Why have we been getting worse in recent weeks?

DCFC Kicks

Why have we been slowly getting worse in recent weeks?

Is it because of Bielik's injury?

Is it because Rooney keeps changing the lineup/formation every game?

Has the initial boost when Rooney first became manager worn off?

Have the January arrivals unsettled the team?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cos you can't keep scabbing a goal then defending a lead for ever, sooner or later the opposition will score first and then we have no answer. 

If we concede first then at the very, very best we will get just one point out of the game. History has shown this. 

5 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Without Bielik we really are very one dimensional. I think Rooney is discovering that this group of players can only be hard to beat. As soon as you try anything more than just stopping the opposition we come unstuck.

That is all we try to do isn't it and that doesn't work either

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Just look at the squad we have, there is no quality, if you were from any other championship team there isn't really any player you would take from our team, which says it all really.

Two seasons now we have struggled, the manager will get the blame but it runs deeper than that, we haven't brought any quality into the club and are placing a reliance on an academy that hasn't produced a proven quality player since Will Hughes. Time to accept this is what it's going to be like for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Stopped doing the things that got us out of the mess we were in. We looked lethargic and devoid of ideas going forward. It's hard to explain why though. Complacency maybe? Who knows, but we need to snap out of it quick before we end up back where we were. 

I honestly don't think the current bunch (who are fit) are good enough.

Bielik's absence has also massively affected Joswiak. The two of them have/had an instinctive understanding. The loanees haven't added quality (of all of them my favourite is Edmondson - yet played out of position at Cardiff). and the arrival of 5 new faces may have unsettled a tight knit squad. 

Yet while we can grumble at the players (it's the Derby way), we also need the structure of the club to be sorted. We wouldn't have brought in 5 loanees if we'd had long term funding in place before the Window. You've now got a sizeable chunk of the first team squad leaving at the end of the season, you've got our most talented youngsters permanently linked with moves and no long term planning going on. 

I think people are quite correct pointing out Bielik’s injury as a turning point in our fortunes but I would add, get used to a team without him as I don’t think he’s going to want to be around the mediocrity we are seeing these days.

Ah, But Wayne says we’re going to recruit well in the summer, really ? what with ? We’re stoney broke. 

Sorry for coming across negative, I’ve had the optimism knocked out of me this week, we’ve had opportunity after opportunity to cement our safety in this division in the last few weeks and chose not to take it.

9 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Obviously Bielik is a big blow, but one player doesn't make a team. Bigger concern is why Bielik going has dramatically changed our style of play so much. Yes we will be weaker in that area, but it shouldn't alter the way we try to do things.

Rooney's tactics I now find very frustrating. It's almost like he's resorting to Cocu tactics. Focusing on the opposition so much that the only way we will score is via Shay Given coaching them the set piece routine. All successful clubs have an identity and a way of playing that they stick to no matter what. Just look at Leeds for a perfect example, they change for no one.

It appears the new manager boost has gone now and it is probably a bit of a reality check for Rooney now.

I don't think the new signings have unsettled us to be honest. We were desperately short on numbers.

24 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Yes all of the above, and rosenoir is a waste of space

Lack of movement and bravery. Bielik was the only player brave enough to make himself an option or make a ‘risky’ pass. Everyone is so safe and plays the ball backwards or sideways because the team is still so shot of confidence. Nobody wants the ball because everyone is so scared of being pressed and losing it. 

Possession football isn’t working for many teams across the country at the moment, because the fans aren’t there on the player’s backs to motivate them to move or try and make something happen. Look at Liverpool, for instance. You could argue injuries have affected them, but like them we just look so defeated lately, like we’ve accepted defeat by the time the opposition have scored, and no one is willing to even try and make a chance. 

Not sure why we’ve stopped going direct. Looking back at highlights from the Birmingham game, majority of our chances come through Bielik winning the second ball in the opposition’s half after a long goal kick. No one is winning the second balls at the moment and if we do we just look to play it back to our centre backs. I still think there’s a great player in Bird, he’s tidy in possession but he’s so shot of confidence that he prefers to just hide behind the opposition, because that way at least he’s not doing anything wrong. Perhaps he’s scared of losing the ball because of how many times he got pressed and lost it earlier this season? 

Currently our players are working in conjunction to create as little as possible. Even the players in our team which have even an an ounce of creativity in their play are given no option through the pathetic movement off the ball from our attackers and midfielders, forcing a negative pass. Nobody wants to help one another out at the moment, we’re starting to dwindle and not look like a team. Recently we are once again looking like a group of individuals who all expect too much of one another. 

Archived