The Waghorn situation

samwcave

Regarding the rumours about waghorn right now.. I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on it. 

In my opinion, I think it’s unfair of Rooney to bring this into the public eye. Never really seen anything like this, and think if a player ‘hasn’t been trying in training’ it’s only right to have a private conversation with him afterwards. The sibley thing a couple days ago seemed harsh, but turned out to be great man management in the end. Not sure if this is an attempt at getting a reaction from waggy, but if is then it doesn’t seem like a very smart way of doing so. Bit Disappointed really. 

what’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, samwcave said:

Regarding the rumours about waghorn right now.. I wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on it. 

In my opinion, I think it’s unfair of Rooney to bring this into the public eye. Never really seen anything like this, and think if a player ‘hasn’t been trying in training’ it’s only right to have a private conversation with him afterwards. The sibley thing a couple days ago seemed harsh, but turned out to be great man management in the end. Not sure if this is an attempt at getting a reaction from waggy, but if is then it doesn’t seem like a very smart way of doing so. Bit Disappointed really. 

what’s everyone else’s thoughts on this? 

Agreed.

This should be behind closed doors.

I'm increasingly disliking Rooney's methods.

There’s no doubting that he’s had a horrible season. However it seems very strange for him to go from having a really good training session on one day to not trying the next. Something makes me think there is more going on here than just effort in training. 

1 minute ago, JarodyDCFC said:

There’s no doubting that he’s had a horrible season. However it seems very strange for him to go from having a really good training session on one day to not trying the next. Something makes me think there is more going on here than just effort in training. 

He suffers with depression. Could be that or it could be a lack of contract coming up. In a couple of months he's likely looking for another club, so perhaps he isn't as forthcoming in training if it's high contact. 

Either way we have a manager who doesn't seem to have the capacity to manoeuvre questions in the correct manner.  Every interview seems to involve him whinging about someone's attitude in training, in an effort to detract from questions about his awful square peg/ round hole selection policy and clueless management.  

Every circus has a clown, from what i gather Waghorn is a jovial character and from what i understand from his interview Rooney was mainly displeased with Waghorn's attitude in training.  The club is in dire straits, we have many young players who look to the senior players for guidance, perhaps Rooney feels each session should be approached  as preparation for an upcoming hard battle and fooling around is therefor not appreciated.  This i can understand, but going public with it is quite severe and perhaps over the top.

14 minutes ago, ramit said:

Every circus has a clown, from what i gather Waghorn is a jovial character and from what i understand from his interview Rooney was mainly displeased with Waghorn's attitude in training.  The club is in dire straits, we have many young players who look to the senior players for guidance, perhaps Rooney feels each session should be approached  as preparation for an upcoming hard battle and fooling around is therefor not appreciated.  This i can understand, but going public with it is quite severe and perhaps over the top.

It's displacement,pure and simple.

Blame others for your duck ups.

Wayne's got a very long road ahead of him if we wants to be successful in football management.

Hopefully not with us.

36 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Wayne's got a very long road ahead of him if we wants to be successful in football management.

Hopefully not with us.

Hope you are wrong about that, such a scenario would be very damaging to morale

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hopefully not with us.

It does not take a great leap of imagination to find someone close at hand who could have a very beneficial impact as the club faces a critical situation.

On the Waghorn side, probably been told he's out at the end of his contract, or randomly just decided he's given up on the season? Passionate falling out over methods/selection/tactics is possible but doesn't sound like it from what Rooney said.

On the Rooney side, yeah, I don't like these things being put in the public - could've said anything from "he picked up an issue in training" (a classic hides a multitude of sins answer) to "i just felt this was the best squad to go with" - there's ways of not throwing players under the bus even if you're livid with them behind closed doors.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

On the Waghorn side, probably been told he's out at the end of his contract, or randomly just decided he's given up on the season? Passionate falling out over methods/selection/tactics is possible but doesn't sound like it from what Rooney said.

On the Rooney side, yeah, I don't like these things being put in the public - could've said anything from "he picked up an issue in training" (a classic hides a multitude of sins answer) to "i just felt this was the best squad to go with" - there's ways of not throwing players under the bus even if you're livid with them behind closed doors.

The slide has been apparent for a sustained period now so would be interested to understand what the tipping point this week was. 

As a number of far more enlightened posters than myself have already alluded to including yourself not sure what benefit Rooney would gain in calling someone out publicly other then spray some poo in another direction.

Like if someone gets suspended from work you don't say that, as a business you say the person is going to be off work for a period of time. Or if they then get sacked it's sufficient to say they have now left the business. And let people draw their own inferences without having to state it. Actually naming the reasons only serves as a slur on the individual and is totally unprofessional.

5 hours ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Agree with this - seems odd to be training well one day and then throw him under the bus the next. In which case why go public on it. Seems a huge gamble by Rooney to set down his management style, hoping the players come with him when we are in such a perilous position 

Im glad he's been called out. About time someone has the balls to single out players. His performances like many others this season have been terrible. 

We have a group of players that look like they care (but might not be good enough) and some that look like they aren't bothered. 

Not every manager we've had in the psst 5 years is a bad manager. The players have to take responsibility. You're in a relegation battle. Get your head down, work hard and get out of it. Its not a time to be messing about. 

I think there are some posters who are jumping on anything slightly negative to bash Rooney because they’ve made their mind up and it suits their narrative. The Sibley criticism imo was unjustified. 

However I’ve got to admit this situation doesn’t sit easy with me. Waghorn has not been near his best this season but something that has never been in question in his Derby career is his honesty and commitment. Yet Rooney here is basically questioning Waghorn’s professionalism - I don’t think there is a bigger insult you can put on a footballer.

Clearly his working relationship with Waghorn is over. Hopefully he can get enough from the rest of the squad to get the job done without one of his most senior pros. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

could be a lack of contract coming up. In a couple of months he's likely looking for another club.

This.

Waghorn is able to talk to whoever he wants with him being at the back end of his contract, His agent will I would have thought been on the phone to clubs about his availability, His wages would be a stumbling block I guess, The money that was offered 3 years ago is no more, Players will be shown the door to ply their trade at a vast reduction of their wages.

WR is to honest for his own good at times, A reporters wet dream, Sibley 1st now Waghorn, It all makes intriguing reading and some will put 2+2 and come up with 5, Drop him and say nowt would have been my option, But was this Waghorns 1st time at doing what he was reported at doing.

Never a dull moment being a Derby supporter

To put an opposite spin on this, since CKR picked up his injury, Rooney had almost certainly intended to have Waghorn as his main striker at Stoke. They will have worked out tactics and trained with that setup in mind.
If they got to training on Friday and then Rooney  found that Waghorn was dicking about, taking the piss, and/or distracting the younger players then you can understand him being furious - as he said in the post-match interview, if the players didn’t realise they were in a relegation battle, they do now. Maybe the behaviour he saw from Waghorn suggested he wasn’t taking the club’s predicament seriously....

Everyone that has ever played with Rooney has pointed out his absolute professionalism when it comes to playing the game (whatever mistakes he may have made off-field) - as a manager he expects the same approach from his players - and he’s made that plain numerous times.
Waghorn has clearly done something that indicates he doesn’t have the same attitude - if there’s a danger that affects the rest of the squad, then we’re going to get relegated.
Rooney had to drop him and send a very clear message that he needs to get his act together for the good of the club.... making that public may seem harsh but maybe he figures that’s the only way to get the message through - or maybe he was furious that because of Waghorn‘s behaviour, he’d been forced to play a clearly unfit CKR and as a result we’d produced such an inept performance....

11 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

To put an opposite spin on this, since CKR picked up his injury, Rooney had almost certainly intended to have Waghorn as his main striker at Stoke.

Or the opposite.... Despite CKR being injured, Rooney told Waggy that he still wouldn't be playing.

Archived