v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

7 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

You know how games in hand work right? Can guarantee if we were on level games with the teams below us currently we would possibly be 23rd 

eh?

How can you "guarantee" that?

If all teams below us win their games in hand wouldn't we be 21st?

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

A proper manager who had us bottom of the table by 8 points and winless in god knows how many games 

yer ducking brilliant he was

have a day off will u 

You seem to be very tetchy, maybe you should have a day off too. Or can’t you take people having different opinions ?

In fairness a highly experienced manager with experienced players managed to carve out a 1-0 win against a struggling side their general high line defensive tactics closed off our threats (as much   as we had any) still a worrying position for us regardless 

I think we will have a purple patch after t’international break. Tom Lawrence has a huge part to play in us avoiding the drop.

Its hard going at the moment, but we can’t start berating the players, it’s important to keep confidence levels up.

As for the management team, let’s be avin you, get it sorted over the break.

It is getting incredibly frustrating to keep hearing it’s not good enough from players and the manager. The squad we have is nowhere near up to the standard needed to compete in this league. 

I will say it again teams don’t have to work anywhere near hard enough to score against us, coupled with our lack of goals means we are not going in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

but we can’t start berating the players

That's exactly what we should be doing. The performance is in no way acceptable or even close to acceptable. 0 shots on target vs another bang average team. 

I didn’t watch the game or listen to it - we lost 1-0 no overall surprise 

we need a refresh in the summer we all know that - and I mean the players 

hopefully we will still be in the championship if not we might not need new players ( not that we will have any money to spend) 

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

You seem to be very tetchy, maybe you should have a day off too. Or can’t you take people having different opinions ?

Not only that but I'm pretty sure weren't winless or bottom by 8 points either ?‍♂️ He's been saying we're certain to go down all year anyway so I guess we just have to wait and see. He must have known Bielik was going to snap his knee again, unlike the rest of us.

This was a game that we should have won if we'd applied the correct tactics. If we'd have done our homework we'd have realised going long against a backline of 6ft plus goliaths was a bad idea... The midfield duo of Mikel and Allen if we'd have got our tactics right would have been easy to overrun and outmanoeuvre which was the big weak link for them. The only times we looked remotely threatening was when we played the ball on the ground ran with it and moved. One example was Byrne breaking through the midfield and giving it to CKR at the end of the first half. The duo for stoke couldn't keep up with him and we had their backline dropping off creating space. We should have been doing that the entire game, giving it to players who are athletic and good dribblers, running it through their midfield and giving them options to pass it off to or draw away defenders to open space up for a shot. 

We needed to press the backline (which we didn't in the first half and only for 15 mins in the second) and not allow those two time on the ball. Instead of punting it long into no-mans land and relying on our wingbacks to cross it in- we should have been playing it through the midfield.  We lacked any forward ambition for the entire game and the plan essentially seemed to involve crossing it into the middle hoping shinnie or sibley would bang one in from a second ball. 

We allowed Stoke to have the entire first half where we didn't lay a finger on them. The second half we pressed more and looked a little better, then Rooney made 3 changes and we went back to the same issues of the first half. Tactically, Rooney like last Saturday got this horribly wrong and has cost us a game we should have at least got a point from and probably all 3. Frankly, I am struggling to see where the goals or the points are coming from and I think it's 50/50 whether we'll survive or not. Rooney should NEVER have been appointed in the first place, it was mismanagement of the highest order and Mel Morris needs to take a long hard look at himself over this. It's an absolute shambles and the sooner Rooney and his sub-standard coaches are shipped out of here the better. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

That's exactly what we should be doing. The performance is in no way acceptable or even close to acceptable. 0 shots on target vs another bang average team. 

Bang average definitely but we have performed well against the better sides in the league and fairly crap against all the others but that’s what makes us Derby county - so fantastically different 

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I'd agree in part, but these players for two seasons have performed at this level. How many of these players would you be sad to see leave, are they subject to awful tactics or not carrying out as they are being told.

Anyone who has kicked a ball on a football field will tell you that tactics only account for part of the game, the players are the ones that have to put them into practice and they aren't doing that.

It's clear playing multiple shapes, multiple formations and doing little but hoofball is a tactical decision by the current manager because it's substantially different from what we saw under Cocu. If the players can't implement his vision then he's got to change the vision. It's clear that these tactics aren't working, the shapes he's using (multiple ones over games) are a mess and the reliance on the wingbacks to create chances isn't sustainable and never was. The squad is not any worse than Millwall's so then what is the difference?  

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So I will give you 60 seconds on the coach microphone on the way back from Stoke....what would you say to the group???

Archived