Things that are no longer part of football...

RebelScum

52 minutes ago, Jayram said:

All of this plus getting Shoot and Roy of the Rovers every week, Star Soccer with Hugh Johns on a Sunday, the Green Un and always being able to pay on the gate at the BBG. Makes me realise how much I hate modern football!

Two of my memories of Star Soccer are, the Beer at Home Means Davenports adverts before or during the programme and the disability cars around the pitch whenever Coventry City featured from Highfield Road.

Going to post a picture of one so the young ‘uns can see what those people had to put up with back then.

spacer.png

Edited by Pearl Ram

On 22/05/2021 at 08:55, Brammie Steve said:

I used to enjoy the banter and never had any bother.

Sometime early 70s I was standing behind the goal at the Normanton end.

Derby v Liverpool

Before match got talking to a Liverpool fan, teacher I remember. We had a very social chat. Kickoff; he instantly turns into some kind of psychco. Half time, bit wary of him by now, but we had a civilised discussion about the game and the Refs lack of parents. Second half repeat of the first. Think we must have been winning as I remember him having a total meltdown.

I moved well away!

Popside pen was quite dangerous at times mainly from sharpened pennies. Stuff also got dropped from the Ley stand above us. 

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Two of my memories of Star Soccer are, the Beer at Home Means Davenports adverts before or during the programme and the disability cars around the pitch whenever Coventry City featured from Highfield Road.

Going to post a picture of one so the young ‘uns can see what those people had to put up with back then.

spacer.png

Some folk mistook my Reliant Regal for one of these invacars!

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Being able to pay on the gate and terracing.

It goes hand in hand. A group of lads could be having a drink on Friday night when one says shall we go the game tomorrow, two or three say yeah, an hour later two more say the same and before you know it theres a group of you. 

Just turn up, pay, and go and stand together at the match.

Yes you can gain entrance on the day, if you have a customer number and are prepared to get to the ground a good hour before kick off and try and get seats together but Its a ball ache and puts off many casual fans.

Not just the Friday night, either...

Set off for work on Saturday morning... M1 south, heading for Toddington... discuss this afternoon's season opener away to Chelsea... Shall we, Shan't we... Drive straight on past our junction, make up some baloney about car trouble... No work today... head for Stamford Bridge, lunch & Pint, cash on the gate, even for away fans... Job's a good 'un!  ?

16 hours ago, RebelScum said:

Yeh, agree with that! - also, a trip to Wembley should be for the finalists!

When the cup final at the "old" wembley was an event to behold. Even the main camera angle then was just right. The stadium seemed huge and really made it something special, even when the players were walking out onto the pitch. Now, it could be anywhere.

Edited by TimRam

The Wembley camera angle needs sorting out. Far too zoomed in - feels like you're watching a game at Dean Court or somewhere.

And goal nets... proper goal nets individual to each club so you could tell the ground by the shape of the posts.

The goal at the Dell only had a depth of about 2 feet so a Le Tissier net buster would rebound out about 10 yards, the massive billowing box-net that went back for about 15 yards at Wembley, red and white stripes at Anfield...

On 19/05/2021 at 14:38, Mostyn6 said:

Derby being bigger than Leicester. ?

And Bournemouth, and Brighton, and Watford, and Burnley, and Hull. But not Bolton because they have two train stations, were founded six years before us and won four FA Cups so that makes them 14.6183% bigger than us on a rolling average across the last 40 years.

I'm joking, they don't have two train stations.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

The Wembley camera angle needs sorting out. Far too zoomed in - feels like you're watching a game at Dean Court or somewhere.

And goal nets... proper goal nets individual to each club so you could tell the ground by the shape of the posts.

The goal at the Dell only had a depth of about 2 feet so a Le Tissier net buster would rebound out about 10 yards, the massive billowing box-net that went back for about 15 yards at Wembley, red and white stripes at Anfield...

QPR's were belters - if the ball was over the line it was in the back of the net

Not checked previous posts,but on the subject of goalposts l would love the possibility of going back to those beauties that where at the BBG.The rake of the stanchions was unique to DCFC. Oh the good old days AND the goalie just wore a different coloured top,not a completely different kit!

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

QPR's were belters - if the ball was over the line it was in the back of the net

QPR's were my favourite goals. Those and Upton Park's. 

For reasons I could never explain, there was something wonderful about goals with a minimal distance between the line and the net.

It's great that it's been brought up in this thread.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

QPR's were my favourite goals. Those and Upton Park's. 

For reasons I could never explain, there was something wonderful about goals with a minimal distance between the line and the net.

It's great that it's been brought up in this thread.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, brings back everything about football I grew up loving.

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, brings back everything about football I grew up loving.

It was something to do with the boxiness of the shape. Straight back from the crossbar then straight down. No sloping back of the net. Symmetry, purity, aesthetic beauty.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

It was something to do with the boxiness of the shape. Straight back from the crossbar then straight down. No sloping back of the net. Symmetry, purity, aesthetic beauty.

Instant gratification, the ball hits the net almost as it crosses the line. 

Compare that feeling to VAR today.

On 23/05/2021 at 10:28, Pearl Ram said:

Commentators drunk - Hugh Johns was permanently pickled. Just love listening to his voice here. 

I'm going to add one that is hopefully not disrespectful in any way but crushes - and I don't mean on Tarina Prince. But the sways that used to get going in the Popside were just immense, getting out of the ground at the end of the game as well used to take about twenty minutes and as a kid you were pretty much outside The Shaftesbury before your feet touched the ground.

Edited by BaaLocks