New Manager

dantheram

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Can someone who is really high on Paul Cook, explain to me why ? 

I get that he's a had a good half season at this level but that seems to be about it.....

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something given he seems so high on people's lists? 

Plays good football, very good with youngsters, done excellent in his last 3 jobs, all clubs that were skint/had some kind of problems, got them all promoted and kept them in the division above comfortably. None of them have continued his longevity, they have all sunk when he left which shows you how much he was getting out of their players.

You can call it a good half a season but they were already fairly safe, then got another points deduction and pretty much got safe again. They had something like 8 clean sheets in a row at one point, for a club like Wigan in this division, that is an amazing achievement.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Didn’t he have parachute payments and a squad and budget to envy any others in the league 

basically they were meh ... beat everyone else to mitrovic in the January window and he fired them up 

I’d be sceptical about this guy 

I want a seasoned hand .. someone with a real grounding in the English leagues, not a one season wonder

I cba to argue about this, disagree massively but fair do's

4 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Lampard worked out because of Mount, Wilson and Tomori. Without those 3 loans, we don’t finish in the top 6. I agree with you that we shouldn’t be chasing big names and should go for a manager who is going to get us playing good football

Well, he did sign them so he deserves the credit for their success. They were also much better players after a season under Lampard than they were then they arrived, I don’t think that’s a mark against Lampard’s record.

FWIW the advantage of having a “big name” is it’s easy to convince young talents being loaned to the championship that you’re their number one destination.

Just now, Leicester Ram said:

Well, he did sign them so he deserves the credit for their success. They were also much better players after a season under Lampard than they were then they arrived, I don’t think that’s a mark against Lampard’s record.

FWIW the advantage of having a “big name” is it’s easy to convince young talents being loaned to the championship that you’re their number one destination.

Yeah I get that. Would Rooney or Terry have the funds or ability to get big prospects in on loan in January? If that’s what it would take, and there’s no guarantee we would be able to, then that’s much to big a risk for us to take

7 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Didn’t he have parachute payments and a squad and budget to envy any others in the league 

basically they were meh ... beat everyone else to mitrovic in the January window and he fired them up 

I’d be sceptical about this guy 

I want a seasoned hand .. someone with a real grounding in the English leagues, not a one season wonder

He got Watford up

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

It may sway the player but I doubt it has any impact on who the club choses to loan their player too.

We got the Chelsea players because they were grooming him for the main job there.

5 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

A little birdie has told me that there has been talks with terry all very informal at this stage but they’re meeting this coming week. Terry is Mels top target. Call me tarry the ram 

Mel Shouldn’t be anywhere near choosing the next manager

18 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

Plays good football, very good with youngsters, done excellent in his last 3 jobs, all clubs that were skint/had some kind of problems, got them all promoted and kept them in the division above comfortably. None of them have continued his longevity, they have all sunk when he left which shows you how much he was getting out of their players.

You can call it a good half a season but they were already fairly safe, then got another points deduction and pretty much got safe again. They had something like 8 clean sheets in a row at one point, for a club like Wigan in this division, that is an amazing achievement.

Hasn’t he got a win % of over 40% with each of his clubs ?

Archived