Can we assume MM is a rich man

Curtains

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

In administration with a 12 point penalty.  Needing to find maybe £10m to pay the football related debts to remain in the EFL. Having to negotiate with MSD to lease back Pride Park and Moor Farm buildings and Loco Park Estate for the land use. Then having to find a buyer who would negotiate a CVA with the creditors including  HMRC to emerge from administration. If no buyer can be found or the creditors won't agree and the money runs out we go into liquidation. If we can't show the EFL sufficient cash flow to fulfill our fixtures or enter a 2nd season in administration we get expelled from the EFL.

I understood the £10m were the non-football debts from the £60m.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Just because he may be rich, it doesn't necessarily mean he has piles of cash lying around to throw at things. Odds are the vast majority of his wealth is tied up in businesses, investments, properties etc.

With ownership comes responsibility. 

Now, let me make myself crystal clear, I am not kicking a guy when he’s down, I’ve gone on record posting I’d buy him a pint anytime and I stand by that.

However, he would have been more that happy to have been the recipient of the crowd’s adulation had things gone to plan. He’s not averse to a drop of hero worship, who would be ?

A big problem for Mel is he is owner/custodian of something a lot of people have an emotional investment in, some, a lifetimes commitment. If he was trying to get rid of his executive Lear jet because he fell on hard times, it would be none of our business/of no interest to us.

But this is is a commodity that has been a part of the town, then later, the city for well over a hundred years and this is where the responsibility bit comes in for me. Just because it’s all gone Pete Tong for him does not mean he should leave the club riddled with debt which was accrued on his watch. I believe it’s his duty to make the club as attractive a proposition for a reputable prospective buyer at the lowest outlay possible to him.

There is a saying down here that goes “Pay up and look big” and that’s what he really be thinking about.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I understood the £10m were the non-football debts from the £60m.

I thought that the point was £10m ish was football debt and maybe £25m secured debt, meaning it doesn't get cleared by administration. Then the rest will be written down to a percentage, with administration only clearing about £10m - if everything can be agreed.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I thought that the point was £10m ish was football debt and maybe £25m secured debt, meaning it doesn't get cleared by administration. Then the rest will be written down to a percentage, with administration only clearing about £10m - if everything can be agreed.

Daily Mail: "Even if Morris were to give away the club for £1 - and that has been mooted - buyers do not believe Derby to be worth the £60m and more it would cost to cover liabilities in the first year.

One source said: ‘An option is that Derby go into administration to remove part of their debt. However, only non-football debt is wiped off by doing so, and that is less than £10m, which isn’t enough."

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I know this is a crap analogy but I inherited a property when my parents passed away, was very run down and need of serious renovation work, put it on the market no one was interested in it at the price I wanted.....so waiting for a buyer to materialise which never happened I was paying gas, water, electricity, council tax on an empty property straight out of my own pocket.

Eventually decided to pay thousands of pounds to get new kitchen, bathroom, boiler etc put it back on the market for a higher price got a buyer within few weeks BUT I had to offset this against the money I spent on utility bills and renovations otherwise I would have been in the same situation another year down the line.

Surely Morris must see this and realise he has to offset some more of his money to make the club appear a more attractive proposition or be in the same position in 12 months time?

I like the analogy.

I think for paying gas, electric and water bills on an empty property could represent paying wages to Ikechi Anya.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

With ownership comes responsibility. 

I can see Mel donning his Spider-Man costume as we speak. Actually, I've just seen a bloke flying through the air like the famous web crawler until he crashed into one of our floodlights.

I think you need to work a bit more on your spider-sense, Mel.

11 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

he was pre owning Derby, his pockets are a lot emptier now.  People should remember how much of his cash he has put into the club

Why should people remember how much cash he put into the club? Am I supposed to be grateful or something that he has spent c200m (not my figure) running the club into the ground? Mel Morris is a businessman bottom line. This ‘he is one of our own’ cobblers doesn't wash with me, and never has. He has had some successful non-Football related investments, and done very well for himself. His investment in the Rams has been an absolute disaster.

12 months ago this article was run: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-mel-morris-worth-4139848. 268th richest individual in the Country. Not personally going to feel sorry for him that he has got his fingers burnt on his Rams investment.

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

You are right .

Mel needs to talk to the fans first for that to happen.

why in hells name would he talk to anyone on here who deride him blame him for everything that goes wrong. the moaners were not moaning when we spent millions on players just pointing out hypocrites.

Edited by islandram

10 minutes ago, islandram said:

why in hells name would he talk to anyone on here who deride him blame him for everything that goes wrong. the moaners were not moaning when we spent millions on players just pointing out hypocrites.

You’re damn right he’s being derided and moaned at. He’s run this great club into the ground. Possibly the worst owner in our history. We’re a shambles and him and Pearce have let it happen. Do you think he deserves our praises?? 

Edited by enachops

7 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I never quite got what was so bad about the Rams Trust people. They always came over a bit Arnold Rimmer, but harmless enough. What did they do wrong?

That's a good simile.

From memory, considering I was 15/16 at the time and I'm 35 now... bloody hell, and I mainly one side of it through some open lost associations...

Their PR was so bad that it put people off their cause and needlessly made enemies of various people. Some of those people didn't need any assistance with this, as I later found out to a small personal cost, but nevertheless the situation was not helped by the attitude of people representing RamsTrust. 

'They' did some good stuff behind the scenes, probably more than I'll ever know or appreciate, but it took the Rams Protest Group's efforts to pull people together on a wider scale. Even then RT sought to take credit for the actions of others to list them as 'achievements' on their site.  It was a bit of an ego trip for some, or so it appeared.

'They' appeared to take a position of false authority over other fans, controlled what was said and banned folk from message boards (well, RamZone, which turned into a bit of a dictatorship) for a variety of personal reasons, leading to an offshoot message board (Popside)

As I said earlier though I only really saw one side of this. I know Eddie has shared in the past that he had a brick through his window (which obviously is all sorts of wrong) as a result of some of the poo that went on and the toxicity involved.

Basically It all got very personal, it needn't have, but back to the start of the post.. bad PR!

20 minutes ago, islandram said:

Because when a club spends money (any money) on a player, it is not unreasonable to believe that the finance has been worked out, that budgets are in line and so on. It is easy now to conclude that the club has been pretty bad at that. Because one celebrated a transfer at the time then discovered the consequence and became pissed off, doesn't make one a hypocrite.

Truth emerges. People become better informed. All those kids that lapped up Jim'll Fix it aren't hypocrites.

19 minutes ago, enachops said:

You’re damn right he’s being derided and moaned at. He’s run this great club into the ground. Possibly the worst owner in our history. We’re a shambles and him and Pearce have let it happen. Do you think he deserves our praises?? 

No, just some basic human decency and a balanced view / understanding of how we've ended up in this position rather than finger pointing outraged nonsense. Apparently that's too much to expect from some people.

Edited by Coconut

35 minutes ago, islandram said:

That's such a facile comment it's untrue.

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

No, just some basic human decency and a balanced view / understanding of how we've ended up in this position rather than finger pointing outraged nonsense. Apparently that's too much to expect from some people.

I’ve not read everything on here, but generally I think that’s what has happened. People realise Morris had good intentions, but Morris and Pearce, have messed up on a massive scale. Fingers need to be pointed at those responsible for this mess, and those 2 are at the top of the pile. This is a terrible time to be a Ram. People should be outraged that this has happened. It’s mismanagement of the highest standard.

12 minutes ago, enachops said:

I’ve not read everything on here, but generally I think that’s what has happened. People realise Morris had good intentions, but Morris and Pearce, have messed up on a massive scale. Fingers need to be pointed at those responsible for this mess, and those 2 are at the top of the pile. This is a terrible time to be a Ram. People should be outraged that this has happened. It’s mismanagement of the highest standard.

Generally yes but there have been exceptions, vitriol not often tempered by reason.

Naturally the vitriol comes across 'louder' than more reasoned comments. I've ran out of words anyway, I'm tired and need to go to bed 

The really worrying thing is this....all of this is going to take time,finding a buyer,it all going through,finding out our punishment from EFL etc etc 

In the meantime the clock ticks and this was alluded to by Rooney after the last game, I mean lets be realistic  there is every chance this un-certainty is going to rumble on for some time maybe even into next season.

In the meantime we miss potential suitable upgrades, free transfers , players released etc etc and go into next season in far worse shape than when we ended this season maybe even managerless as not sure Rooney will hang around if this rumbles on 

It is a mess and the quicker it is sorted the better but this has been said so many times and at this moment in time we seem as far away from being a settled club than ever......very worrying times indeed .....It would be fantastic to be just talking about football rather than all of this off the pitch stuff.

Haven’t read the whole thread but in simple terms surely the best solution is for Mel to sell the club for a £1 instead of wanting £40 mill and then the new owners use the funds they would have paid Mel to pay off a lot of the debt....or is that too simple? I can’t see many potential new owners being prepared to have to pay for the privilege of taking on massive debts, doesn’t make sense...