Worst gig you have ever been to. Comedy or music.

sage

I'm not sure whether I'm just very careful on who I book tickets to see or whether I have very low standards, but I've hardly ever been disappointed with a gig.

The only one that springs to mind is big fat Forest fanboy Matt Forde getting into an extremely petty argument with Sean Walsh during his Edinburgh review. Both of them were too arrogant to let it go and the state of their passive aggressive "banter" was utterly woeful. I'd call it a dick swinging contest, but that metaphor is far too generous.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/04/2021 at 20:33, Zag zig said:

Music Level 42 NEC arena years ago, I was pretty bored but the missus who was working long days at the time, actually fell asleep. 

I've never been to a bad "solo" gig but have done quite a few of the 80's do's where they have maybe 8 acts on. Level 42 have been the only bad ones on these because they came on and added a boring and utterly self-indulgent 10 minute guitar solo into what few 80's songs they played - and then started playing a load of crap new material. Not what the punters wanted at an upbeat "let's remember the 80's" concert.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I've never been to a bad "solo" gig but have done quite a few of the 80's do's where they have maybe 8 acts on. Level 42 have been the only bad ones on these because they came on and added a boring and utterly self-indulgent 10 minute guitar solo into what few 80's songs they played - and then started playing a load of crap new material. Not what the punters wanted at an upbeat "let's remember the 80's" concert.

Funny you should say that, went to the NEC around 15 - 20 years back I’d say, when they were getting the 80’s revival off the ground. Paul Young was the last one of around 8 acts and genuinely felt embarrassed; soon as he started singing people were leaving in droves. His voice sounded terrible to the husky one everyone remembered, having been treated to Carol Decker preceding him; they were like chalk and cheese. Can’t imagine he had much success afterwards.

I went to a pretty poor new year's eve event at the Southampton guildhall around 2000.

There were various hopeless acts who looked like they'd been hired from the small pub circuit and their acts didn't translate well to a larger venue. 

But the biggest disappointment was Matt Lucas who was in his pre Walliams days and did a very poor and unfunny act as Lord Cholmondley I think, which basically consisted of him wearing tweeds and shouting. 

Mercifully, the event was rescued by the fartistry of Mr Methane..... ?

On 17/04/2021 at 19:18, ramit said:

Simply Red were simply boring, no effort, just going through the paces

Toto, same

I think you'll find that's been their stock in trade for thirty years now. 

Session musicians playing accomplished dad music with a half decent crooner. 

Don't expect Mick H to be biting any bats' heads off anytime soon. 

Music: The Vaccines at Leeds Festival in about 2012, just absolutely crap.

Comedy: A $10 entry at some comedy club in Chicago. First guy lasted about 30 seconds, blinked a lot, mumbled something about the microphone and ran off, second lasted the same. Third guy comes out, scary looking old cowboy type, tells 2 jokes which barely raised a smokers cough at the back, then spend 5 minutes telling the audience if they don't laugh he's going to kill them. After he storms off there's a gap of about 15 minutes, eventually the 4th guy who looked like the ginger bloke off Supersize me, comes out and lasted maybe 3 minutes before he ballsed up the punchline to his one long joke.

Then a guy called "Brian" who must have been the local talent comes on to whoops and cheers, he does a 10 minute bit which just didn't translate well to English, but the Yanks were loving him. 

At least the drinks were cheap.

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think you'll find that's been their stock in trade for thirty years now. 

Session musicians playing accomplished dad music with a half decent crooner. 

Don't expect Mick H to be biting any bats' heads off anytime soon. 

It doesn't seem like it and it's a bit of a scary thought, but it's 34 years since that concert.

Wasn't expecting bat biting or any extravagance but that performance was dull as a butter-knife

7 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

First guy lasted about 30 seconds, blinked a lot, mumbled something about the microphone and ran off, second lasted the same. Third guy comes out, scary looking old cowboy type, tells 2 jokes which barely raised a smokers cough at the back, then spend 5 minutes telling the audience if they don't laugh he's going to kill them. After he storms off there's a gap of about 15 minutes, eventually the 4th guy who looked like the ginger bloke off Supersize me, comes out and lasted maybe 3 minutes before he ballsed up the punchline to his one long joke.

Then a guy called "Brian" who must have been the local talent comes on to whoops and cheers, he does a 10 minute bit which just didn't translate well to English, but the Yanks were loving him. 

At least the drinks were cheap.

Fairly typical Prime Minister's Question Time in the Commons then

On 16/04/2021 at 11:03, sage said:

I got a free ticket to see Simple Minds 19 years ago. Still felt robbed.

Dreadful. 

Used to think Someone, Somewhere in Summertime was their last decent song, but watching it now even this is pretty dull. But it reminds me I used to look and dress like Jim Kerr!

Great thread. For most people's choices I'm not surprised they were awful gigs!

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Used to think Someone, Somewhere in Summertime was their last decent song, but watching it now even this is pretty dull. But it reminds me I used to look and dress like Jim Kerr!

I never really rated them, could only recall Glittering Prize as a decent tune...forgotten this song which turns out is same era and really like it too. 

A young James Acaster was support for Milton Jones at a gig in Chesterfield a number of years ago. Milton had the crowd going in the first half, silly but funny material. This guy comes on whilst Milton had a break and his material was so bad. He ended up picking on a member of the audience for ten minutes to close his time. He was terrible. Felt bad for him because nobody reacted.

Thankfully he is much better when I see him on panel shows. I thought his career in comedy would have died off after seeing that performance. Fair play to him ? 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I never really rated them, could only recall Glittering Prize as a decent tune...forgotten this song which turns out is same era and really like it too. 

Their first couple of albums, Sister Feelings Call etc., were brilliant. Alongside UB40 and Aswad they are one of the most majestic falls from grave in the entire pop world. The money called, they followed and they didn't care one jot what went before.

19 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Oh contraire.

Their first 3 albums were all brilliant and soooo different, but this is rather good imho.

Jim's a huge know so probably listen without the video.

GP was utter garbage.

On 19/04/2021 at 21:00, Carl Sagan said:

The politcal message behind that and Assad's assassination was very clever......but yeh, pretentious, and stilted.

19 hours ago, FindernRam said:

!964 Exeter: The Beatles. 5 support acts, just 10 songs you couldn't hear due to 60's equipment and 2000 screaming girls! Waste of money for 2 tickets and "she" basically ignored me all night and we never dated again! 

Oh shut up! You get to say you saw The Beatles ffs

I've seen lot of comedy and I rarely see anybody I don't like, but......

And btw I clearly liked these people before I saw them and CR and BM I still do.

Lewis Black 

Jim Norton (the worst and still the only comic I have walked out on)

Chris Rock (rant, rant, rant, oooooh I'm getting divorced, rant, rant, rant)

Bill Maher (rant, rant, rant about Trump and then another ran about that *man*)

I worry that I am going to see Jonathan Pie later this year because I'm struggling to think of political comics I love after having seen them.

Archived