New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

How much faith do u have in your contact 

I honestly think if we get Rooney we’ll go down 

Not enough to come on here and be adamant that it’s happening but my source would be more ITK than me and most posters on here I’d say. 

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

And yet some want Mac back again 

shat on us and showed his true colours when Newcastle came knocking 

It’s a fact ... an unpopular one 

but I remember many were apoplectic when he refused to put the Newcastle rumours to bed 

many here blamed it for our season falling apart 

short memories it seems 

53 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Didn’t he have parachute payments and a squad and budget to envy any others in the league 

basically they were meh ... beat everyone else to mitrovic in the January window and he fired them up 

I’d be sceptical about this guy 

I want a seasoned hand .. someone with a real grounding in the English leagues, not a one season wonder

When he took over Fulham were in a right mess if I recall correctly, the previous two managers had blown throw a lot of the parachute money and they were firmly languishing at the bottom end of the table. Jokanovic takes over half way through a season where they are firmly in a relegation fight and guides them clear. I think he had some money to spend but I can't ever remember him throwing around silly money and a lot of that was raised off the back of selling McCormack.

Following season is a top 6 finish. 

Season after that they get promoted finishing 3rd. This was the season they signed Mitrovic half way through. Saying Mitrovic fired them up is overlooking that he'd already built a good side and Mitrovic was the final touch. (He would have probably got that player earlier in Martin if it wasn't for our meddling).

He also took Watford up after they were initially in a right mess (he was the 5th coach in as many months if recall correctly). 

I just don't know how you can conclude him as a one season wonder. As far as I can tell he's the best realistic option.

When I think about the wins over Stoke and Blackburn last season showing how we are capable of playing football when we move the ball quickly I really don’t get how anyone can suggest the likes of Alladyce and McCarthy, I know he’s gone to Greece but I wouldn’t pay money to to watch any of their teams.

Also a no from me on Howe, Terry, Benitez ( buys 20 players to find 5).

As for the likes of Adkins, Mac3,  give me strength.

Happy to give Rooney a shot and can’t really understand the opposition to this, otherwise I like Paul Cook as a manager but unlikely to be given a chance here.

1 hour ago, wollatonram said:

Plays good football, very good with youngsters, done excellent in his last 3 jobs, all clubs that were skint/had some kind of problems, got them all promoted and kept them in the division above comfortably. None of them have continued his longevity, they have all sunk when he left which shows you how much he was getting out of their players.

You can call it a good half a season but they were already fairly safe, then got another points deduction and pretty much got safe again. They had something like 8 clean sheets in a row at one point, for a club like Wigan in this division, that is an amazing achievement.

Fair answer. Cheers. I had the impression they were a bit agricultural in play style but I could be wrong. 

Can't say I'm keen but I appreciate your response.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Fair answer. Cheers. I had the impression they were a bit agricultural in play style but I could be wrong. 

Can't say I'm keen but I appreciate your response.

I like Paul Cook he did a good job at Wigan he knows the Division and whenever I’ve heard him in the press he’s always come across well but is he the big name the new owners want? 

26 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Have a feeling Terry is being lined up. Whilst he’s a natural winner with good contacts. I can’t help feeling this job now needs someone who knows what they want and knows how to get it. Can’t see Terry coming in and turning us in to a steam rolling powerhouse. 

I don’t particularly want Rooney despite my contact telling me he’ll get the gig. 

Can’t say the shortlist looks great outside of Howe, Cook and Big Sam and I can’t see Big Sam taking the gig. But we had to sack Cocu so let’s hope we get some overdue luck with this next appointment and their subsequent reign.

I think either Rooney or Terry has probably the highest risk of candidates we've seen to see us go down. It's just such a big risk that they might fall flat on their face. 

Appointing Rooney would raise a lot of questions for all the wrong reasons. He was a part of the coaching set up whilst being a player and even if it isn't true there will be two thoughts that float around "did he make this happen" and "he contributed to getting us into this mess". It's a horrible combination of lack of experience and  lack of a clean break. It's possible with the right no2 it might be ok but it would still leave a bitter taste.

With Terry there are less overt issues beside experience, put simply we just can't chance it on someone who has no experience right now.

30 minutes ago, Rampant said:

My (realistic) choice would be one of Mac3, Wassall, Cook, Lowe, Bowyer or Robins. Less realistic and I'll have Benitez.

What is the fascination with Wassall!!!??? Hull away 2-0, in a nothing to lose game? That’s it. 

Rotherham away? MK Dons at home? Hull first leg? 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How can you compare him with Jim Smith?

sorry Jimbo, you need to read the context better. 

To clarify, I am NOT comparing Allardyce with Smith (although he's more successful than Smith). I am suggesting the snobbery of ignorant fans is similar. I worked for the man who appointed Smith, and he received hundreds of letters from fans suggesting Smith wasn't good enough and saying "I'm never coming to the Baseball ground again!"

46 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yep i wouldn't be against that

Nor me.... Better than the alternatives offered at the moment.

For those saying Mac as an assistant to nobodies (in the managerial sense), utter tosh !

Frank was an exception to the rule because of those around him and his contacts to bring in verified talent.

We shouldn't be selling Derby short just to appoint a 'name' with no managerial nouse for the sake of PR and media attention.

I really hope the new owners have a contigency plan other than Rooney and Terry..... (in the words of Shane Nicholson) 'I really do'

Archived