The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The best thing about the constant Euro 96 nostalgia a few weeks ago is that it’s made me realise how important it is to treasure times like this.

I’m 21, no responsibilities, constantly with my mates in the pub and England have a real chance of winning a major tournament.

I’m living my Euro 96 and I’m absolutely loving it.

Drink It in son, drink It in..! 

Before we all get carried away, we ain't won owt yet.

Failure to do so and this is just the same as every other tournament England have been in bar 66. Southgate himself said not reaching the semi's would be a failure so we've basically just achieved our minimum expectations. Yet minimum expectations being met seems to equal mass hysteria.

Will be interesting to see how the narrative changes if the Danes beat us.

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Failure to do so and this is just the same as every other tournament England have been in bar 66. Southgate himself said not reaching the semi's would be a failure so we've basically just achieved our minimum expectations. Yet minimum expectations being met seems to equal mass hysteria.

Why can't we celebrate? This notion that you can't be happy or celebrate until you've won silverware, is a nonsense. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Rammy03

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

We've gotten to our second ever Euro semi-finals, surely thats a massive achievment in itself?  Even the Danes have been to more semi's than us, nevermind the fact that they've actually won the damn thing - they have far more pedigree in the competition than we do.

Its been a good run so far.  We started slowly but have grown into the competition with a couple of good wins in the knockout stages.  Denmark will be a tough match and tbh they could easily beat us if we don't hit top gear.  I'm looking forwards to the match and will have enjoyed the competition regardless of how it ends.  We're starting to see a real confidence and identity from the national team, one that previous, far more famous managers, haven't been able to foster. 

Win or lose the trajectory is definitely upwards ?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

We've gotten to our second ever Euro semi-finals, surely thats a massive achievment in itself?  Even the Danes have been to more semi's than us, nevermind the fact that they've actually won the damn thing - they have far more pedigree in the competition than we do.

Its been a good run so far.  We started slowly but have grown into the competition with a couple of good wins in the knockout stages.  Denmark will be a tough match and tbh they could easily beat us if we don't hit top gear.  I'm looking forwards to the match and will have enjoyed the competition regardless of how it ends.  We're starting to see a real confidence and identity from the national team, one that previous, far more famous managers, haven't been able to foster. 

Win or lose the trajectory is definitely upwards ?

The euros are a weird completion. In the World Cup, for example, only the really top international teams have won it. Us and Spain are the only teams to have won it once. It’s fairly consistent who wins in it, with few shocks. 

Whereas the euros you’ve got Denmark, ducking Greece, and to a certain extent Portugal we’re far from favourites. That’s in my life time. Just checking and there’s also teams like USSR, Czechoslovakia, and the Netherlands in the list of winners.

point is, it seems like anyone can win this completion if the wind blows right for them. So it’s weird we haven’t had any real success in them at all. Law of averages would say that our pedigree should be better than just one semi final before this.

also, only one other team has won a match by a 4 goal margin in this tournament so far. Denmark vs Wales. So this game could be a bit of a goalfest.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

The euros are a weird completion. In the World Cup, for example, only the really top international teams have won it. Us and Spain are the only teams to have won it once. It’s fairly consistent who wins in it, with few shocks. 

Whereas the euros you’ve got Denmark, ducking Greece, and to a certain extent Portugal we’re far from favourites. That’s in my life time. Just checking and there’s also teams like USSR, Czechoslovakia, and the Netherlands in the list of winners.

point is, it seems like anyone can win this completion if the wind blows right for them. So it’s weird we haven’t had any real success in them at all. Law of averages would say that our pedigree should be better than just one semi final before this.

also, only one other team has won a match by a 4 goal margin in this tournament so far. Denmark vs Wales. So this game could be a bit of a goalfest.

I would argue that the Euros are harder to win than the World Cup, for sure the competition is a lot more even than the World Cup, there are very few, if any gimmes that is for sure. 

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

We've gotten to our second ever Euro semi-finals, surely thats a massive achievment in itself? 

?

Third actually, but it's still quite rare. 

We've also had, arguably, more ignominious failures in the euros. Failed to get out of the group stage in 1980, 1992, 2000. Zero points in 1988. Didn't qualify in 1972, 1976, 1984, 2008. Iceland. 

Like the world Cup, as the tournament expands, then the likelihood of abject failure reduces. It's now a 24 team competition so that's nearly half the European soccer nations. Should be no excuse for not qualifying. 

Groups are a bit easier 1980 for example the group was England Belgium Italy and Spain. Truly a "group of death"... 

I think it's always seemed a poor relation to the WC. The latter is expanding as well. I think uefa and fifa have to be a bit careful here not to make competitions so large that they become unwieldy and devalued. 

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Third actually, but it's still quite rare. 

We've also had, arguably, more ignominious failures in the euros. Failed to get out of the group stage in 1980, 1992, 2000. Zero points in 1988. Didn't qualify in 1972, 1976, 1984, 2008. Iceland

Thought I heard 2 during the match the other day.  Just checked the records and perhaps they don't count the 1968 3rd place?

Whatever, as you quite rightly point out our record at the Euro's has been awful.  Other than 1996 have we ever won a knockout game?  And even that was on penalties!

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Thought I heard 2 during the match the other day.  Just checked the records and perhaps they don't count the 1968 3rd place?

Whatever, as you quite rightly point out our record at the Euro's has been awful.  Other than 1996 have we ever won a knockout game?  And even that was on penalties!

Good question. No I don't think we have. 

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I would argue that the Euros are harder to win than the World Cup, for sure the competition is a lot more even than the World Cup, there are very few, if any gimmes that is for sure. 

No chance.

The hard bits of the World Cup are just the Euros with Brazil, Argentina and a few other good teams chucked in.

37 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Only 4 teams in the '68 finals, weren't there? ? The qualifiers back then were like the group stages and QF now.

Never mind a knockout win... After our first win in any round (the 3rd place in 68), it wasn't until 80 we won our 2nd, and 96 for our 3rd. 
In saying that, Iceland are the only team since 68 to beat us (excluding penalties) in the knockout rounds.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No chance.

The hard bits of the World Cup are just the Euros with Brazil, Argentina and a few other good teams chucked in.

I think it really does matter where the tournament is being held. Brazil won their first in Sweden in 1958, however haven't won a world cup in Europe since. The rest have been in America or lastly Japan. 

Incidentally, Brazil were the last non-European side to win a world cup in Europe. Equally, when the World Cup has been held in America then there has always been one South American team in the final. 

I think winning the world cup is much harder, whoever wins it in Qatar is going to have to really earn it - especially considering it will be mid-season. 

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think it's always seemed a poor relation to the WC. The latter is expanding as well. I think uefa and fifa have to be a bit careful here not to make competitions so large that they become unwieldy and devalued. 

Like the 'Champions' and Europa leagues. Too many games which do not mean anything.

8 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

It was always Italy for me,a big ew bet at 8/1,and picked up winnings on every Italy match so far,cannot see Spain stopping them getting to the final,sorry you English fans

I tipped Italy.....Leonardo Spinazzola is a big loss to them tho