Things that are no longer part of football...

RebelScum

On 18/05/2021 at 07:24, Brammie Steve said:

Matches starting on time at 3pm on a Saturday all over the UK.

Home and away supporters standing together on the terraces.

Wandering on to the pitch at the end of a match without it being described as a 'pitch invasion!'

The entire crowd showing appreciation for a good piece of skill (especially exceptional goal-keeping!)

Again, welcoming the goalie!

Being able to pronounce all the players' names!?

With you on all the above...er.. except number 2. Are you sure about that one?

14 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Home and away supporters stood together on the PopSide and interacted in a friendly way.

I used to enjoy the banter and never had any bother.

Maybe being 6 foot and a peak specimen of muscle man at that time helped a bit!

Before my time Steve. When I first went on the Popside they had divided it with a "pen" for ST holders to try and keep home and away fans apart.

It didn't work because fans in the pen had bottles and darts thrown at them by the away fans

Any away fans in the Vulcan Street end were soon removed as soon as there presence was known.

Are you talking about the late 60's? The early 70's were a tad different.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Before my time Steve. When I first went on the Popside they had divided it with a "pen" for ST holders to try and keep home and away fans apart.

It didn't work because fans in the pen had bottles and darts thrown at them by the away fans

Any away fans in the Vulcan Street end were soon removed as soon as there presence was known.

Are you talking about the late 60's? The early 70's were a tad different.

Early 70s in Clough and early Mackay days.

The Normanton end of the PopSide used to have mixed supporters.

Only real bovver I recall was the Airdrie fans!

Maybe I was too mesmerised by what was going on on the pitch to take much notice of what was going on around me.

Like I've often said, it's amazing that some of us made it to adulthood let alone our seventies!image.png.21b18a53058cc3427dfbc00e81199ee6.png

On 18/05/2021 at 06:07, Mucker1884 said:

Where to start?

FA Cup draw on a Monday at 12:30... Live on the radio.
Silk scarves... silk is good!
All-Day Cup Final-Fest on telly... and even the night before!  
FA Cup Semi's NOT at Wembley.
Cup vouchers included in Season Tickets.
Kids using up-turned milk crates to see the action.
Young teens being able to afford match expenses out of their "pocket money".

Probably more later, but need to get ready for work...

All of this plus getting Shoot and Roy of the Rovers every week, Star Soccer with Hugh Johns on a Sunday, the Green Un and always being able to pay on the gate at the BBG. Makes me realise how much I hate modern football!

33 minutes ago, Jayram said:

All of this plus getting Shoot and Roy of the Rovers every week, Star Soccer with Hugh Johns on a Sunday, the Green Un and always being able to pay on the gate at the BBG. Makes me realise how much I hate modern football!

Being able to pay on the gate and terracing.

It goes hand in hand. A group of lads could be having a drink on Friday night when one says shall we go the game tomorrow, two or three say yeah, an hour later two more say the same and before you know it theres a group of you. 

Just turn up, pay, and go and stand together at the match.

Yes you can gain entrance on the day, if you have a customer number and are prepared to get to the ground a good hour before kick off and try and get seats together but Its a ball ache and puts off many casual fans.