F1 2021

Gaspode

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Quite hypocritical of Lewis to be moaning on the radio about Max changing tyres during the red flag, he seemed to forget Silverstone and Imola this season.

I saw that as a moan about the team, not the rules.

In all the chaos, it's been forgotten that it was a bad call to pit Lewis so early. They knew a red flag was likely and that track position was key, and they know the rules under red flag conditions. Half the nonsense of the race could've been avoided if they kept Hamilton ahead.

2 hours ago, sage said:

They should deduct Verstappen half a point.

This will make it a cleaner race 

I’d love to verstappen crash into Hamilton on purpose, but it’s done in such a dirty manner, that every other car on the grid quits in protest, leaving Lewis to walk the rest of the way for the point he needs. Verstappen realises what’s happening, and it ends in a foot race to the finish line. 

26 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’d love to verstappen crash into Hamilton on purpose, but it’s done in such a dirty manner, that every other car on the grid quits in protest, leaving Lewis to walk the rest of the way for the point he needs. Verstappen realises what’s happening, and it ends in a foot race to the finish line. 

You mean he should Schumacher him? Risky though, in 94 he was WDC, in 97 he tried again but didn't get away with it.

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

Then watch Hamilton take them both off!

Shame the title could be decided by that non race in Belgium.

Oh yes, I keep forgetting that is being counted as one of verstappen's wins.

That was abysmal.

And if it been declared null and void like it should have, Lewis would be leading the championship.

Oh well, if my granny had wheels she'd be a bicycle....

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Someone’s watched Talladega Nights recently ? 

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Someone’s watched Talladega Nights recently ? 

I totally forgot about that. Although the scenario did remind me of the end of Pixar’s Cars. Max has a blow out at the end. The race ends as a dead heat. They have a race off in a weeks time, but in the meantime Max spends a week tarring a road in a backwater village and finding some humility.

Bottas somehow wins the race off, and everyone learns lessons. 

I don't see Hamilton winning being an 'asterisk' event at all. Quite the opposite. The Silverstone crash is his only debatable piece of driving IMO and that came after a series of races where he ceded track position to avoid an accident. Even then, Max could have taken the outside line, but he's a bully-boy and expects everyone to get out of his way, probably because most do.

If Verstappen wins, however, folk will point to an absolute litany of unsavoury and dangerous scenarios for which he has been solely responsible. They'll also ask why RB were allowed to race with a non-compliant wing, then given several more races to produce a legal aero set up, all without being a single penalty being applied, yet when Merc had a damaged wing that was 0.2MM out of regulation (on one side only), they received an instant grid penalty. RB have also been allowed to tinker (read 'develop') a supposedly faulty rear aero set-up under parc fermé conditions, a concession that defies all parc fermé regulations. Parc fermé regs exist purely to prevent teams from such behaviour and yet Mercedes, nor any other team, have been afforded any such grace and favour. 

On top of Verstappen's lengthy list of misdemeanours, there's also a lengthy list of other calls made by the FIA this season that have been made purely to artificially create a closer competition and this on top of the regs brought in purely to negate Mercedes' advances in hybrid engine tech.

In Jeddah, even Verstappen's race engineer criticised his behaviour. Max well and truly crossed the line and Horner, Marko and Verstappen Sr. need to consider their part in 'creating' an environment that has not curbed Max's aggression so much as cultivated and encouraged it. Verstappen's raging narcissism has never been so clear as when he flounced off the podium like the petulant, spoilt child he is. Once again, the fans attending the race made sure he knew what they thought of his antics, but this boy will never consider the reasons why, simply because he's been hard-wired not to. It's shameful, especially given he is one of the few who has the God-given talent to race wheel to wheel AND maintain diver standards, but instead he's so self-obsessed that he instead thinks he's the one who has been hard done by. It's frankly embarrassing.

All of this said, this WDC has given race fans the most gripping and hard fought season of F1 since Senna-Prost, if not ever and for me it's been totally compulsive viewing. Both drivers will be under extreme scrutiny in Abu Dhabi and rightfully so. Let's hope there's no repeat of the the idiocy we've seen from RB in recent races and that we'll not have to listen to Horner lying though his teeth about 'not having seen the telemetry' for Verstappen's brake-testing of Lewis which, the most cringeworthy interview I've ever seen in F1, even worse than his mithering to the media over the Mercedes wing which has been repeatedly tested by the FIA at his demand, yet found fully compliant. Anyone bar the most casual of race fans will know that he sees the numbers in real time and that he knows the stewards will have access to the data soon after the race, but rather than man up, he instead brought further shame and disrepute to a team who have become absolute pariahs within the F1 community. Both he and Marko really should consider their positions, as I think they've almost become untenable given the damage to the RB brand. Of course they won't, so perhaps the RB higher-ups will quietly 'invite' them to do so during the off-season, out of the public glare. One can only hope!

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Once again, the fans attending the race made sure he knew what they thought of his antics

They booed Hamilton as well, not just Vertsappen... 

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I don't see Hamilton winning being an 'asterisk' event at all. Quite the opposite. The Silverstone crash is his only debatable piece of driving IMO and that came after a series of races where he ceded track position to avoid an accident.

Personally not sure I like what Mercedes have done with their engine and I don't really think it's in the spirit of the competition.

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Personally not sure I like what Mercedes have done with their engine and I don't really think it's in the spirit of the competition.

Huh? They took a new engine unit for which they received a mandatory grid penalty which is something all teams do when the old unit starts to lose power output. What exactly are you then suggesting they've done that's not in the spirit of the competition? The Mercedes 'gain' is also more to do with the issues RB are having with their aero set up, so you seem to be suggesting that it's OK for RB to run an illegal rear spoiler but not for Merc to totally legally replace their power unit...

22 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I totally forgot about that. Although the scenario did remind me of the end of Pixar’s Cars. Max has a blow out at the end. The race ends as a dead heat. They have a race off in a weeks time, but in the meantime Max spends a week tarring a road in a backwater village and finding some humility.

Bottas somehow wins the race off, and everyone learns lessons. 

It’d take a lot longer for that to happen…

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Excellent.  Now I don't have to watch it on my ipad...

Enjoy my friend I will stick with Sky's coverage. Hopefully Lewis can win his 8th drivers championship. If he doesn't and Verstappen wins the championship fair and square on Sunday's race I will be the first to congratulate him even though I do not like him, Horner or Red Bull. 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

Enjoy my friend I will stick with Sky's coverage. Hopefully Lewis can win his 8th drivers championship. If he doesn't and Verstappen wins the championship fair and square on Sunday's race I will be the first to congratulate him even though I do not like him, Horner or Red Bull. 

Whichever one does win it, it will be well deserved, it's been a fantastic season. Both have had some amazing drives, at parts the red bull has been faster, at parts the metake on Max's driving being rcedes faster, each of them has scrapped tooth and nail when they didn't have the faster car.

I still find it hard to like Red Bull and Karen Horner, and I have my take on Max's driving being a bit "problematic" (I don't think he's dirty or cynical particually, i think he just doesn't have any concept of playing the game or picking his battles and how racing works, he'll just go until there's a crash or a penalty and even then the penalty was wrong and the other guy should've got out of my way - it's a mentality thing with him)

19 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I still find it hard to like Red Bull and Karen Horner, and I have my take on Max's driving being a bit "problematic" (I don't think he's dirty or cynical particually, i think he just doesn't have any concept of playing the game or picking his battles and how racing works, he'll just go until there's a crash or a penalty and even then the penalty was wrong and the other guy should've got out of my way - it's a mentality thing with him)

Narcissistic man-child. He's being persecuted by the FIA he reckons...

Max Verstappen says he is treated differently from other drivers when it comes to the rules on fair racing.

His comments raise the stakes at the start of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend, where Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton will race to decide this year's Formula 1 title.

Verstappen said: "It seems other drivers do the same things and only I get a penalty.

"The only thing I ask is that it's fair for everyone. That's not the case."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59593834