v Stoke City (A) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I wouldn’t say over-hyped academy, overly reliant on academy players more accurate....

I don’t see any of the current crop ever getting in a top 6 championship side to be honest, maybe it’s down to management capability however. 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There is little doubt in my mind that a better more positive manager would be getting more out of the squad than is currently being displayed. 

This one and the last one haven’t, neither of them hardly lack in football knowledge. 

Just now, Andicis said:

The idea that this is all about the players is nonsense in my mind. We've got at the very worst a serviceable Championship team, a coach with a plan could get these lot out of trouble no problem. 

If we were coasting to a lower midtable position or if we were performing in games but just not getting the rub of the green or if we weren't so questionable tactically and so inconsistent with it; I'd probably say fair enough. But make no mistake the current managerial team should not escape questions when it comes to our current predicament.

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

I think we will have a purple patch after t’international break. Tom Lawrence has a huge part to play in us avoiding the drop.

Its hard going at the moment, but we can’t start berating the players, it’s important to keep confidence levels up.

As for the management team, let’s be avin you, get it sorted over the break.

The only purple patch we'll have is @DarkFruitsRam7pants and they have more chance of avoiding the drop than TL will give us!

39 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No apology needed feller.... We're all pretty fed up with everything. 

I think we just don't have a common view of what to do about it. 

I just hope we can come up with something in time to stay up. But truthfully I can't see what this management team will do to improve us next season. 

Agree and Thankyou 

39 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Probably better than what we are currently serving up to be fair.... ask the Cardiff fans.

McCarthy kept a very average Ipswich side out of trouble year after year with no money before leaving - the following season they went down to L1 and have stayed there since. I’d have had him over Rooney in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

This was a game that we should have won if we'd applied the correct tactics. If we'd have done our homework we'd have realised going long against a backline of 6ft plus goliaths was a bad idea... The midfield duo of Mikel and Allen if we'd have got our tactics right would have been easy to overrun and outmanoeuvre which was the big weak link for them. The only times we looked remotely threatening was when we played the ball on the ground ran with it and moved. One example was Byrne breaking through the midfield and giving it to CKR at the end of the first half. The duo for stoke couldn't keep up with him and we had their backline dropping off creating space. We should have been doing that the entire game, giving it to players who are athletic and good dribblers, running it through their midfield and giving them options to pass it off to or draw away defenders to open space up for a shot. 

We needed to press the backline (which we didn't in the first half and only for 15 mins in the second) and not allow those two time on the ball. Instead of punting it long into no-mans land and relying on our wingbacks to cross it in- we should have been playing it through the midfield.  We lacked any forward ambition for the entire game and the plan essentially seemed to involve crossing it into the middle hoping shinnie or sibley would bang one in from a second ball. 

We allowed Stoke to have the entire first half where we didn't lay a finger on them. The second half we pressed more and looked a little better, then Rooney made 3 changes and we went back to the same issues of the first half. Tactically, Rooney like last Saturday got this horribly wrong and has cost us a game we should have at least got a point from and probably all 3. Frankly, I am struggling to see where the goals or the points are coming from and I think it's 50/50 whether we'll survive or not. Rooney should NEVER have been appointed in the first place, it was mismanagement of the highest order and Mel Morris needs to take a long hard look at himself over this. It's an absolute shambles and the sooner Rooney and his sub-standard coaches are shipped out of here the better. 

........we tried to do a Millwall........without the Mill or the Wall.

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

This one and the last one haven’t, neither of them hardly lack in football knowledge. 

This one it's debatable whether he does or not. He wouldn't be the first great player to make a poor manager. 

The last one I grant you but he did get a good season before the aberration at the start of this. The reasons why weren't at it then are different to the reasons now though with the only overlap being a proclivity to be defensively minded and a bit too trigger happy to make whole sale changes to the first team.

The other common theme is arguabely the whole "setting up for the championship" line which came about post Blackburn and has been a recurrent theme with the current management team. Which whilst has an element of merit has been pushed to a degree that has been detrimental as we seem obsessed with "matching the opponent" above all else.

1 minute ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Going to use that brilliant analogy to my kids to motivate and inspire them, not taking the p!ss.

Not heard that before and so true. ?

Sums up our approach to games recently!

I agreed with the lineup mostly.......but the tactics we’re a huge problem.

Sat too deep, huge gap between 7 defensive players and the 3 “attackers” who had to live off scraps and close down.

Sibley again deployed as an inside left forward to either watching the ball get pumped over his head or chasing aimless balls into the channels. Absolutely no point him being on the pitch and so it was he got taken off.

For me this is another game thrown away before a ball had been kicked. We are trying to outsmart the opposition..........but it rarely works.

What did work was playing our own game 2nd half against Bournemouth......but as usual we threw that progress away.

At what point will the management wake up?

13 minutes ago, superzak said:

Its not the academy itself thats overhyped...its the quality of player its producing that is over hyped. I cant see many of the current crop making it to the premiership.

Call me optimistic but I honestly think that Bird, Sibley, Knight, Buchanan and Watson all look like they'd have a reasonable shot at developing into premiership players with the right coaching as they've all shown flashes of that level of ability.

I still think our mistake this season hasn't been relying on them and has been more not trusting them enough. 

Archived