Kaide Gordon - signed for Liverpool

rynny

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And that is the whole point that we've been chasing around this thread. ?

I dont know why they can't just say to Gordon " listen mate we will let you go but we've done a lot for you over the years so can you sign a pro contract so we can get what we think you're worth which will help the club massively in this tough time " ????? And he still gets his move ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I dont know why they can't just say to Gordon " listen mate we will let you go but we've done a lot for you over the years so can you sign a pro contract so we can get what we think you're worth which will help the club massively in this tough time " ????? And he still gets his move ?‍♂️

Agree, don't know why. Don't know why he hasn't signed before either.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And that is the whole point that we've been chasing around this thread. ?

Probably but not my point which was in reply to a message around 1m not to be sniffed at. In my opinion, he would have been sold no matter what and if that's the philosophy going forward you may as well save yourself 6m a year and close the academy.

24 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

? I didn't say we could, I just said it's not a good deal.

However hypothetically if he signed a pro deal, then I'm guessing he could get more ?

Not sure that he would be worth anymore if he had signed a pro contract, it doesn’t change the fact that he’s 16, not even played a full season at u18 and never played an U23 game.

16 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Probably but not my point which was in reply to a message around 1m not to be sniffed at. In my opinion, he would have been sold no matter what and if that's the philosophy going forward you may as well save yourself 6m a year and close the academy.

And you know that how? There's not just him coming through though is there. 

It is a shame but good luck to him. If he’s as good as people seem to think then he should rightly back himself to get in at Liverpool. People can say it stinks all they like but I would imagine there were no such complaints when we profited hugely from the sale of Jayden Bogle who we took from a smaller clubs academy, or as a slightly different example when we capitalised on Wigan’s situation to bring in two top end Championship players for about a quarter of a million. It is unfortunately the way the game works.

From a hard nosed financial perspective it would be better for him to go to more of a middling club as there is more chance of a sell on being activated that way but never mind.

15 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

Not sure that he would be worth anymore if he had signed a pro contract, it doesn’t change the fact that he’s 16, not even played a full season at u18 and never played an U23 game.

True, but the ceiling I believe is lifted ?

For the kid - you can look at Derby and see a pathway into the First team. We've shown that over the last few years.

Thing is - you can probably do the same at Liverpool (Trent, Williams, Jones of the top of my head). If he genuinely believes in himself enough, then he may go on and make it. I could see why you go to Liverpool over Chelsea or so on.

Still, you win some, you lose some and a kid who has not yet appeared for the first time, receiving a seven figure fee is probably a bonus for us. Lets be honest, in our P&L accounts, his book value is zero!

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Who says we haven't? But it would mean him staying here for another year as he wouldn't be able to sign a deal until October therefore next window to move next Jan.

Also worth baring in mind his older brother (Kellan) also came through our academy and is now plying his trade in League 2, this could also play a part in his decision making? He might think moving on to a bigger club will help him progress his future more than we did for his brother, who knows.

40 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

He cannot sign a professional contract until he turns 17 which isn't until October

I was presuming from all the 'talk' about it that he'd implied he didn't want to sign anyway? But it is what it is, we need the money or we keep a potentially good player. #COYR

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

People on the thread was saying £1 Million is not sufficient.

I think it is because statistically speaking, he's unlikely to actually ever make the grade and become a player of value. 

We're also a selling club and we're in a buyers market right now. Anyone who has money to spend, fair play to them, because you'll get some cracking deals at the moment.

'Statistically speaking' takes the entire youth roster into account, where 'statistically' most won't make it. 

I'd be willing to bet 'statistically speaking' the best few from each age group do make the grade.

He doesn't need to sign a pro-contract, just a pre-contract and he does not have to wait until October to do so. Had he not refused / decided to keep options open / wanted to leave the club (select your preferred / most credible option), I'd wager we'd be looking at a fair bit more than a million and perhaps there wouldn't be so much shade getting chucked at the club from certain quarters. 

Heyho, he's off or so it seems. Let's take the cash from the big boys eh, and be damn grateful for it. Yes massa, thank you massa, three bags full massa. Doubtless Citeh, Manure and Liverpool will now be keeping a careful eye on our academy to see what other younger players they can tap up and prise away before they sign a pro-contract.  ?‍♀️