Worst gig you have ever been to. Comedy or music.

sage

Saw the Wonder Stuff support the Wedding Present or vice versa. 

Lead singer Miles Hunt called us 'see you next Tuesdays' all night and was almost as unpleasant as his music. 

I left seething at the fact my money may have made life more pleasant for him. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Echo and the bunnymen at Rock City, they were amazing of course, because they are, but Ian Mcculloch just ranted to the crowd all night long about "never forgiving them for Hillsborough" and "You should be ashamed of Clough" etc etc in-between every single song....i thought someone was going to hop on stage and plant him.

Kiss at Wembley Arena in 1988. With them you expect a show but this was not to be the case. They were just going through the motions, no pyro, no kiss logo even! 1996 on their reunion tour was a totally different gig however. That was great.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Saw the Wonder Stuff support the Wedding Present or vice versa. 

Lead singer Miles Hunt called us 'see you next Tuesdays' all night and was almost as unpleasant as his music. 

I left seething at the fact my money may have made life more pleasant for him. 

Strange one that, I've seen The Stuffies possibly more than any other band and never, ever had a bad one. Sorry to hear you got unlucky. Mind you, he went to John Port school so what do you expect???

I was on a cruise and there was this magician that was just horrible. It got so awkward that a lot of people left. After the magician finished the main attraction, a famous singer came on to the stage. At this time the place was half empty and people were stampeding out. The singer looked around the place in disbelief and said something to her band and they started with her biggest hit. People leaving stopped and started to come back, the singer saved the day eventually.

10 hours ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Manic Street Preachers at Hull Adelphi around 1991. All pose and no substance. Saw them a few years later at Pheonix Festival in Stratford and they were brilliant. 

We'll have to start a Phoenix 96 thread. That was my first festival and looking at the line up again now, it was so good. If only I'd gone to see Bowie and Neil Young rather than Bis and Kulashaker!

I think the Manics followed Super Furry Animals and I had to go to toilet and/or water as it was so crazy hot. I was near the back when Manics came on and I heard the opening to Everything Must Go. Some big guys were barging their way to the front, so ran behind in them in their wake and got near the front. I loved Foo Fighters in those early days to and the were incredible.

The toilets were so rank and it was so hot that me and most my mates didn't have a number 2 the whole festival...Thursday morning to Monday when I got home. Getting off the car park in the heat nearly killed off my mate's old Metro. A more experienced driver would have probably turned it off and slept until the queue went!

There was a problem with the water supply too and drinks were very expensive. Some hari-krishners were selling cold cans of pop for normal price and saved the day.

Don't think the festival was ever on again. I loved every minute! 

Saw Mark Watson and Alun Cochrane who were both really poor, but worst comedian was Reginald D Hunter.

I went expecting more of his panel show style humour, but had to endure an hour or 2 of moaning about not getting enough women. Found it pretty uncomfortable and was basically misogyny. 

Saw Frank Skinner about 12 years ago and he was also dire. Unfunny stories about sexual encounters that would have maybe been mildly humorous to 14 year olds. In 1982. It started off ok and he did some non-scripted chat which was more like his tv self. But the scripted stuff was woeful.

Moral of the story....just keep going to see Stewart Lee and Richard Herring. Hopefully one day at the same time again!

Bill Bailey at the NIA 22 November 2007. Problem was we turned up on 29 November to find out the snooker was on! It was our first night out after we had our daughter and we both clearly had baby brain. I’m sure it was a good gig but we didn’t see it, we just went home!

Music was Dire Straits at Sheffield Arena. Technically perfect but so devoid of any performance element that I might as well have stayed at home and listened to the albums. Boring.

Comedy was Freddie Starr at Batley Variety Club. First time I met my prospective brother and sister in law and Starr was drunk, aggressive and frankly, obscene. I spent most of his set in the Ladies hiding. 

Regarding worst comedy show I've seen. All have been good but the only one I could say was poor was Rob Newmans solo spot during a Newman and Baddiel show. Both were good together on stage and David Baddiels solo was excellent. Newmans however was not very good at all.

Very sad to say that The Sex Pistols in Barcelona a few years ago would be up there for myself. Johnny Not so anarchy Rotten, very overweight Steve Jones, a sulking Glen Matlock... its two hours im never getting back. 

Manics too, in Stockholm , with Nicky Wire just spouting off from the stage all night. Self indulgent piffle. 

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

We'll have to start a Phoenix 96 thread. That was my first festival and looking at the line up again now, it was so good. If only I'd gone to see Bowie and Neil Young rather than Bis and Kulashaker!

I think the Manics followed Super Furry Animals and I had to go to toilet and/or water as it was so crazy hot. I was near the back when Manics came on and I heard the opening to Everything Must Go. Some big guys were barging their way to the front, so ran behind in them in their wake and got near the front. I loved Foo Fighters in those early days to and the were incredible.

The toilets were so rank and it was so hot that me and most my mates didn't have a number 2 the whole festival...Thursday morning to Monday when I got home. Getting off the car park in the heat nearly killed off my mate's old Metro. A more experienced driver would have probably turned it off and slept until the queue went!

There was a problem with the water supply too and drinks were very expensive. Some hari-krishners were selling cold cans of pop for normal price and saved the day.

Don't think the festival was ever on again. I loved every minute! 

Great memories. We 'borrowed' the work minibus to travel the 30 odd miles to the festival and got stuck in a 10 hour traffic jam. Eventually arrived at midnight and missed all of Thursday's line up including Bowie! ? Having finally got settled, we had a great weekend. Lots of great performances, the Pistols, Neil Young... We survived on Hooch Alcopops and crisps from what I remember. Didn't sleep and hardly used the loo, sweated buckets... The organisation was terrible and the festival was over sold as there was no Glastonbury that year. Definitely a weekend I'll never forget! 

Worst band I've seen were Wayne County and the Electric Chairs at Reading Festival in 77. The whole site was a sea of mud and they were pelted with so much mud and beer cans they had to go off after a few 'songs'. 

Worst gig by a decent band was Glenn hughes/Tommy Bolin era Deep Purple at Leicester de Montfort Hall. Bolin left his guitar screeching feedback and walked offstage while the whole audience booed. 

Most disappointed I've been at a gig was New Order at Rock City, one of the first gigs since the demise of Ian Curtis/Joy Division. We got in really early and waited hours for them to come on and they played for less than half an hour

Archived