Worst gig you have ever been to. Comedy or music.

sage

Music Level 42 NEC arena years ago, I was pretty bored but the missus who was working long days at the time, actually fell asleep. 

Comedy Chubby Brown, used to think he was hilarious on his dvd’s, but soon realised 3rd time of seeing him, the shock humour quips, like about Princess Di can’t remember how many years after she’d died, just him repetitive and stale; left agreeing with my old man and mates that he badly needed new material.

I saw the Macc Lads at a venue in Birmingham about 25 years ago, I was absolutely wasted but still was dreadful.

The highlight if you can call that of the show was Mr Methane coming on dressed in a green Robin like outfit and farting in time to music and Eddie Sh_t who basically had a costume of skin tight lycra pants with 2 tennis balls shoved down the front.

About a year later I also saw a triple header of Obituary, Coroner and Dismember also in Birmingham which was one of those things you can say you've done in your life, was never really a great fan of death/thrash metal though have a soft spot for Napalm Death.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Robin Ince at a comedy night in Northampton a good few years ago now - completely lost the audience and had to be rescued by Chris Addison. Ince has since done ok on tv but that night was a bad one 

Heard about the Cortinas doing a charity gig in the 70s. Somebody in the crowd shouted out, how much are they paying you? And he said back, nothing. The bloke threw a fifty pence piece at him and told him here's half a quid, now pee off back home. 

Music - Pixies. Played a fairly obscure setlist with none of the 'hits' (Gigantic, Velouria, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Where is My Mind etc). Really thrashy noise-fest and almost impossible to tell one song from the next. 

Comedy - any female comedian. My missus is genuinely really funny and we have this running argument that she is the exception and every female standup is terrible. She cringes now as soon as one comes on because it must be about 10-0 in my favour. 

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Music - Pixies. Played a fairly obscure setlist with none of the 'hits' (Gigantic, Velouria, Monkey Gone to Heaven, Where is My Mind etc). Really thrashy noise-fest and almost impossible to tell one song from the next. 

Comedy - any female comedian. My missus is genuinely really funny and we have this running argument that she is the exception and every female standup is terrible. She cringes now as soon as one comes on because it must be about 10-0 in my favour. 

What year was that you saw the Pixies? I always fancied seeimg them when they first reformed, but not bothered now after lineup changes.

Can't remember seeing many female standups apart from Bridget Christie, who I loved.

Rather than the argument that there aren't many good women standups, I think there just aren't many good standups. And as there are many more male standups, there is a high chance that a good one is a man.

There are also very few who are good more than once. The ones who get famous quickly, get boring just as quickly. I've seen a few just before they got really big, and that was probably their peak. Saw the unknown (to me) Mickey Flanegan at Comedy Store a few years back and he was great. He then did the same jokes for the next 10 years. Similar to Russell Howard and McIntryre.

That Peter Kay Thing and first series of Phoenix Nights were amongst my fave tv shows when they were on. A friend had a spare ticket for Peter Kay a few years later and his whole set was saying "who remembers fuzzy felt" and other childhood things from the 70s/80s. 

53 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

What year was that you saw the Pixies? I always fancied seeimg them when they first reformed, but not bothered now after lineup changes.

Can't remember seeing many female standups apart from Bridget Christie, who I loved.

Rather than the argument that there aren't many good women standups, I think there just aren't many good standups. And as there are many more male standups, there is a high chance that a good one is a man.

There are also very few who are good more than once. The ones who get famous quickly, get boring just as quickly. I've seen a few just before they got really big, and that was probably their peak. Saw the unknown (to me) Mickey Flanegan at Comedy Store a few years back and he was great. He then did the same jokes for the next 10 years. Similar to Russell Howard and McIntryre.

That Peter Kay Thing and first series of Phoenix Nights were amongst my fave tv shows when they were on. A friend had a spare ticket for Peter Kay a few years later and his whole set was saying "who remembers fuzzy felt" and other childhood things from the 70s/80s. 

Must have been around 2000..

We go to small venues where they have 4 or 5 on the bill who are often just starting out.  Obviously a real mixed bag, usually 1 excellent, 1 or 2 good /ok and 1 poor. Every time it's a woman we exchange glances and its like we transmit our tension to them and they are awful...but I admit I'm also kinda glad to win the argument again. 

34 minutes ago, Rev said:

Music - Jake Bugg.

Comedy - Paddy McGuiness.

Both were corporate freebies, Bugg we left after 5 songs, Paddy came with a open bar so toughed it out until the end.

Truly horrendous though.

Reminds me of Stewart Lee's bantz about people moving to the countryside and having a local venue, where they saw Paddy McGuiness, with his joke.

A good few years ago we took our 3 year-old son to see Noddy at Nottingham RCH - all fine until Sly & Gobbo came onstage at which point our son burst into tears and we had to take him outside. Didn’t matter what we said he refused to go back in so we had to go home. I’ll never go to see Noddy ever again.....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

A good few years ago we took our 3 year-old son to see Noddy at Nottingham RCH - all fine until Sly & Gobbo came onstage at which point our son burst into tears and we had to take him outside. Didn’t matter what we said he refused to go back in so we had to go home. I’ll never go to see Noddy ever again.....

I didn't think a 3 year old would have much experience with Slade. Perhaps why he didn't like them.

Siousxie and the Banshees at Victoria Hall, Stoke around 1977 ish.

Awful, she was off her head and screaming abuse at the crowd. The crowd were throwing tins of beer on stage and they were lobbing them back, the bouncers were getting more grief than they could handle and it gradually descended into total mayhem, full on fights, the concert finished early as the police raided the place, running battles in the streets around the venue.....it was pretty much like attending a football match in Stoke back then.

12 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I honestly thought that Noddy had been banned for racist reasons. Have they just removed certain characters?

16 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I honestly thought that Noddy had been banned for racist reasons. Have they just removed certain characters?

They may well have banned him now - this was nearly 20 years ago....

There were some pretty controversial bits in there (not just highlighting the fact that someone had big ears for example)....considered acceptable/overlooked in their time but no way they're o.k. nowadays...