Rooney's interviews

rad1919

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/02/2021 at 12:31, DCFC1976 said:

Rooney isn’t and never will as eloquent as say Lampard but you can tell from his news conferences that he knows what he wants and what he’s talking about when it comes to football. I do believe he will eventually become a better manager than Lampard but that is just my opinion.

The players seem to like him (see George Evans’ comments after moving to Millwall) they respect him for what he has achieved and he has identified what was needed (hard to beat / clean sheets) and I think over time he will make us more expansive and more of a “footballing side” but everything will be based on hard work and honesty.

He already is. Seriously. Not hyperbole. 

On 16/02/2021 at 13:46, 24Charlie said:

My God a couple of months ago he was a fat useless to$$er. Now he’s the greatest public speaker since Churchill.

Football fans know no middle ground.

The guy is doing OK. We see potential let’s stop bigging him up. He’s done nowt yet.

You need to draw a distinction between the people saying the former and the people saying the latter. They are not the same people. And in any case, we are talking now about Rooney the manager, not Rooney the player. 2 different sets of people and 2 different roles. I've seen enough from Wazza to know that he has the ability and the factor x to be a top manager. I never thought that about eg Phillip Cocu. I liked Phillip Cocu but he never said or did anything to make me think he had any great potential. In contrast to Wazza - from whom I've seen a lot already. 

On 16/02/2021 at 13:46, 24Charlie said:

My God a couple of months ago he was a fat useless to$$er. Now he’s the greatest public speaker since Churchill.

Football fans know no middle ground.

The guy is doing OK. We see potential let’s stop bigging him up. He’s done nowt yet.

Saving us from relegation at present. He will turn his attention to promotion next season.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

You need to draw a distinction between the people saying the former and the people saying the latter. They are not the same people. And in any case, we are talking now about Rooney the manager, not Rooney the player. 2 different sets of people and 2 different roles. I've seen enough from Wazza to know that he has the ability and the factor x to be a top manager. I never thought that about eg Phillip Cocu. I liked Phillip Cocu but he never said or did anything to make me think he had any great potential. In contrast to Wazza - from whom I've seen a lot already. 

Wayne wants to get promotion with Derby County. The financial situation and Covid would have given lesser managers all the justifiable reasons to complain that they needed. Wayne has concentrated on the football and developing the players. This already shows how good he is. He has been a credit to Derby County. Mel will surely have a rethink if we are in the top three at Xmas and have crowds filling the stadium despite no takeover. We have had so many players who looked less value than what we had to pay. Wayne is showing us that excellent management can make cheaper players look more than value for money. Colin looks like he would run through a brick wall for us. Shinnie, Knight, Byrne, Lee, Marshall, Clarke, Bird and Wiz cannot have tried harder. Edmundson has simply come in at the level required. Waghorn has not been scoring but certainly has been trying. Kamil is still adjusting and he plays better when Bielik is around. Wayne knows how good the younger players are at Derby County. These young players are learning quickly that training very hard and following instructions on the pitch is the only way forward. Some of the loans coming in may have been surprised at how difficult it is to get in this team. All the players and fans are now accepting that the tactics of Wayne are the key to success and that it is a team and squad game. Lawrence will find that Wayne can turn him into a consistent high performer but he will soon be back on the bench if he does not work hard for 95 minutes. Same goes for all the players. We will be much more dangerous as a team when we have four good wingers with two coming on after 60 minutes. However if Wayne thinks that we need three CHs in a game then that is what it will be. So many times in the past we have reacted after we let a goal in. When you are not a high scoring team this is not the way forward. At present we are a side that needs to score first in games. The Forest game will be dictated by whichever side scores first. Go to it Colin, this is the game that you need to win for us. Few players have had the impact that you have had on the Rams after so few games.

One thing I like about Rooney's interviews is he doesn't come out with all the usual cliches and excuses that managers are re-known for. 

He clearly and simply  explains how he saw the match and reasons why he did certain thing and makes no excuses. 

He doesn't dodge any direct questions but will give a considered answer.

It shows he has learnt (through years of being involved with them) how to deal with the press. 

He has all the attributes to became a excellent manager never 'seems' to get agitated or flustered at anytime. Keeping his emotions under check. while still getting across what he needs to say.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

He may not be the brightest person in life, but if there's one thing Wayne Rooney knows, it's football. 

He looks to be building a better foundation than Frank did. Most of Frank signings have gone now. Shinnie seems to be three times the player that arrived here. Have we ever had a harder working player. The players are improving all the time under Rooney. However the most startling improvement to me seems to have been achieved by Shay Given. No way was it possible to improve our set pieces to this degree. We look fairly lethal from corners and free kicks like never before. The combination of combative muscular defenders and Kazim in the box getting this quality of crosses did not exist until recently. Edmundson looks like a bull in a China shop at corners. Long may it continue.

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Wayne wants to get promotion with Derby County. The financial situation and Covid would have given lesser managers all the justifiable reasons to complain that they needed. Wayne has concentrated on the football and developing the players. This already shows how good he is. He has been a credit to Derby County. Mel will surely have a rethink if we are in the top three at Xmas and have crowds filling the stadium despite no takeover. We have had so many players who looked less value than what we had to pay. Wayne is showing us that excellent management can make cheaper players look more than value for money. Colin looks like he would run through a brick wall for us. Shinnie, Knight, Byrne, Lee, Marshall, Clarke, Bird and Wiz cannot have tried harder. Edmundson has simply come in at the level required. Waghorn has not been scoring but certainly has been trying. Kamil is still adjusting and he plays better when Bielik is around. Wayne knows how good the younger players are at Derby County. These young players are learning quickly that training very hard and following instructions on the pitch is the only way forward. Some of the loans coming in may have been surprised at how difficult it is to get in this team. All the players and fans are now accepting that the tactics of Wayne are the key to success and that it is a team and squad game. Lawrence will find that Wayne can turn him into a consistent high performer but he will soon be back on the bench if he does not work hard for 95 minutes. Same goes for all the players. We will be much more dangerous as a team when we have four good wingers with two coming on after 60 minutes. However if Wayne thinks that we need three CHs in a game then that is what it will be. So many times in the past we have reacted after we let a goal in. When you are not a high scoring team this is not the way forward. At present we are a side that needs to score first in games. The Forest game will be dictated by whichever side scores first. Go to it Colin, this is the game that you need to win for us. Few players have had the impact that you have had on the Rams after so few games.

Space.  Paragraphs.  Breath.

#thinkofothers

33 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Can you create a team of actual players with names of philosophers? Ancient Greek preferred, but will accept Roman or even later european, kante(e) is close

I thought Odysseus showed real potential playing at No10 but he goes missing too often.

Archived