Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If he's 6'2 I'll eat my own shoes after going on a long walk. Looks more like 5'10 or 5'11, similar to Jon Mitchell.
This pic is from a couple of years ago so unlikely to have grown much since.

image.png.19a9c2e3ce78274b397a11b8a443f321.png

I’m inclined to agree. He doesn’t look particularly tall in the goal, I would have said under 6foot 

In fairness, I actually thought Jonny Mitchell was quite tall but he obviously didn’t cut it in other ways sadly 

I'm just going off one of the stats  websites, which aren't always right, granted! 

It's very difficult to say based on recent appearances, I'm not much of a photographer and he's partly hidden here, but he appears taller than Cashin and maybe about same height as Isaac Hutchinson.

I agree, not that tallest for a goalkeeper these days.

IMG_20211105_185847.jpg

I'd have Foukes around the same height as me at 5'11, which unfortunately saw me released at 16, however he is playing for the U23's, essentially a ressies side which shows confidence by the club in him and also a level beyond the lads that were youth keepers at Derby at my age and the year after who were both under 6 foot and didn't grow so never played beyond the U18's.

Most GK coaches I speak with won't really look at ANY keeper under 6 foot, but i still maintain that if the talent is there then give them a chance a lad I know who was released at 15 by Reading went away and did A levels and trained privately with coaches has just been signed by Everton for their Dev sides.

3 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Worldfootball.net has Isaac down as 5’8” and Eiran down as 6’1” ??

These sites are a bit rubbish, aren't they? 

Especially with young lads. Anyone who watches under 23s football can see how much Isaac Hutchinson has grown in last couple of years.

16 minutes ago, ram59 said:

At 5ft 9in, I never stood a chance of making it as a goalie, until now, at 62 playing walking football, the goals are only 6ft high. ?

Keep telling yourself that’s the only reason ?

Me? I could never have made it because I was useless at football.

Back in our day you could have made it. Colin Boulton was only 5ft 9in.

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Keep telling yourself that’s the only reason ?

Me? I could never have made it because I was useless at football.

Back in our day you could have made it. Colin Boulton was only 5ft 9in.

Actually, I should correct myself. I did actually play in one match in goal and that was representing DCFC in kit supplied by the club.

The match was a charity match for the West Midlands branch of the supporters club against the Aston Vile supporters club, with a football League referee officiating. We won 4-1 and no, we didn't get a penalty, even then. ??

On 10/11/2021 at 10:20, Mick Harford said:

I'd have Foukes around the same height as me at 5'11, which unfortunately saw me released at 16, however he is playing for the U23's, essentially a ressies side which shows confidence by the club in him and also a level beyond the lads that were youth keepers at Derby at my age and the year after who were both under 6 foot and didn't grow so never played beyond the U18's.

Most GK coaches I speak with won't really look at ANY keeper under 6 foot, but i still maintain that if the talent is there then give them a chance a lad I know who was released at 15 by Reading went away and did A levels and trained privately with coaches has just been signed by Everton for their Dev sides.

Derby have an obsession with short goalies, Roos being the exception. Personally I think it's completely misguided. For anyone under 6 foot 1 to be good in the modern game, they will need to be about the best keeper skill-wise in the country. 

It's become so much about height and reach that, however good someone was who'd stopped growing, I would release them if not 6 foot 2 inches or above... 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Derby have an obsession with short goalies, Roos being the exception. Personally I think it's completely misguided. For anyone under 6 foot 1 to be good in the modern game, they will need to be about the best keeper skill-wise in the country. 

It's become so much about height and reach that, however good someone was who'd stopped growing, I would release them if not 6 foot 2 inches or above... 

actually, in modern times, that’s myth.

As far as I can see, since Shilton (6ft nothing) every regular first team keeper we’ve have been at least 6 ft 2. 

Edited by Tamworthram

39 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

actually, in modern times, that’s myth.

As far as I can see, since Shilton (6ft nothing) every regular first team keeper we’ve have been at least 6 ft 2. 

The academy? Foster was the only tall keeper I remember us having since Grant. Count Roos too if you want but he was an U23 signing