The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

One issue I don't often see being raised about the relaxation of restrictions and the scrapping of mandatory mask-wearing is that with the infection rate rising as rapidly as it is, it provides the perfect platform for the emergence of vaccine resistant strains. Whilst everyone focusses on the 'decoupling' between infection rates and hospitalisations (not truly decoupled btw but substantially weakened thanks to the success of vaccinations) we would be back to square one completely if we encouraged the spread of a vaccine-resistant strain. If that happened I don't think the government would have the backbone to go back into full lockdown and from what I gauge the current mood to be of Joe Public I don't think it would be followed regardless. Then you've got those who are immunocompromised and haven't been able to have jabs which the scrapping of mandatory mask-wearing seems unfair on too. This is why some of the restriction measures being scaled down are dangerous, please be careful and consider continuing to wash your hands/wearing masks as much as possible.

Edited by BrudeRAM

1 hour ago, Archied said:

So the supposed opening up on the 19th is turning into a bizarre mess which in my humble opinion will cause very big problems and divide people ,from ordinary mask/ no mask to employers v workers and unions , is it just as simple as boris being a populist who doesn’t want to hitch his wagon to one side of public opinion or the other until it’s clearer which side is in the majority ??‍♂️

Boris is trying to open up to some kind of normality & quicker than the other UK regions.

I thought that's what you wanted.

39 minutes ago, BrudeRAM said:

One issue I don't often see being raised about the relaxation of restrictions and the scrapping of mandatory mask-wearing is that with the infection rate rising as rapidly as it is, it provides the perfect platform for the emergence of vaccine resistant strains. Whilst everyone focusses on the 'decoupling' between infection rates and hospitalisations (not truly decoupled btw but substantially weakened thanks to the success of vaccinations) we would be back to square one completely if we encouraged the spread of a vaccine-resistant strain. If that happened I don't think the government would have the backbone to go back into full lockdown and from what I gauge the current mood to be of Joe Public I don't think it would be followed regardless. Then you've got those who are immunocompromised and haven't been able to have jabs which the scrapping of mandatory mask-wearing seems unfair on too. This is why some of the restriction measures being scaled down are dangerous, please be careful and consider continuing to wash your hands/wearing masks as much as possible.

I think the way the country has been in the past few months, the mask/no mask will make virtually no difference.

Also - variant escapes are going to happen as well regardless of the mask/no mask. However - I've seen scientists comment that there will be no variant which current vaccines won't have some impact on. 

Also - immunity is building up through vaccine or catching the virus. That will ultimately help in the long run.

Appreciate everyone has a different opinion though on the matter. I'm looking forward to not wearing a mask and will as much as possible avoid places which are making it mandatory.

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Had the conversation at work yesterday about mask wearing in the office. Took the view in the end not to make them mandatory.. We have lots still working from home, so plenty of space really. We did a quick straw pole and nobody voted to keep them.. 90% double jabbed as well.

My wife's firm have a wristband system. 

Red - do not approach without me without a mask.

Yellow - happy to talk at 2m+.

Green - give us a hug.

I pointed out that it's quite hard to see a wristband without getting close, so they should adopt headbands with coloured feathers, like a native American Indian.

Like all my good ideas, she dismissed it immediately.

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

Green - give us a hug.

I pointed out that it's quite hard to see a wristband without getting close, so they should adopt headbands with coloured feathers, like a native American Indian.

If that was forced on me, I would Sioux 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Green - give us a hug.

Tell her about colour blind people, the wristbands won't work!

Whereas, 1 feather for give us a hug, 2 feathers for happy to talk at 2m+, full indian headdress for keep the f. away weirdo ? 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Green - give us a hug.

I've long advocated that people who choose not to be vaccinated should have their heads painted purple - not so that other folk could avoid them - purely so that the NHS could ignore any of them that turn up with covid symptoms......

38 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I've long advocated that people who choose not to be vaccinated should have their heads painted purple - not so that other folk could avoid them - purely so that the NHS could ignore any of them that turn up with covid symptoms......

We've suddenly noticed on our business park that a lot of vehicles are driving round with hazard lights on and one of us said maybe that's a new rule for the un-vaccinated.

Of course then the list of suggestions for the idenitification of the unclean expanded somewhat. My favourite was that they should be forced to wear Michael Myers masks from Halloween.

56 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

We've suddenly noticed on our business park that a lot of vehicles are driving round with hazard lights on and one of us said maybe that's a new rule for the un-vaccinated.

Of course then the list of suggestions for the idenitification of the unclean expanded somewhat. My favourite was that they should be forced to wear Michael Myers masks from Halloween.

Simple , just don’t let them have a groovy gang sticker for their Facebook page ?????

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I think hazard lights are a bit like fog lights - everyone knows how to turn them on, but very few know how to turn them off.....