v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Iv not said a lot last few weeks cos it’s been utterly depressing and unlike many happy clappers I saw this coming a ducking mile off while so many had their heads in the clouds 

I saw this coming when we lost the playoff final and Mel said he wanted half the team to be academy players. When we let experienced players go and didn't replace them. When we filled the squad up with loans and free agents. This has absolutely everything to do with how the club has been run. Let's be honest, it's all about the players. If your recruitment isn't good enough you've got no hope.

22 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The other common theme is arguabely the whole "setting up for the championship" line which came about post Blackburn and has been a recurrent theme with the current management team. Which whilst has an element of merit has been pushed to a degree that has been detrimental as we seem obsessed with "matching the opponent" above all else.

Yeah agree with this, I wish we’d go out all guns blazing not giving a stuff about how the opponents plays/lines up. Just take it to some one, go for it, I’d love that and actually think it would do us some good. 

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

I saw this coming when we lost the playoff final and Mel said he wanted half the team to be academy players. When we let experienced players go and didn't replace them. When we filled the squad up with loans and free agents. This has absolutely everything to do with how the club has been run. Let's be honest, it's all about the players. If your recruitment isn't good enough you've got no hope.

That's partly true. As there's the philosophy that people can be nurtered, coached, mentored to becoming a higher performing person and that a mediocre bunch of people can be welded into a very powerful teamworking unit.

But yer Rooney doesn't seem to be capable of progressing any of these valid processes so the team is only as good as the sum of the individuals and the individuals haven't developed one iota under him

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Yeah agree with this, I wish we’d go out all guns blazing not giving a stuff about how the opponents plays/lines up. Just take it to some one, go for it, I’d love that and actually think it would do us some good. 

It's been one weird undercurrent to the season. We look bereft going forwards one game only to name a more defensive line up the next. It's really weird that not once have we really looked to name a line up to attack them from minute 1.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bored them to death....

I'm sure more than less of them would of preferred being bored to death than relegated and ending Ipswich's 63 year stay in the top two tiers of English football than stuck in Div 1 since 2019.

I know I want Derby County to stay in the Championship this season at any cost and I'm willing to be bored to death if that is what it takes........

I’ve not given up on the idea of developing the academy graduates, but I think you need a great coach to do so - maybe someone like Graham potter. Not a rookie. Not a rookie with ego-baggage and a fruit cake sidekick. 
And it can’t be done at the expense of maintaining a squad. 
we have allowed key areas of the the team to be stripped bare. Especially central defence and the attacking midfield creatives. 
this is all the consequence of our over spending on wages and unrecoverable transfer fees. 
the appointments of Sam rush and Chris Evans were the start of all the madness. And Mel willingly took us headlong into a financial gamble that has failed. 
right now we have little option but to stomach the strong medicine, slashing wages accordingly.
But it could take us at least a decade to recover.

Just now, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I just wonder how many of these players actually want to be playing for Derby next season. On today's showing not many.  Rooney's inexperience as a manager is revealed and the youngsters must be feeling confused and disillusioned with some of the more senior players showing a poor attitude. We desperately need to get the ownership of the club sorted out, the appeal issue settled and get an experienced management team in. Everything is a complete shambles! The city of Derby and the many loyal fans are being let down by all concerned.

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’ve not given up on the idea of developing the academy graduates, but I think you need a great coach to do so - maybe someone like Graham potter. Not a rookie. Not a rookie with ego-baggage and a fruit cake sidekick. 
And it can’t be done at the expense of maintaining a squad. 
we have allowed key areas of the the team to be stripped bare. Especially central defence and the attacking midfield creatives. 
this is all the consequence of our over spending on wages and unrecoverable transfer fees. 
the appointments of Sam rush and Chris Evans were the start of all the madness. And Mel willingly took us headlong into a financial gamble that has failed. 
right now we have little option but to stomach the strong medicine, slashing wages accordingly.
But it could take us at least a decade to recover.

I think you are right if MM has gone the academy route why not do that from day one and have the funds to support it rather than last chance saloon which we are in now.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Shocking to hear about Waghorn, cannot be having players with that kind of attitude around the squad. No way does he get a new contract now, it’ll be goodbye and good riddance in the summer.

Further emphasises the point I was making about this squad though. They just don’t care enough. Not up for the relegation fight one bit.

Seems strange he is suddenly like that as he has always seemed like a real worker before who gives alot but who us just lacking the quality finish we would want him to have. There has been suggestion of lack of effort before especially when we have talked about why he keeps getting picked on here. Why the sudden change?

3 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Seems strange he is suddenly like that as he has always seemed like a real worker before who gives alot but who us just lacking the quality finish we would want him to have. There has been suggestion of lack of effort before especially when we have talked about why he keeps getting picked on here. Why the sudden change?

I agree, Waghorn has never been someone I would have suspected as being a bad apple. I wonder if him and Rooney have had a falling out over something? Wouldn’t be a surprise, it seems he fell out with Holmes as well.

Really starting to get worried now - the new manager bounce is over. When Rooney was first appointed there was a lot of scepticism- no experience , not the manager we need in a relegation dogfight , etc. But he won a few games and all was forgotten. But now we are right back in it. 
Numerous changes to the team each match, changes in formation halfway through the game, calling out players , players apparently not training, constantly playing to match the opposition rather than playing to our strengths, playing players out of position.

Not posted in ages but really worried we are sleepwalking towards League 1

Changes in formation 

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree, Waghorn has never been someone I would have suspected as being a bad apple. I wonder if him and Rooney have had a falling out over something? Wouldn’t be a surprise, it seems he fell out with Holmes as well.

Well, Waghorn posted a video this lunchtime on his Instagram story of him scoring against Stoke in 2019.

I definitely think there's been a falling out!

11 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ram said:

Really starting to get worried now - the new manager bounce is over. When Rooney was first appointed there was a lot of scepticism- no experience , not the manager we need in a relegation dogfight , etc. But he won a few games and all was forgotten. But now we are right back in it. 
Numerous changes to the team each match, changes in formation halfway through the game, calling out players , players apparently not training, constantly playing to match the opposition rather than playing to our strengths, playing players out of position.

Not posted in ages but really worried we are sleepwalking towards League 1

Changes in formation 

Do we even have any?

We got our results by being more direct, I think we need to go back to that.

We have looked relatively solid with a back 3 so we need to stick with that. Kept a clean sheet with it away to Barnsley and 2nd half vs Brentford then both Stoke & Millwall created nothing against it but scored from a set piece.

3412 is the formation I think we should go with. Go long to 2 strikers and play off them with 1 in the cam and the wingbacks keeping the width.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It's well documented Waghorn has struggled with his mental health before. Funny you mention Holmes because he's since said he's been struggling hasn't he?

It's just bizarre how he could go from being praised for his training one day, to being dropped from the squad altogether two days later with an accusation of 'not trying in training' as the reason for it.

Praised one day, criticised the next, not a good mix really if you're struggling for confidence or just struggling in general.

As you say it doesn't sound like he's a trouble maker so what's happened?

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

It's well documented Waghorn has struggled with his mental health before. Funny you mention Holmes because he's since said he's been struggling hasn't he?

It's just bizarre how he could go from being praised for his training one day, to being dropped from the squad altogether two days later with an accusation of 'not trying in training' as the reason for it.

As you say it doesn't sound like he's a trouble maker so what's happened?

Rooneys comment on it doesnt sound like its training related really - 

"Friday, in my opinion, wasn't acceptable in terms of the behaviour not so much the training."

46 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

None of us know the back story here do we. For example, could be that Waghorn has just been offered terms for next season at 40% of his current pay and he feels a bit disrespected? Who knows. 

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Do we even have any?

We got our results by being more direct, I think we need to go back to that.

We have looked relatively solid with a back 3 so we need to stick with that. Kept a clean sheet with it away to Barnsley and 2nd half vs Brentford then both Stoke & Millwall created nothing against it but scored from a set piece.

3412 is the formation I think we should go with. Go long to 2 strikers and play off them with 1 in the cam and the wingbacks keeping the width.

Yes I agree - I think Rooney worries far too much about setting up to counter the opposition than us playing direct forward football which we first played with Rooney 

Archived