obviously have a lot in and around the first team squad that would do otherwise be playing in a lower age group.. But still, I’m wondering what effect our embargo is having … we can only sign scholars, right? No one on a professional contract so if we scout out a good young talent, we can’t actually sign them. Meanwhile our better younger players have left us … Gordon, delap, brown to name three. Possibly for financial reasons?

So my thinking is that this embargo is not just having an impact on our first team but also on our young teams … and frankly that doesn’t quite seem right. We’re punished via points and embargo in our first team and also in our youth teams.

So much of what's gone on with the club must have effected the top end academy sides

Like has been mentioned, U23s and U18 have been stripped of top players for a lot of matches, but also for training too. For example Cashin has played for U23s as he can't play senior, but I'm assuming he's been training with the seniors more due to numbers, so they may not have trained together as much as would be ideal

Then there's the motivation others have mentioned, must be tough as an U23 talent knowing whatever you do, you can't play for the seniors

Theres also other factors like injuries ect, but I think that's the main crux of it