Rooney's interviews

rad1919

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve never been a celebrity and, at my age, don’t think I ever will be, so it’s hard to know and understand what that constant attention must be like,  but it has always seemed to me that having been in the public eye since the age of 16 our Wazza has generally been damaged by the experience until the last few weeks. All his public utterances until recently have been guarded, cliche ridden and an object lesson in how to speak lots of words without saying anything of any importance. Given what he’s had to deal with over the years from our media (some of it caused by his own mistakes) I can’t say that I blame him too much but it gave me less confidence in him.

Since he became manager someone - agent, Fergie, Mel, Colin Gibson or @Owen87ITK or Coleen - has persuaded him to talk human. He’s much the better for it. Much more inspiring. Perhaps he was always like that off camera and with other players and coaches but as manager the public facing element of his job is equally important. And he’s doing well. Long may it last.

Just now, ilkleyram said:

I’ve never been a celebrity and, at my age, don’t think I ever will be, so it’s hard to know and understand what that constant attention must be like,  but it has always seemed to me that having been in the public eye since the age of 16 our Wazza has generally been damaged by the experience until the last few weeks. All his public utterances until recently have been guarded, cliche ridden and an object lesson in how to speak lots of words without saying anything of any importance. Given what he’s had to deal with over the years from our media (some of it caused by his own mistakes) I can’t say that I blame him too much but it gave me less confidence in him.

Since he became manager someone - agent, Fergie, Mel, Colin Gibson or @Owen87ITK or Coleen - has persuaded him to talk human. He’s much the better for it. Much more inspiring. Perhaps he was always like that off camera and with other players and coaches but as manager the public facing element of his job is equally important. And he’s doing well. Long may it last.

I think he’s relaxed, feels more confident, maybe feels more comfortable as a manager?

I’ll say this though. Of all the manager’s I've worked with since covering Derby, he is undoubtedly the best to deal with. 

Like many I was sceptical when he was first given the nod, but he’s blown me away with how he’s handled everything, media & football. He’s genuinely engaged with the academy in a way I haven’t seen from a previous manager, too.

Think he’s going to go a long, long way. Hopefully with Derby, of course! 

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Yeah, I thought this as well. He always seemed kind of aukward and woodern in player interviews. Since becoming manager, he seems in a lot of ways (just in interviews anyways) a lot more free and natural.

6 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

An acquaintance of mine used to work for Rooney. He said he was very quiet and shy away from the game. I agree that he seems to have matured and grown in confidence in front of the cameras and microphones.

To be honest the one thing I really didn’t think he’d struggle on is handling press conferences, simply because he spent years being prepared for such situations on England duties.

Do a quick google on Wayne Rooney England press conference and you’ll see what I mean. Some go way back and the honesty in his answers are always there. He doesn’t hide and says exactly like it is. Doesn’t matter how eloquent it’s spoken, the knowledge and understanding of the game is obvious, otherwise he’d never have made England captain.

He’s media savvy, spent years in the spotlight answering on field questions, now his maturity is shining through too. He’s doing well in everything he handles right now and has enough mentors, contacts and above all else a decent set of coaches to help along the way.

In Wazza we trust. 

Based upon his appearance and some of his actions a lot of people automatically assumed he is a neanderthal. I can still remember a lot of the comments wrote about him on this very forum and saying the same thing at the time.

He knows football, he has a footballing brain, he has always come across well in interviews to me, is it that he has changed or we are taking more notice he is now our manager and the pre determined mis conceptions that went before him are starting to be forgotten ?

He certainly comes across as knowing what he’s talking about, at least. Been pretty impressed with the way he analyses games, he’s surprised me a lot in that respect to be honest, this is coming from someone who was very much against his appointment in the first place of course. He doesn’t speak in soundbites, he just says straight up what he’s seen out on the pitch - what went well, and what needs to improve. Very simple, and a breath of fresh air with his honesty. Seems to have a lot more tactical insight than many would give him credit for.

31 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

I think he’s relaxed, feels more confident, maybe feels more comfortable as a manager?

I’ll say this though. Of all the manager’s I've worked with since covering Derby, he is undoubtedly the best to deal with. 

Like many I was sceptical when he was first given the nod, but he’s blown me away with how he’s handled everything, media & football. He’s genuinely engaged with the academy in a way I haven’t seen from a previous manager, too.

Think he’s going to go a long, long way. Hopefully with Derby, of course! 

Cheers for the heads up @Owen87ITK. The thing, for me,that stood out from your post is how engaged he is with the academy. It makes sense with how we stand financially at the moment, in the sense that he's going to have to utilise that talent more and more until things change.

What surprises me most is that he's more engaged than Cocu was. I always got the impression he was the man with his finger on that pulse in respect of aligning all age levels in a certain style of play. 

I always thought that in some ways that might have attributed to Cocus downfall. That his micro management of all levels caused him to take is eye of the ball with the 1st team. Of course it wasn't as simple that as there was a whole lot of other things going on too.

I think Wayne Rooney is so engaged with the academy because he recognises himself in it, he spoke early on when he arrived as a player, how Knight reminded him, of himself as a player, and WR appreciates and understands what it was like for himself as a young player at Everton, and he knows and understands if you are good enough to be in the team it does not matter what age you are, but he also recognises and understands how important it is to manage and coach young talent to maximise everyone's outcome to benefit the team.

Wayne Rooney Derby County Football Club's Captain, Coach & Team Leader.

4 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I think Wayne Rooney is so engaged with the academy because he recognises himself in it, he spoke early on when he arrived as a player, how Knight reminded him, of himself as a player, and WR appreciates and understands what it was like for himself as a young player at Everton, and he knows and understands if you are good enough to be in the team it does not matter what age you are, but he also recognises and understands how important it is to manage and coach young talent to maximise everyone's outcome to benefit the team.

Wayne Rooney Derby County Football Club's Captain, Coach & Team Leader.

That's a very good point @Inverurie Ram.

Having broken into the Everton side at a very young age he'll know exactly what it takes both ability wise and mentally to cope with 1st team football. What better mentor could a young player want? 

Erm I think when it comes to him, erm talking to the media he erm seems better now than he use to. Erm the reason for this could be a number of changes. Erm maybe he’s had some erm guidance, erm maybe he’s just erm a little more relaxed in front of the erm camera. We have erm started improving massively erm since Wayne erm took over and erm maybe he’s erm enjoying it more. 

In all seriousness though, he is doing a great job and long may it continue. I’m so happy he’s at our club. 

Archived